Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area
      #107237 - 12/06/08 07:18 AM

Dear friends,

I am leaving Brazil to a conference and a few meetings in the San Franscisco (Davis) area (should be there for the first two weeks of july).

I would appreciate if you locals could forward me to the best hunting/guns shops (yes I want to see a few doubles) as well as to any good shotgun range with olympic trap?

Already ordered some .470 brass and bullets (according to my wife I have a covert plan to help boost the US economy).

Thanks a lot, Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Re: help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area [Re: DDouble]
      #107317 - 13/06/08 11:12 AM

Hello Ddouble. I'm unsure about export of brass to Brazil, but I do know that any components exported to Canada must have an export permit from the US State Department. Please check to be sure. It is not the border patrol that will stop you, but the State Department boys. Other gun forums have discussed this matter and a few fellows have been clobbered with penalties.

DDouble
.300 member

Re: help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area [Re: sako300]
      #107622 - 18/06/08 05:37 AM

Thanks for heads up: but I do have the import/export permits for both .470 and .9.3xt4R

Does anyone know of gun shows the first two weeks of July in the SF area?

--------------------
Ddouble

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #107659 - 18/06/08 06:47 PM

Dante-

Three shops come to mind right off the start.

Old West Gun Room
oldwestgunroom.com
3509 Carlson Blvd
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510) 525-5329

Contra Costa Collectible and Firearms
1429 Cypress Street, Walnut Creek
925-937-3376

Sportsmans Access
3125 Penryn Rd
Penryn, CA 95663
916-652-2220

Old West and Contra Costa Collectibles are both quite near San Francisco. Travel time from Davis is about an hour. You should call in advance in order to make sure they'll have double rifles in stock if that is specifically the only thing that you want to see, otherwise these two shops are good to visit anyway as there is always unique and interesting stock you won't find elsewhere.

The third shop I noted, Sportsmans Access, is a well established broker of very high grade double rifles and shotguns, as well as other forms of high grade sporting arms.
Tyler Jones, the owner of the operation, has moved some of the most significant and valuable firearms to come through the state, things such as best grade Purdey game gun pairs and 700NE double rifles.
This shop is a bit of a drive from SF, budget at least two hours in the car from downtown San Francisco to this shop, but I assure you the drive is worth the time.
Travel time from Davis is just under an hour.

While you're out in that part of the state, check out Huntingtons in Oroville, one of the West Coast's most established and trusted sources for reloading supplies and sporting equipment.
While you're there check out the amazing collection of historically significant guns and hunting gear in the back of the shop.

Huntington's
huntingtons.com
601 Oro Dam Blvd. East
Oroville, CA 95965, USA
Phone - 530-534-1210
Toll Free - 1-866-735-6237

Feel free to contact me when you get out this way, I might be interested in joining you for the trip to Tyler's place if you elect to go that route. Same applies to Old West and Contra Costa Collectible.
If you have any more time to goof off while you're out here, drop me a note and let's see if I have time to arrange a day at the ranch shooting doubles, clays, or just blasting steel with the big bore pistols.

Any way it goes, I hope you enjoy your visit to California.
Let me know if I'll be able to help you find what you're looking for when you get out here.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DDouble
.300 member

Re: help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area [Re: tinker]
      #107776 - 21/06/08 12:30 AM

Tinker,

Thanks a lot for all the info. Will put the addresses in my GPS e plan accordingly.

I will have to work and my wife will be with me, so I should have some limited time to spend in gun-shooting activities. But I sure would enjoy some clay shooting and buying you lunch in exchange for even more guiding information. my email is dplanna@esalq.usp.br

Best regards, Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

tinker
.416 member

#107787 - 21/06/08 04:13 AM

Dante-

I am currently recovering from a very recent, fairly extensive knee surgery. I will not be able to withstand a round of clays.

My favorite location for that here in the area is United Sportsmen Inc - here's a link

http://www.unitedsportsmen.com/

They have multiple trap and skeet ranges, complete with stadium lights to backlight the fields into the evening for clay shooting until 9:00PM
There is also a comfortable club house where they maintain a stock of light snacks and drinks.

They also have multi-purpose ranges for tactical/police/action sport shooting and training, and a very nice outdoor pistol and rifle range.
I have shot there, complete with chronograph gear, loading equipment, and casting gear while doing load development for antique early cartridge rifles and double rifles.
I have shot clays there with a couple of my high grade pinfire shotguns too.

It's a very well maintained full-service shooting facility.

I am open for further questions or requests for the time around your visit.
Let's stay in touch.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DDouble
.300 member

#107941 - 23/06/08 11:28 AM

Thanks once again.

Hope your knee gets better. I did a ACL surgery 4 years ago an have since roamed Africa and Montana and played squash competitively.

I am planning on visiting the Lincoln facility which has olympic bunker trap (my thing).

Do you think I should have any trouble to buy .470 brass on the shops you suggested me?

Thanks, Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

tinker
.416 member

#107948 - 23/06/08 02:00 PM

Dante-

470 brass will likely only be found at Huntingtons.
Call or email them first to make sure they will have some in stock.
Shops who stock extensive reloading components are few and far between here in the state, and of shops who actually do stock *even very good selections of reloading supplies* typically don't stock NitroExpress brass due to very low demand and very high price.
It looks like Huntingtons lists Norma 470 brass. Whether or not they have any in stock is another story. Call them and email them right away and see if they have any in stock, how long it would take to get some if they don't, and if they do have some, if they will hold it for you until you can get there in person to pick it up.

If Huntingtons is a bust, scrub the dealers on the WWW such as midway and grafs, call them and see if they have any in stock, and if they do, consider talking to Tyler at Sportsman's Access, Bob at Old West or Chuck at Contra Costa Collectibles and see if you can get them to let you pay them to order it and have it shipped to their shop next day air for you.
470NE brass is expensive, and if you buy in quantity the extra cost of next day shipping won't be significant to the final per-piece cost -- and you may actually be able to end up getting some to take home with you.

I don't shoot the 470, and I'm not familiar with any tricks or possible surrogate brass to form into 470 if you can't find any, but if you start a thread on it you might be able to get a quick response from someone here who does.

Good luck to you on the brass search. It might take some fast foot work from your end to make this come together for you before you go back home, but I think you have a chance.

Also, thanks for the encouraging words on the knee surgery.
There's some pretty extensive cartilage damage in there too, and I have my fingers crossed on my recovery possibilities with that in particular. I had one of the best surgeons in the state do the work, and I'm confident that I'm getting the best chance I can on a solid, reliable, full recovery.

--Tinker

--------------------

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
      #107961 - 24/06/08 12:08 AM

If you want to shoot trap or skeet in one of the most beautiful settings you can imagine, visit the Pacific Rod & Gun Club on San Francisco's Lake Merced. Trap/Skeet ranges are open on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, from 11:00 to 4:00. The club has been there since 1928, and many famous people have shot there over the years.

See http://www.prgc.net/

They sell ammo (steel shot only) and hearing protection, but do not rent shotguns, but tell them you are visiting from abroad and someone in the club house will lend you a gun. They're nice folks. If you decide to shoot there, post to this board your date/time and perhaps one of us Nitro members from the bay area can meet you.

Best wishes for a good trip.

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

tinker
.416 member

Re: help around San Franscisco - Sacramento area [Re: jc5]
      #107978 - 24/06/08 05:20 AM

Great suggestion.
I'd almost completely forgotten about the lake merced clay ranges.

Thanks for adding to the list jc5

--Tinker

DDouble
.300 member

#108466 - 29/06/08 12:52 PM

Thanks a lot.

I had planned to go to Coon Creek Trap and Skeet Club in Lincoln just because I shoot olympic (bunker) trap.

Will try to contact huntington to see if they have some .470 brass. I already ordered from Midway 2 boxes of norma brass but better to get about 20 more (my import permit allows me to bring up to 200 each of brass and bullets). But I also want the dies so I dont have to continue borrowing from a friend. Will check to see if I can get them there as well.

Almost time to leave.

--------------------
Ddouble

tinker
.416 member

#108476 - 29/06/08 02:49 PM

Excellent.

Get on with Huntingtons right away.
If the dies are not in stock at the moment, they might be on the shelf at RCBS, or very close to it.
With your schedule the way it is right now, I'd say every day counts.

Also note, the city of Redding, where Redding Reloading is located, is just a drive north from where you'll be staying.

--Tinker

--------------------

DDouble
.300 member

#109845 - 16/07/08 01:50 PM

Tinker,
I am back home today. With .470 norma brass, woodeleights solids and softs and also redding dies. I just got some ammo as weel. One box of Federal and another of Norma. It will be fun to play with handloading with our powders.
Got to go to several places you mentioned and ended up in Cabela´s in Reno where I bought some more stuff. I had fun in Yosemite with family and the work part went very well too. Just could not shoot while in California. Next time. I may be going to live for a year in Davis.
How good are deer and hog huntings opportunities? Do we need to lease land or pay trespass fees or can I just find public land to hunt?
Once again many thanks. You have a beautiful state, Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

tinker
.416 member

#109848 - 16/07/08 02:43 PM

Dante-

I am happy for your success!
Also I am glad you enjoyed the time you spend in California, this definitely is a beautiful place.

On hog and deer, there are many great opportunities on public land, also there are great opportunities via lease and hired guide.
If you come to hunt, you will enjoy yourself for sure.

--Tinker

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com