Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Powder choice for Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Powder choice for Africa
      #108271 - 27/06/08 12:58 PM

I would like to know what powders are recommended for dangerous game hunting in Africa. I have heard some powders are temperature sensitive. I am loading the .458 lott with 500 grain bullets and the .375 ruger with 300 grain bullets. Load data would be helpful too. I am hunting in Chewore during the first ten days of September. I have heard it is fairly hot at that time. Thanks.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: bigmaxx]
      #108276 - 27/06/08 01:13 PM

Check out the Hodgdon "Extreme" range of powders. They are re-badged ADI powders from Australia and are completely unaffected by hot ambient temperatures.

I live and hunt 12 1/2 degrees south of the equator, load with ADI powders, and never give temperature effects a second thought. Ever!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: Marrakai]
      #108278 - 27/06/08 01:26 PM

Quote:

I ..... load with ADI powders, and never give temperature effects a second thought. Ever!

I agree 100%. I use ADI - equivalent of H4198, H4895, Varget, H4350 & H4831 SC & they shoot consistently in winter at 10 degrees centigrade & summer at a very high UV rated 35 degrees centigrade (radiation effect is more like 50 degrees centigrade). VV N160 & the Alliant Reloader powders are also very stable. I will never use Winchester ball powders as my friend Barry gets 200 fps to 300 fps variance in velocity between a cold winter day & a hot summer day.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: Nakihunter]
      #108281 - 27/06/08 01:41 PM

I will check those out. I have neen using IMR4831 and H335. I bought some RL-19 today. Hornady rep told me it was heat tolerant too.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #108296 - 27/06/08 03:22 PM

IMR 4831 is not the same & does change pressures & velocity with temperature. Yes it is a nice powder & works best in my 280 Ackley Imp but it not as consistent & it does burn dirty.

What cartridge are you planning to take to Africa? I have used a whole 5 lbs can of Re19 in my 280 Ackley Imp & it has been very reliable.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: Nakihunter]
      #108310 - 27/06/08 08:40 PM

I am taking some handloads and some factory loads. I am loading some .458 lott with 500 grain Swift A-Frames. I may load some for my .375 ruger too. I will pack my handloads in factory boxes. Will that work? What if ammo is mixed in a box, like softs and solids? Will they check that? Thanks for the help.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Indy
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/04
      #109836 - 16/07/08 12:10 PM

I think the temperature sensitivity problem of powders in Africa is a non-problem. It gets hotter in Ohio or Michigan in the Summer than it does during the (usually Winter) hunting season in Africa. You get more temperature extremes hunting deer in North America. For .458 Winchester, I have found that H4895 is a good powder and AA2230 just a bit better, because a load is denser and has little or no compression. H4895 is slightly better from a temperature sensitivity problem but, between the two, I don't think it matters much. This whole issue arose because Kyunoch ammo used cordite, which was very temperature sensitive, and hunters living in Africa hunted during hotter parts of the year.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: Indy]
      #109839 - 16/07/08 12:24 PM

Well noted. I read in the Hornady manual that the H-335 I have been using is very stable in extreme temperatures both ways. I am pushing a 500 grain A-Frame at 2150 according to the book. It is very accurate in my gun. The load is slightly compressed and works well for me. It was their most accurate powder choice. I an using Alliant RL-19 in my .375 ruger with a 300 grain A-Frame. I will probably use factory solids in both rifles.

--------------------
One day at a time...

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #112366 - 24/08/08 10:19 AM

I remember an article in Rifle magazine that came out a year or so ago. They reloaded the then new cartridge and Reloder 15 was by far the best powder. It would be the first powder I would try.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Powder choice for Africa [Re: albertan]
      #112368 - 24/08/08 10:26 AM

I am loading the .458 lott with H335 and the .375 ruger with RL-19. I am very happy with both of those powders. The H335 makes for a really accurate lott load. I am told both are very temperature tolerant. Actually the area of the Zambezi valley I will be hunting is a tad cooler than KY right now.

--------------------
One day at a time...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #112372 - 24/08/08 11:03 AM

Quote:

Actually the area of the Zambezi valley I will be hunting is a tad cooler than KY right now.

No doubt. I used to live in Wilmore just south of Lexington and I will vouch for you.

Working up loads in the summer almost anywhere in the USA and then taking said loads with you to Africa should settle things. The whole "Tropics" thing is overblown in my opinion. I know it doesn't always work that way, but if a fellow can do his load work the year before and practice with the sighted load throughout the preceding year of his trip, all the better.

In southern Africa, hunting in the northern Hemisphere months of summer means hunting in the winter, and mornings especially can be brisk. Yup, read that again, it does make sense!

Certainly, if a guy works up loads in summer in the lower-48 USA he can iron out the details easily. Here on the ranch we have snow as late as May and yet just two months later I have blown up several thermometers that maxed out at 125 degrees Fahrenheit that were hanging in the sun on my UTV. Very frequently the varmint rifle on the shooting deck is much too hot to touch and must be covered during spotting lulls. Ammo ditto.

Work up loads in the heat of a USA summer and in similar temps in Africa all's well. It has to be.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3463

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com