Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Peep and Express Sights both?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
abosely
.275 member

Reged: 23/03/07
Loc: Big Island Hawaii US
Peep and Express Sights both?
      #107650 - 18/06/08 04:20 PM

On British Rifles of the 20's & 30's was it common or at least an "acceptable" practice to have a both a striker mounted Peep and open Express Sights (as in one standing & two or so folding) on a rifle?

I have been thinking about building an open sight only 404 Jeffery (on a M98 of course) with banded rear sights of one standing and either one or two folding, in the style of the 1920s' & 30s' British Express Rifles, some what of a blend of H&H and Rigby. But would like the precision of a peep sight also since it would not have a scope. So I am thinking that if I do have it built of having a Striker Peep sight put on it.

Would this look "period correct" or would this be a silly looking combination?

How exactly would the Striker Peep Sight work if one wanted to use the Express Sights, can or does it fold or twist down out of the way?

Allen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
georgegibbs505
.275 member

Reged: 19/01/07
Loc: WV
Re: Peep and Express Sights both? [Re: abosely]
      #107651 - 18/06/08 04:42 PM

I have a few British bolt rifles with both peep and express sights, also one with a scope,Lyman tang sight and express.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #107652 - 18/06/08 05:21 PM

Allen-

I own a nice little Jeffery sporter chambered in 256 Mannlicher. It was fitted at the factory with a five leaf banded rear sight, as well as the Jeffery's Patent 8872 Quick Setting Aperture Sight, which mounted on the striker at the rear of the bolt.

Here's an image of my rifle, it's rear sight, and what was left of the aperture sight when I got the rifle.

Here's the ad from the Jeffery catalog for the optional striker sight

And here's a graphic from WJ Jeffery's patent application for the patent sight

I'm in the works of manufacturing the missing parts of my striker mounted patent sight, it's the only one I've ever seen in the flesh. Haven't even seen a photo of one on a rifle, and I've been searching and seeking pretty hard since I got the little mannlicher.

This rifle should be good evidence for you that WJ Jeffery was indeed making and delivering rifles with multi-leaf banded rear express sights, and special house-made striker mounted aperture sights.

The front sight on this rifle is also banded, featuring a dovetailed thin blade with ivory sight accent, and a quick-detach shade hood.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #107709 - 19/06/08 10:09 PM

I have American and British rifles with both (or all three, if including the scope). It is common to see the standing express sight leaf filed down so one can see 'through' or 'over' it while sighting with the rear peep. I've often wondered how many of these were added after purchase and then mounted. Some do not have the leaf mounted and if you sight through the peep and through the standing leaf notch, you have a very precise way of aiming at a small point in the distance. My personal opinion is that the guys who ordered their rifles with both had that in mind. Most of these seem to have a folding peep so that the express sight can be used as the normal snap shooting sight.

abosely
.275 member

Reged: 23/03/07
Loc: Big Island Hawaii US
Re: Peep and Express Sights both? [Re: A10ACN]
      #107807 - 21/06/08 10:24 AM

Ok, Express and Peep sights it is. Thanks for the input.

Now that I've got taken care of that concern I have a bigger problem.

What Peep sight to use?
The guns will be styled like late 1920s, 1930s Holland Rifles, Holland's stepped barrel with short 1/4 rib & one standing & one folding, Holland style stock and Flag safety ect.

I want to be able to use the Express sights sometimes.

I like the Lyman 48 as it mounts on the right side of the receiver and the eye piece (I can't remember what it's called) can be removed and replaced without major zero loss.

But the problem is, I don't think it is period correct the British Express Rifle style.

Other than the Rigby Striker mounted Peep, what did the Britsh gun trade use?
Ideally some form of a receiver mounted, click adjustable sight.

I've been looking on the web but have not found much. Suggestions and pictures links?

Allen

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #107841 - 22/06/08 12:14 AM

I've seen Lyman 48s on Brit and German magazine rifles but I've always assumed they were installed after the rifles arrived in the US or perhaps were special ordered as such. Another option would be the Lyman 36 which mounts on the bolt release, hard to find and $$$. You don't see those on Brit rifles much, though. The Lyman model which mounts on the rear of the bolt striker (can't remember the model # and too lazy to look it up) was used by several Brit makers. I think I remember seeing it as an option in Jeffery's catalog. Recknagel makes and sells a Rigby type bolt peep which is pretty neat. I've never seen one of their's but the Rigby system is neat. I've never seen a Holland sight for sale and when I asked them about 15 years ago they said they were no longer making it, either. That's a fairly neat sight, too.
So, short answer, search for a Lyman or order a Recknagel. HTH

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Peep and Express Sights both? [Re: tinker]
      #107850 - 22/06/08 02:03 AM

Tinker,

That is an unusual and absolutely superb rifle! The wood is a lot fancier than the old British rifles had, especially the bolt guns. DO you have any idea about its history?

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Peep and Express Sights both? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #107858 - 22/06/08 04:16 AM

Mehul-

That's the original wood, it has the maker's stamps and serial number in the barrel channel.
There are some very old repairs in the stock that give it a wonderful sense of character. This is one of those rifles that puts you on the edge of your seat, wishing it could tell it's stories.

I agree with you, it really is a special little rifle and I very much enjoy handling and shooting it.

I am still in the process of load development with it.
When I get a 160gr RN load that hits to the leaf sights I will regulate a cam disc for the rear sight to match.
I have already reproduced the hooded aperture and the range selector wheel.
As you can see from the patent application drawings the regulation cam disc screws onto the back of the range selector wheel (which can also act as the cocking knob)
I've chosen to produce the sight with the folding aperture option too.

I have a copy of the factory ledger page which includes this rifle's serial number, and confirms that it was indeed originally equipped with the sights pictured above. It was one of a few nearly identically specified rifles, gave me the sense it was one of a magazine of rifles.
I'm at home recovering from surgery, I'll try to hobble around and dig up the ledger page, possibly refresh my memory on the specifics.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #107899 - 22/06/08 03:15 PM

ABosely

Here is a copy of a Holland bolt Peep mounted on a 404 Jeffery. FYI the leaf is fixed and the peep shoots thefront sight in the v, making a 3 point system and is very accurate, even for old tired eyes.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Peep and Express Sights both? [Re: mickey]
      #107906 - 22/06/08 08:24 PM

If you look at this thread, one of our board members makes them.

Regards
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....=true#Post84356

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5371

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com