Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wildcat cartridge for double rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Wildcat cartridge for double rifles [Re: 450_366]
      #107164 - 10/06/08 09:28 PM

Maybe this idea would go down better if we called it a "custom cartridge" instead of a wildcat. The second term brings to mind super belted magnums with huge amounts of powder sending massive slugs screaming down the barrel. In this instance I am interested in using just enough bullet weight to do the job on medium sized animals reliably, every time, and NOT pushing it over 1500 to 1800 FPS. This should make for a cartridge that could be used in a lightweight ,(7 pound),rifle. Many of the older blackpowder shells would do this and I see no reason not to do it today with modern powders.
One main reason for this idea is that as I get older, I am finding that carrying a rifle all day that weighs much over 7 pounds, wears me out. If I am going to have a light "medium bore", and I say that jokingly, it must be set up for a light recoiling rifle cartridge. I wouldn't mind if it could be trimmed down to 6.5 pounds with short barrels, something around 20 to 22 inches long. That would make for a short, light, easy handling double rifle that people could actually use every day hunting and not get tired of it. We all know that the more you use and practice with one gun, the better you get with it. This just seemed like a good idea to me. Bob H.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Re: Wildcat cartridge for double rifles [Re: 450_366]
      #107344 - 13/06/08 11:21 PM

450_366,
I felt that by straightening out the walls of this cartridge, it would be more able to grip the chamber walls and not exert so much pressure back against the standing breech. The large head would then tend to spread it out over a larger area creating less pressure per square inch. Changing the shoulder angle would mainly help to stop any brass flowage into the neck area which probably wouldn't be any problem anyway. Bob H.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Wildcat cartridge for double rifles [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #107351 - 14/06/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

Maybe this idea would go down better if we called it a "custom cartridge" instead of a wildcat.

Hey we're talking Double Rifles here, so that would be "bespoke cartridge"!
To me, custom just means find a barrel, action, trigger and stock, and then bolt it all together and charge over the odds!

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Re: Wildcat cartridge for double rifles [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #107368 - 14/06/08 05:29 AM

How about calling it a proprietary cartridge? That's a word they use to drive up the prices on custom made things. On second thought, that's not a good word for this project at all. Bob H.

Edited by Birdhunter50 (28/06/08 10:30 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1893

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com