Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nailing the ribs...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
Nailing the ribs...
      #108609 - 01/07/08 01:07 AM

In working with the ribs on my first Dbl. rifle project I discovered there is quite a difference in soldering shotgun ribs as opposed to the much heavier rifle barrels. The amount of heat needed is considerably more to get good flow and adhesion of the solder. Then there is the more critical alignment issues with rifle barrels. In using the traditional method with wire and nails there is the added problem of soldering around the nails and not soldering them to the ribs...

I made this little fixture to hold everything at once while not crowding the work area. Since making the orginal I've since moved the four (two top and two bottom) verticle alignment barrel screws closer to center. As you can see they were virtually useless with this particular project. The open design doesn't sink any heat away from the barrel/ribs while allowing space to work around the fixture. This type fixture is featured in the second addition of Ellis Brown's book. Mine is made of 1/4 X 1 inch aluminium simply bacause I had it on hand. You could easily use steel or I think ideally, a section of 2X3 square steel tubing. The screws are stainless to avoid solder sticking to them. Originally I only made one using wire and nails farther back the rib but it worked so well I've made a second that together should be all that's needed to hold an entire assembly - barrels, top and bottom ribs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: oupa]
      #108622 - 01/07/08 02:51 AM

Oupa-

Excellent!

I definitely appreciate the 'quick and dirty' nature of your fixture.
Great use of material and time there, got in - gotterdone - got out.

Way to go!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

oupa
.300 member

Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: tinker]
      #108652 - 01/07/08 09:21 AM

I've actually cleaned the fixture up a bit since then, cutting extra metal off and soldering the joint. The photos were right after I made it, and I made it because I needed it! I'd still like to try one with 3X4 square tubing with nuts welded on for the screws. However I don't have any laying around and I'm reluctant to buy a whole stick for a couple inches of material.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #108668 - 01/07/08 01:11 PM

When I worked a a lineman, we used to use heavy walled aluminum conduit in various sizes for electrical interences. What if a guy took a short 3 inch piece and flatened it into an oval shape that would slide over the barrels from the muzzles. Some of it at least, has thick enough walls to drill and tap threads through it for your stainless bolts. Would that work? Bob H.

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #108682 - 01/07/08 05:40 PM

A friendly approach to the manager or foreman at your local engineering firm would be bound to liberate an offcut from their scrap bin.
Steve

oupa
.300 member

Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: shinz]
      #108700 - 02/07/08 03:07 AM

The fixture pictured took maybe 20 minutes to make, including drilling and tapping. It's as effective as any prettier one serving the same function. The issue at the time was expediancy but that asside, we all prefer to work with quality tools, hence the desire for a more "suitable" material.

That said, ANYTHING that fits over the barrels and allows for affixing the adjustment screws - even a section of iron pipe - so long as the screws end up in the right places, will accomplish the same function. The fixture shown is for your own ideas and imaginations to picture what will work for you, not necessarily for exact replication.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #108938 - 04/07/08 05:47 PM

Hi Oupa,

Did the one work for the full length or did you have several at different points?
thanks

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: dale]
      #108939 - 04/07/08 05:49 PM

I am so damn dizzyheaded, I was going to say what a great idea, beats the crap out of wire and rods.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: dale]
      #108963 - 05/07/08 12:15 AM

Quick and dirty - love it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Nailing the ribs... [Re: DarylS]
      #109083 - 06/07/08 10:42 AM

I decided, several years ago, to use aluminum nails. They work great, solder doesn't adhere to them, and being softer than steel, they don't scratch the barrels or the ribs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 497

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com