Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: your favoirite Gun case for airlines

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
your favoirite Gun case for airlines
      #9686 - 21/02/04 07:23 AM

Looking into getting a new double breakdown case for my double rifle and shotgun.

What do you guys use?

What do you think of the Tuffpak case? Ziegler cases? Americase?

Thanks!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: Chasseur]
      #9687 - 21/02/04 07:27 AM

I dont know how often you fly with your guns but I have a brute of a aluminum case made by dee zee. It's been around the world and has never let me down. One of the things I always suggest is also to buy extra insurance on your guns when you check your luggage. They always seem to handle it a little better when they know some ones rear end is on the line if it gets lost. At least it's worked for me.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #9688 - 21/02/04 07:30 AM

...the half-size tuffpak for break actions is nearly indestructable...and can accommodate other gear as well...

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #9717 - 21/02/04 10:07 AM

CW, no matter how tough the aluminum case is, the airport monkeys will eventually destroy it. I've often heard of such and a couple months ago, I actually saw one that was run over by one the luggage tractors. The two Weatherby's had to be replaced. I think the tuffpaks work a bit better because they give a bit under force and then spring back into shape.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Rob01
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/04
Loc: Connecticut
      #9719 - 21/02/04 10:18 AM

Check out Starlight Cases. I think thier website is www.starlightcases.com They're cases are the best I've found. I use them with my tactical rifles when shipping them to the smith or on flights. I haven't been to the site in a while but they used to have a picture of a Hummer parked ontop of thier cases. They come in all sizes. They're not as pretty as an aluminum case but they are much tougher.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: 475Guy]
      #9720 - 21/02/04 10:22 AM

Lets face it if they get run over their especially done for if the case flexes. And they all will with enough weight. The one I have is a heavy son of a gun. If I ever replace it no matter what it is it will have wheels. Mine is full size for two scoped rifles. I have not seen the ones you guys are talking about but either way the extra insurance is a good buy. NorthWest charges $50 for a Maximum of $5,000 per piece of luggage. I worked for the airlines for several years. Usually the worst thing that happens next to theft is when the luggage falls off the pug train......Then of course it might get run over

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9726 - 21/02/04 10:48 AM

Ah, but how about the monkey who purposely throws it down onto the ground so that the tractor can run it over?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: 475Guy]
      #9728 - 21/02/04 10:56 AM

Naaah, Believe me they get a LOT more creative than that

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #10159 - 26/02/04 05:06 AM

I have used the Tuff Case for a number of years now, and I put my cased double inside the Tuff Case..Sometimes I use a soft case for my double and sometimes the hard case, but always inside the Tuff case along with a scoped bolt gun.I pack the bottom with cameras, jackets, shoes etc until the double case is up to level giving me easy access to it...

I used them all but the Tuff Case will out last any of the others 10 to 1...I have made over a dozen trips with this one, they are pretty much indestructable...

A double is pretty expensive and I would never trust sending one overseas with a single case..too small and easy to steal..Hard to walk out with a Tuff Case and not get caught...

I also insure my guns with my home insurance for one year, costs about $100. for $15,000. worth of insurance with my Ins. company...

PAHunter
.224 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Allentown, PA USA
      #10564 - 02/03/04 03:56 AM

Hi Guys:

My favorite gun case is the Browning Gun Vault. You can get them in a half or (2) rifle full case, and I believe they even float. They are made of an indestructable material and even have an air compression release on the case. You cut out the foam inside to fit your rifle. You can buy them from Cabelas for about $225.00

They are HEAVY and come with wheels. I believe they are the same as Pelican gun cases. They are what the military uses to case sniper rifles I am told.

The thing I disslike about the Tuff Pack is stuffing clothes and soft caes around the rifles that are stuck inside the pack. I saw a fellow who had to remove his rifles from his Tuff Pack to verify a serial number and he had stuff strewn all over the floor of the airport. Then he couldn't get it all back in the Tuff Pack. I think some of his underwear was left behind.

Just my two cents..

Regards.. Jim P.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: PAHunter]
      #10639 - 02/03/04 02:16 PM

I am of a mind that one should NEVER place a break open gun in a case assembled. That said, I don't much like the Tuff Pack type case. It doesn't lend itself to carrying the gun broken down. It doesn't take much lateral pressure to damage stocks on DRs or Dbl shotguns, and one good bump can ruin a stock and a hunt.

I like my coffin sized SKB 4 gun case. It is a bit of a handful, but I carried numerous spears and such back in all that extra room...with my guns taken down...!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: luv2safari]
      #10651 - 02/03/04 03:32 PM

For brake down guns I use a Don Allen soft case. I just stuff it in my duffle in between all the clothes and nobody know it's there.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: PAHunter]
      #10659 - 02/03/04 07:22 PM

Cabelas is presently offering a bullet proof aluminium double rifle case for US$149 which is approx.50%cheaper than its original price.I don't know what make it is but it sounds good.Go on their web site and check it out.

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: iqbal]
      #10752 - 03/03/04 11:34 AM

Anyone that does not think a tuff case is the answer just has not used one and wasted their money something less...sorry but thats how I feel...Mine has been across the pond too many times to doubt it greatness and I went through a bunch of high dollar cases before I got that tuff case..

As to some of the statements made here...knowing how to pack a tuff case is important. You simply pack it to where the guns lift you and return easily, I have no problem doing this and suggest that anyone that can chew gum and walk at the same time should not have a problem with it..and my double rifle is apart and in either a soft case or small hard case right on top, usually the soft case..when I go through customs, I take off the top of the tuff case lift the bolt gun up about a foot read them the serial number, then I lift the barrels of my double about 6 inches and read that one, put the top back on and I,m out of there..

Then when I get to Dar es Salaam or wherever, I check the tuff case in the hotel vault and take my guns in their soft cases on the charter flight and then I don't have to pay overweight charges or charter a bigger plane..I pick up my tuff case and other dress clothes etc on the way out.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: atkinson6]
      #10763 - 03/03/04 01:07 PM

ray,

...any opinion on the half-sized tuffpak for take-downs?...

...thanks...

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #10818 - 04/03/04 01:50 AM

Ray,

Thanks for the information! I am serious thinking about getting a tuffpak case. Do you find their "tuffsak" accessory to be worth while? Also, you mentioned that you break down your double rifle when you put it in the case, what type of soft case do you use to put a broken double gun in?

Thanks!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: your favoirite Gun case for airlines [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #10839 - 04/03/04 08:31 AM

T.E.
I have never used the shorty but I am sure it will perform to excellent standards. I always have a bolt gun to go with my double

The shorty does not work for my needs as I carry cameras, scopes and binocs in the tuff pak as it is allowd to remain locked with your lock...Luggage today has the locks cut off by the airlines and anyone at that point has access to luggage IMO...

Chas.
I use a Boyt take down double gun soft case, they are thick and leather trimmed green canvas and they work really well...Intelligent packing will give you instant access to the guns serial numbers without having to display them to the whole world...

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#10852 - 04/03/04 09:29 AM

ray,

...again, good advice...i suppose the full sized tuffpak can even be used for fly fishing/golfing, etc. gear, in addition to turnbolts...and the luggage lock matter in-and-of-itself wholly supports the use of the tuffpak...

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4699

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com