Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Single shot quest?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Single shot quest?
      #108772 - 03/07/08 12:08 AM

Hello Folks,

Being enamored of single shot rifles, I’ve been looking for the perfect hunting rifle for some time now. I own many Ruger #1 rifles, a Browning High Wall, and several H&R rifles. I’ve never been quite satisfied with them.

What else is out there? I’m looking for light weight, excellent accuracy, and a good trigger. Caliber would be 7x57 or 30-06. I would like stainless steel and a synthetic stock, but am not committed to them. I’m partial to falling block actions, but would consider a break-open action. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: Tatume]
      #108777 - 03/07/08 01:05 AM

You can go with one of Martini/Hagn rifles and I think Brockman in Idaho was making one.

Martini's work is first rate and Brockman's only so so but definitely better than a Ruger or Browning.

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/projects.htm

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/immediate_sale.asp

I don't see the single shot on the page but he had one at SCI.

Personally I prefer the break action single shots made in Europe.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: mickey]
      #108788 - 03/07/08 02:54 AM

Mr. Tatume:

First of all, my reactionary tendencies are unable to embrace anything but blue and walnut. It seems to me that a stainless and plastic single shot is akin to building a double rifle in the same materials, and is yet another valid reason for reinstating capitol punishment.

That said, as far as I know the only single shot action made in stainless is the Ruger, so your selection is limited to another one of them. The good news is that for what you describe there is not a better action made. The Ruger is a strong, exceptionally reliable and very safe action. The ejector system handles rimless cartridges very well. You can replace the trigger with the original adjustable design made by Moyer and bring the trigger pull safely down to a satisfactory hunting weight.

The Ruger action is not as finely finished as the custom actions available, but they do clean up pretty well if you are willing to spend the money on some custom work.

Best of luck on your project!

Glenn

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: mickey]
      #108789 - 03/07/08 02:55 AM

While I am personally partial to Ruger No1's(I currently own 3 big bores) I had a TC TCR in 219 Donaldson Wasp that was particularly accurate and I think was a nice smooth looking single shot. I had the Aristocrat model I believe it was. I wouldn't mind having another one especially if I could find one in 22 Hornet.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: zimhunter]
      #108810 - 03/07/08 08:23 AM

Hagn!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #108811 - 03/07/08 08:54 AM

Merkel K1 and K2. I don't know who imports them into the USA but worth a look.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: tophet1]
      #108848 - 03/07/08 06:40 PM

I am having a single shot in .30-06 based on a Hagn action being made for me as I type. Gunsmith is Steve Dodd Hughes in Montana (you can see his three books on Amazon) and he seemed the natural choice as he is a big single shot fan too. Lovely work, it should be ready for engraving next April, check out his books, especially "Custom Rifles in Black and White" This will help you decide, best, Mike

theMISSIONARY
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/08
Loc: Tasmania,Australia
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #110152 - 21/07/08 06:36 PM

there is also the Baikal IZH-18MH

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/34.html

the Trigger needs work to make it nice i have one in 223 it had only fired 40 rounds when i got hold of it.
it was VERY stiff trigger long and vague but it is getting better with use(over 200rounds now)
so its not stiff and the trigger seems better still long but i know when its going to go off

AND last cheap!!

i like the look of the K-1 but $$$$ and then there's the TC contender in almost any cal you might want

cheers steve

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: theMISSIONARY]
      #110651 - 29/07/08 08:42 AM

While I too like the Ruger No1.

The most accurate single shot rifle I have fired is a Blaser K 95.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Single shot quest? [Re: NE450No2]
      #110655 - 29/07/08 09:57 AM

It was announced in the current ASSRA magaszine that the Ballard Arms Company of Onsted Mi. will add the classic Farquahrson to their line up, available as a complete rifle ONLY. It should be ready in late 2008 or early 2009.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4024

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com