Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel 8x57

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Merkel 8x57
      #108125 - 25/06/08 02:23 PM

Signed L. Frauenstorfer, Mannheim but it's a pre 1920 Merkel. I contacted Capt. Curl when I first saw the rifle for some advise and you can imagine my surprise when after describing the gun to him he told me he had once owned it. That was good enough for me.

Edited by DRarchive (03/07/08 10:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: dale]
      #108127 - 25/06/08 02:34 PM

V.nice wee double, engraving not too Germanic, all in all very tasteful, I certainly like. Is it 8x57 or 8x57R? If the rimless, any chance of a shot of the extractors just for interest sake. Nice selection of pics though, thanks.
Steve

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: shinz]
      #108132 - 25/06/08 02:48 PM

Hey Steve,

It's 8x57r. I run out of time trying to post all the pics. so I always leave out something. ^)

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #108150 - 25/06/08 07:53 PM

Thanks Dale, I guess the extractors will be much of a known quantity. I'm a bit of a breech & action man myself, you can read into that what you will , I guess in automotive terms it would mean I'm as interested in the engine , transmission & chassis as the bodywork, sort of beauty is as beauty does but thats not to say I don't appreciate the exquisite beauty of rifles like yours. Those are three beautiful rifles you have there, 8x57R is a really nice caliber to my way of thinking. It will be interesting to see how they respond individually to loads & whether or not you can get a one load fits all three.
Steve

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: shinz]
      #108153 - 25/06/08 09:38 PM

dale you have done well what a lovely rifle very easy on the eye I must say.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

WVTOM
.224 member

Reged: 21/05/08
Loc: WV
      #108158 - 26/06/08 12:46 AM

I have shot that gun and it shoots as good as it looks---or---did I get lucky ? I BELIEVE THIS GUN HAS A MATE IN THE SHOP NOW !!!! wHEN WILL WE GET TO SEE IT ?

WVFRED
.300 member

Reged: 17/01/05
Loc: Charleston WV
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: WVTOM]
      #108176 - 26/06/08 10:32 AM

This rifle looks better in person than in the pics....it also shoots great!
When do I get to shoot it again Dale?

Fred

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #108368 - 28/06/08 11:05 AM

Beautiful! So this work of art passed from one excellent set of hands to another!

Congratulations again!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #108391 - 28/06/08 02:43 PM

Thats a beautiful work of art. Congratulations!

--------------------
One day at a time...

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #108689 - 01/07/08 10:32 PM

Dale,

You have enriched our forum with your posts of German double rifles.

This rifle in particular is very dear to my heart. As you mentioned earlier, I had the honor of owning this rifle for quite a few years. In fact, this was the first double rifle I ever owned. I acquired it in 1982, I believe. And like so many gun nuts, I traded it several years ago in a transaction to acquire another double rifle. Seeing your photos makes me regret parting with this lovely rifle.

Let me mention several features of this rifle that stand out in my mind. First, the barrels are chopper lump construction, less often seen on German guns. In this photo you can see the line of the barrel assembly passing through the rear lump:

Next, the horn trigger guard is perhaps the best I have ever seen. The horn is highly figured, and the tang of the trigger guard extends to the steel grip cap. In these photos you can see the yellow coloration and patterns in the horn along the extended tang. Just beautiful. What can't be seen, and is stunning to see in person, is the translucent property of the horn guard if it is held to the light. When held to the light, this trigger guard absolutely glows, and the intricate figure of the horn is readily apparent. Look once again at the figure in the trigger guard:

The engraving is quite well done. It would be hard to find a German gun with better engraving. Bob Jones, an expert on German Guns in his own right, made the comment to me that one rarely sees the hooves or feet of animals set out in game scenes; and that usually if they are depicted, they are poorly done. He was quite impressed with the detailed feet and hooves shown in this engraving.

Poorly executed gamescenes are often referred to as cartoon animals, barnyard scenes, etc. Nobody would use those expressions in regard to these scenes. The detail of the hair on these animals is so fine it rivals bulino. The German shorthair and boar look like they will spring alive off the right side of the action.

The wood is much better than usually found on German guns. It is about as fine a piece of marblecake Circassian walnut as can be found. When I got the rifle the finish was almost black from the years. I was wise enough to have a highly skilled stockmaker restore the wood to its original splendor that you see here. This was a restoration clearly merited.

Details of the woodwork include horn diamonds inlet in the pistol grip and a beautiful horn wedge inlet in the tip of the forend.

There is no date stamp, as so often found on German guns. The proof marks clearly date the rifle to the period between 1912 and 1939. It is proofed under the rules of 1912.

The rifle came to me with claw bases installed on the barrels but without its scope, as is the case with so many German guns that became war booty. I would say the original scope was the petite Zeiss Zielklien, which was mounted into bases so terribly close together. I had the little 4x Burris mounted to the original claw bases after much study. At the time this was the only scope on the market that could be mounted in such tight quarters. The rings were done by Gary Wakkenin of Waunakee, Wisconsin.

Frauenstorfer was a retail emporium, and the mark is not uncommon on German guns. The parentage of this rifle is unmistakably Gebruder Merkel. I asked Dale to post a photo of the face of the breech on which is stamped the Gebruder Merkel logo. The mark is a "G" superimposed over an "M" and set within a shield. You can see it in this photo:

The same maker's mark is seen in this image of the Merkel masthead:

Dale, I congratulate you on owning this fine rifle, and I hope it brings you the pleasure it brought me.

Curl

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: CptCurl]
      #108690 - 01/07/08 10:50 PM

One other point comes to mind. I'll mention it and then fall silent.

This rifle was regulated "St.M.G. 15gr."

This is an unusual regulation for an 8x57JR. It's for the 232 grain bullet.

The more common regulation is "St.M.G. 12.5gr." for the 196 grain bullet.

I always thought the heavier regulation made the rifle more appealing, particularly for hunting game the size of elk, although the 15 gram bullets are harder to find than the 12.5 gram bullets.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #108698 - 02/07/08 02:25 AM

That thing is definitely a honey.

I should get some of my guns out and photograph them while I'm tending to my knee at home.

Thanks for the further detail on this rifle Curl!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: tinker]
      #109622 - 13/07/08 03:03 AM

Tinker, my friend,

Hope your knee gets better as soon as possible and that you are up hunting again.

And, yes, whenever you do find time, please do post more pictures of your guns here. You have a magnificent collection which we all love looking at.

Hope you get well soon and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

vikram
.300 member

Reged: 29/07/04
Loc: Warwickshire,England
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #110854 - 01/08/08 10:35 AM

That is one beautiful rifle in deed.Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram

--------------------
"Routine is death to Heroism."- P.G.Wodehouse

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #110877 - 01/08/08 05:06 PM

Curl,

Thanks for the pointers on quality work/engraving German Merkels. I am quite impressed.

Beautiful gun.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
Re: Merkel 8x57 [Re: hoppdoc]
      #110884 - 01/08/08 10:10 PM

Magniificent!! just magnificent.

--------------------
Love to hunt!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11357

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com