Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hog hunting comes to America

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Hog hunting comes to America
      #107851 - 22/06/08 02:05 AM

New York Times on the problems with feral hogs in 37 states.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #107871 - 22/06/08 06:53 AM

Hog hunting with European rifles.

Texas hog tie.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #107880 - 22/06/08 08:43 AM

Anybody contemplating hunting feral hogs should read the following article:

www.dnrintra.state.il.us/ORC/Wildlife/ReportsW/General/FeralHogs.pdf

This is an excerpt:

"Hog Problems

Wild hogs have the potential to spread diseases that affect people, pets and
livestock. Currently, the diseases of most concern are trichinosis,
leptospirosis, swine brucellosis and pseudo-rabies.

In southern states,feral hogs frequently have infection rates of 10 percent for swine
brucellosis and 30 percent for pseudo-rabies. Feral swine could also
spread foot and mouth disease, anthrax, or various swine fevers.

People are at risk from those hogs that are infected with swine brucellosis. This
disease has been found in wild pigs in ten states and is known as undulant
fever in humans. It can be contracted through handling infected tissues of
wild pigs.

Pseudo-rabies infects wild swine and can be transmitted to hogs in
commercial operations. This disease is caused by a herpes virus, does not
infect people and is not related to rabies. It does weaken pigs, causes
abortions and stillbirths and renders hogs susceptible to other problems
that reduce production and decrease profits. Once infected, a pig is a
carrier as long as it lives because there is no effective treatment. It sheds
the virus through its mouth and nose and can transmit the disease to cattle,
sheep, goats, dogs and cats where it is fatal.

Wild boars sometimes break into commercial hog operations to reach sows that are in heat thereby
spreading the disease. About six commercial operations per year in the
United States have to be depopulated due to this. Pseudo-rabies can also
fatally infect wild mammals like raccoons, skunks, foxes, oppossums and
small rodents. The virus affects the nervous system of these animals and
can produce paralysis and death. Hunting dogs can also be infected by
contact with wild hogs.

Leptospirosis can also be spread by hogs through contamination of ponds
and water holes with their urine as part of their wallowing behavior.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial livestock disease that settles in the kidneys and
causes abortion of immature pigs, still births and weak pigs at full term.
This bacterial organism can also affect humans but is killed during
cooking just as with swine brucellosis."

This is not meant to discourage feral hog and wild boar hunting, just to urge caution.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: xausa]
      #107890 - 22/06/08 12:07 PM

There is also a threat of naturally occuring antrax. It concentrates in the thick neck muscles under the armoured skin. No meat above the shoulder should be taken for consumption.
By the way. We have had some great ribs, chops, sausage and steaks from this one and the one my son shot the same day.
It was a great hunt. Lot's of excitement.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #107893 - 22/06/08 01:40 PM

I love hunting hogs. It is very challenging and exciting. I hunted mine by stalking, but the dogs are interesting too. Where I hunted the prefered dog was a catahoula curr, a very impresive dog. They only use one due to the possibility two could kill the hog before a hunter can get to them. Thats a baddass dog. These animals are tough! I shot mine five times with a .338 winchester magnum, the last shot was a finishing shot. All shots were heart and lung shots except the spine shot to finish. After hitting him the first time at 30 yards he bore down in my direction and the shooting was on. A very exciting hunt. Two bowhunters had to climb trees to avoid hogs. I think my next hunt I will take a .458 with 350 grain bullets. I recommend the Cumberland Plateau area of TN for scenery and good hunting. I hunted at Wilderness Hunting Lodge. Nice folks and great food. A fun weekend.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: bigmaxx]
      #107905 - 22/06/08 07:44 PM

I am new to hog hunting. Never done it in NZ, Australia or the US. how many days would a typical hunt be? 3 or 4 days would be great for me. How many pigs can you get in that period? What does it cost? I'll be in the US for 2 weeks in Nov 2008 & am wondering if I should hunt whitetail deer or pigs.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Nakihunter]
      #107944 - 23/06/08 01:15 PM

Nakihunter:
IMHO, the hog hunt in most area of the USA is a much more exciting hunt than the whitetail. Cost of the hunt is going to be much less pricey as well.
Most whitetail hunting, on most hunting plantaitons or ranches is done in blinds and still hunts in stands. It is really not my cup of tea, so to speak. I like the stalk, the wait, the scouting and the tactics. Yes, this is not the most productive for great trophy deer, but it is, to me, hunting.
The hog hunt is usually a hiunt in rough stuff. Sometime dogs to sniff them and get them movng.
They will run through you as often as away.
Best to you and I hope you have a great time. In november, I hope to be after a big boar myself.

--------------------

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #108122 - 25/06/08 01:59 PM

I'd like to get a hog hunt or two in myself, but there's not much to be had in the way of hog hunting in Iowa, and with a baby on the way travelling for a hunt is definitely on hold.One of those "someday" hunts.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Shackleton]
      #108126 - 25/06/08 02:28 PM

I know what you mean. I waited a lot of years for some of the hunts I have enjoyed in the past few. I have two of my five kids that will hunt. Three of the five that like to shoot, but, I have the younest trying to get past Mom and the fact she is a girl that wants to shoot and hunt and Mom is a real obstacle.
Just think of the kids and babies to come as future field buddies.
Best,

--------------------

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #108157 - 26/06/08 12:37 AM

here in florida a hunt can be taken for unnder 300$,yhe season is open all year long and no limit these things breed three times a year and the shoults are ready to eat on their own soon as they hit the ground.i raise and breed catahoulas and yes they are bed ass,my show male hits 90# thats huge for a catahoula.it loves to fight bit to family it will lick you to death.my biggest one scored over 24" sci,length and width of each tusk,thats some big cutters.but tough no maybe if you are a shoulder shooter.i shoot right behind the ear,some boys here catch them alive once you grab and lift the back legs they are done flip them and hand cuff front legs to back legs.but use a pitbull to grab it first they grab an ear or the face.some use a knife,and dogs.spears.its a good hunt to start the kids on cheap and productive.they will remember it all their lives so take you kids when you go.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#108375 - 28/06/08 11:27 AM

88MauSporter,

The pictures are simply priceless, especially the triumphant smile on the young man's face! May you have many fantastic hunts together in the years ahead!

Ashok,

A couple of MCC boys have hunting properties in Texas with boar and other game on them. That said, there is an explosion of feral pigs all over the USA and you should not have any problem finding them. Let me know which states you're going to be in and I'll try and find someone whom you could talk to and decide for yourself.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Shackleton]
      #108376 - 28/06/08 11:30 AM

Shackleton,

You won't have to go far if you want to hunt feral pigs. I know of problem populations in Indiana and Wisconsin. In fact, I have been in touch with a scientist at the Wisconsin DNR and they have been particularly nice people to talk to. They have a problem population near Prairie du Chien and I gave them some suggestions on how we hunt pigs in India - their escaped cousins in North AMerica, it turns out, are not very different.

Let me know if you want the contact details of the gentleman in the Wisconsin DNR and I'll happily put you in touch with him. He is a really nice person to talk to.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #108388 - 28/06/08 01:40 PM

Kentucky is open year round, and they are in western kentucky now. We had them over around lake cumberland near the tennessee state line for a while. Now they are expanding operations it seems. I think I'll have to go try one this fall.

--------------------
One day at a time...

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: bigmaxx]
      #108419 - 29/06/08 03:52 AM

mehulkamdar:
Thanks the note about the photos. My son in the photo also took a nice boar. He was cool and patient even after the thicket exploded with six hogs running in different directions after his fist shot.
He finished his with the second shot. We had meat in the freezer and he has a nice set of tusks on a scull mount.
Mine, I mounted in a full sloulder. I'll post a photo of the trophies once I get around to photographing.
Best.

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Nakihunter]
      #109358 - 10/07/08 12:44 AM

Nakihunter: I recommend Texas as a good place to hunt hogs in USA. Rates are cheap... usually $400 - $600 for a two or three day hunt and there are lots of hogs that need shooting. On some places hogs are shot over bait from towers. On other places, the hunter is allowed to use spot and stalk tactics (I prefer this version). I like to set up over water holes in hot weather. Farther south down along the Mexican border there are also Javelina so a hunter can take both... and its good country for calling coyotes. Really an inexpensive hunt with several different opportunities. Any good deer caliber from 7.62X39 up to the 300 Magnums will work. For tower shooting I prefer longer range rifles that pack some authority... but for spot and stalk hunting a .30-30, .50 caliber muzzleloader, .243, .25-06, .308 and any number of other rifles will work fine. Feral hogs are not difficult to bring down as most will weigh less than 250 lbs. Neither are they as aggressive as many would have you believe.

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Plains99]
      #117715 - 27/10/08 06:38 AM

Lancaster commuters got a startling sight on their trip to work earlier this week: a view of a Russian wild boar.

A state trooper spotted the 200-pound animal lying alongside Route 2 in Lancaster around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, said David Procopio, a spokesman for the State Police. Procopio said the reddish-brown boar was so large that the trooper initially thought it was a baby moose.

Lisa Capone, spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, confirmed that the animal was a wild boar. It probably escaped from a game farm because Massachusetts does not have a native, free-roaming wild-boar population, she said.

Wild boars are considered exotic wildlife in the Commonwealth and require a permit, she said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/10/25/wild_boar_found_in_lancaster/

Hmmmm....

Story
.333 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Story]
      #177353 - 19/03/11 12:06 AM

IRVING (AP) – Some Texas cities are going to the hogs.
Neighbors in a Dallas suburb have certainly felt that way since seeing their well-manicured lawns uprooted and sprinkler systems destroyed by packs of hefty feral hogs — beasts that once caused problems mainly for Texas farmers and ranchers.
“I think people expect this to be a rural problem,” Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples said Thursday in Irving, where the city has captured nearly 250 feral hogs since October when they first were discovered roaming around. “This shows that in rural and urban Texas … the lines that divide us are fewer and fewer.”
Arlington and Dallas are among cities along the Trinity River that also have reported problems with wild hogs that weigh several hundred pounds, Staples said.
Wildlife officials say the hogs are now starting to plague urban areas because of changing habitats and prolific reproduction. Texas has up to 2 million of the hairy beasts, about half the nation’s population, and state officials say they cause about $400 million in damage each year.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/03/18/feral-hogs-moving-into-urban-areas-in-texas/

Story
.333 member

#182410 - 24/05/11 11:38 PM

I could see a flintlock jaeger/sau rifle and hirschfanger, but spear?

Some hunters say technology has taken the sport out of hunting. According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, a growing number of hunters are eschewing high-tech rifles and compound bows in favor of more traditional weapons such as flint-tipped arrows and handmade spears.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wildern...-handmade-spear

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704810504576307192623476856.html?mod=WSJ_newsreel_ahed

Someone sent me this, related
http://www.sthubertsrangers.org/

Edited by Story (25/05/11 01:08 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #182411 - 25/05/11 12:02 AM

Some treat them as the pests they've become - this is about the only way shooting can reduce wolf populations in the slightest - has been done in BC - but the use of shotguns limits the kill rates. I'd say these boys about have it down pat.

http://www.vimeo.com/21181307

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: DarylS]
      #182863 - 31/05/11 02:36 AM

We've now got feral hogs here in Pennsylvania. They can be shot year round. Not a huge problem yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Story
.333 member

Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #186268 - 22/07/11 02:28 AM

(Reuters) - Arkansas loves its Razorbacks when they're on the football field, but not so much when they're in the corn fields and flower beds.

Rural Arkansans are seeing Razorback red as feral hogs are destroying yards, wreaking havoc on gardens and leaving behind their waste.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/20/us-feral-hogs-arkansas-idUSTRE76J7W420110720

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #186272 - 22/07/11 03:26 AM

Daryl S - That's one awesome video. I'm not sure of the exact model, but the gun is a 7.62 mm GAU-17/A Minigun. 3,000 RPM to 6000 RPM. Pretty hard on hogs. Was absolute flying hell when used in a C-47 or AC-130 as a side mount. As an aside, the AC-130 also mounted a 105 mm M102 howitzer. Sure wouldn't want to look up and see one of those things overhead. They could put a 7.62 bullet in every square inch of a football field.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #186532 - 26/07/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

We've now got feral hogs here in Pennsylvania. They can be shot year round. Not a huge problem yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Good hunting opportunities then I hope.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: NitroX]
      #186575 - 26/07/11 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good hunting opportunities then I hope.

Hunting opportunities are still rather spotty.

Story
.333 member

#186959 - 31/07/11 12:25 PM

Quote:

Until these guys drive south into our areas.

Quote:

(Reuters) - Wild boar are invading the farms of central New York state, attacking livestock, killing family pets, chasing people and posing "devastating consequences" for the area, federal officials warn.

The feral swine are a non-native species suspected of escaping from game farms, and as many as a couple of hundred are roaming the state, said Paul Curtis, a natural resources professor at Cornell University.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-wildboar-newyork-idUSTRE76S3I220110729

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12696

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com