Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
AussieHunter
.224 member

Reged: 29/08/07
Loc: Outback, NSW, Australia
12 Gauge Slug Recoil
      #96119 - 06/02/08 05:01 PM

Ok, let me start by saying i know nothing about shotgun slugs. I went into the gun shop the other day to get my usual box of 00/SG buckshot to shoot pigs with. While i was in there i asked him about slugs and how would they perform on pigs, he said they would be worth a go and he gave me a box of 25 slugs which have no markings on it to tell me what kind they are. My question is, what will the recoil difference be between the 00 buckshot and the slugs or compared to a rifle caliber?
Sorry i cant give you more details on what type the slugs are.

thankz

Edited by AussieHunter (06/02/08 05:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: AussieHunter]
      #96127 - 06/02/08 08:52 PM

I can't believe a gunshop would sell you ammunition which did not have explicit details on the box ??! Normal slugs out of a 12 bore shotgun are like a heavy 36 gram HV load out of a 7 1/4 lb gun freehand but a lot worse off a bench, regards, Mike Bailey

AussieHunter
.224 member

Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #96128 - 06/02/08 09:10 PM

Quote:

I can't believe a gunshop would sell you ammunition which did not have explicit details on the box ??! Normal slugs out of a 12 bore shotgun are like a heavy 36 gram HV load out of a 7 1/4 lb gun freehand but a lot worse off a bench, regards, Mike Bailey

Well i think the brand is "Magic" or something like that in a red and blue box (the box is not with me now), it has a picture of a dog on the box. I just dont know the exact load thats all. Can you compare the recoil to a rifle cartridge Mike?

cheers

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #96146 - 07/02/08 02:29 AM

Many of the slugs available on the market are rather frangible and lack penetration on heavy game.
; They should, however, do for pigs that can be killed with buck shot.
; Recoil will be similar to buck loads.
; When considering shooting slugs, one should always pick up several brands with different slugs and shoot them deliverately to find which shoot well enough. They are not all equal and different guns shoot them differently.
: Many people don't realize a 12 bore with slugs, buckshot or heavy duck loads kicks about the same as a heavily loaded .45/70 marlin, getting close to a 9 1/2 pound .458.
; Indeed, a 3" 12, with 1-7/8ounce puts out about 54 pounds recoil - close to identical to a .458.
; 2 3/4" kick less, but not a lot less.
; Felt recoil is a subjective thing to some extent - some people 'feel' more than others.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AussieHunter
.224 member

Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: DarylS]
      #96163 - 07/02/08 08:25 AM

Thanks Daryl

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #96167 - 07/02/08 09:56 AM

Aussiehunter, I have been trying slugs in my Webley & Scot 12 bore. The gun is proofed for 2.5" case & some one opened up the chamber & the choke (I got it cheap).

My point is - please check your gun. I would not use 3" or 2.75" cases if the proof is for lesser case. I got S&B slugs 65mm (2.5") & Winchester 2.75". The Winchester kicks more & I will not use it anymore. The S&B Brenneke slugs are easy to shoot.

Your Magic ammo is probably made in Italy & a low cost ammo available here in NZ.

I would also suggest that you try the ammo out on targets. As Darryl says, they can be difficult to regulate. Aiming the slug loads accurately also needs practice - it is not the same as shooting with SG / Buck shot. As you can see from my target, the two loads shot 2" to 3" to the right at 20 meters. This will be 7" or 8" at 50 meters. I plan to get a gunsmith to install express sights.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: Nakihunter]
      #96178 - 07/02/08 12:39 PM

Naki:

Good advice.

Indeed, I had a Beretta 424 that shot wonderful groups with Winchester 1 0z slugs and with Brennekes...12 inches low at 25 meters!!!

Get out and test that gun before "'arf'a yer bullets fly wide in the ditch..."

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: 9.3x57]
      #96233 - 08/02/08 02:46 AM

My Mossberg old pump gun was opposite with bead depresed as far as possible, it shot 6" high at 25 yards, but only 1" left, making a ragged hole for 3 shots.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #96302 - 08/02/08 04:57 PM

Maybe it's just me, but when I was in the military and later when I was a Sheriff's Deputy, I had to shoot both buck shot and slugs to qualify on many occasions.
I always though the recoil on both was quite mild. many other men said they kicked too hard. I was shocked by those statements.
A 7/8 oz slug is lighter than a 1 1/4 oz field load that we shot pheasants with, and the 00 buck loads were mild in comparison to standard Duck Loads. I have fired many hundreds of the 00 buck loads and 7/8 oz slugs and I never thought they kicked much at all.

I have fired some of the newer "hotter and heavier" loads too, but none of them seem to have as much recoil as my light 30-06 and no where near as much as my 375H&H. I like the 375. I am on my 2nd barrel in it. I know it kicks a bit, but it doesn't hurt me at all.

Am I the odd ball here?
SZ

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 12 Gauge Slug Recoil [Re: szihn]
      #96334 - 09/02/08 03:54 AM

I agree, Steve - slugs don't kick as much as heavy shot loads. A 1-1/2ounce 2-3/4" mag lead shot load was 656.3gr. weight. This is 75 to 100gr. heavier than the heaviest slugs avaialable. I think there were some 575gr. Brenneke's at one time(maybe still available somewhere), but see they've reduced the weight.
; If you want recoil, use heavy black powder loads. They will make you think you're shooting something powerful- and you are.

--------------------
Daryl

wildfowl
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/08
Loc: IL, USA
      #108787 - 03/07/08 02:48 AM

Being from an area that has a lot of whitetail hunters and it is only legal to hunt with a shotgun, there are a huge amount of slugs available. Everything from cheap-o Wolf, to simple Foster style slugs from Winchester, Federal, Remington, Brenneke, to sabot slugs, to top of the line Barne's Xpanders, Hornady, etc. There is even a 3.5" 20gauge slug some folks use (yes a 3.5" 20 gauge, not a typo).

My point is that there is a growing industry in the States with slugs loads and guns. I have personally killed whitetail deer at long distances (long for shotgun) with good slugs in fully rifled shotguns. I have cleanly killed deer at 136 and 165 yards. These were laser ranged, I had a VERY solid rest, and knew my gun/slug combo VERY well. I would not suggest this is the norm, and most won't do this mainly because of lack of knowledge.

As for slugs on hogs-- I'm not sure what you have available there, but in the States we have some very effective loads. If you want penetration, there all solid copper and hard cast lead. There are lots of pigs killed here with slugs, and I would suggest it should be more effective than buckshot, especially at longer ranges.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4691

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com