Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
texas exotics... hunting, or shooting???
      #9991 - 24/02/04 03:12 PM

ok, well we all know that there are lots of places in texas (and nebraska for that matter) that offer the chances to hunt species usually found in africa and asia...

in my experience/research, these hunts are exclusively ranch hunts... which brings to point the question... is it really hunting if its a managed herd on a defined piece of property???

I have no answer to offer, but it is something that I struggle with day-to-day in my desire to hunt...

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #10018 - 25/02/04 01:28 AM

I had a couple of buddies hunt exotics in Texas about a year and half ago and told me that this particular ranch they were in was fairly rugged and that it was definitely fair chase. The fenced property was big enough that they never saw the fence line while hunting. The only time they saw it was when entering and exiting the property. The only problem was the fees that they paid which can be very pricey.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
      #10024 - 25/02/04 04:04 AM

I am not overly fond of the fence and high fence operations in general. They do however offer options to both inexperienced hunters and even those with handicaps. I guess we have to define "High Fence". I have hunted several ranches in Texas. Parts of ever the King ranch are naturally fenced. They deal with non indigenous species as well as poachers. At 825,000 acres I hardly consider it a canned hunt. On the other hand total acerage can be very misleading. Consider the YO ranch near Kerrville. It is very well known but in my opinion only offers a canned hunt. Not exactly what I would call bragging rights. Based on the amount of buisiness they do their is apparently a market for such hunts. At The Yo you pick a animal. Say A whitetail. Then you pay for the size you like, say 150 B&C. When you arrive you watch video of the animals they have in that class. Select the one you like. The next morning when your "hunt" begins your animal will already be in a High Fenced Sub Area of several hundred acres. Not very sporting in my opinion. Again I do think it can offer something to the person who is disabled. My wife and I helped sponsor a hunt for a lad that had cancer and wanted to take a monster whitetail. Places like this offer a viable remidy with garunteed sucess. Now on the other hand anyone who thinks that all Texas ranches and exotics are a pick n shoot needs to go on a true texas ranch hunt in the Mountains and chase a Auodad. Let me know how "easy" ity was when you get back !

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #10046 - 25/02/04 08:55 AM

I'll never hunt a Markhor in a Texas ranch, but I been there for a Bison and a Texas Dall.
I think this cuestion depends of the specie to hunt. You can take a big bull Elk in just half an hour or spend a week and don't see any Aoudad to shot

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #10076 - 25/02/04 10:31 AM

Two issues I see.

1) The difficulty or not of the hunting. If you're hunting in a small fenced area and/or open and easy country and the game can not get far, it isn't hunting in my view, just meat gathering off a domestic herd. That's not necessarily wrong. or example if you take a bison under these circumstances and filling the freezer at a good price is the aim, it's no different from buying a cow from a farmer, shooting it and butchering it.

Maybe you get a nice rug and some horns to decorate the wall as well. I certainly keep all the antlers from my farmed deer harvested but they are not trophies, just decorations and memories of the stag in the paddock.

2) Other hunters. Unfortunately some hunters always look at things as a competition. As bragging pieces. If a high fenced animal in an inadequate (size or nature of the property) is used for this purpose that's a bit ridiculous in my view.

Same as entering record books (I have never entered a record book as it doesn't interest me). Record books if they can be entered at all should clearly distinguish free range from fenced hunts. Not because fenced hunts are always easier (sometimes they are harder). But because often the game and trophy quality of a fenced animal is modified through extensive breeding and supplements to aid antler (or whatever) growth. Also because a lot of fenced hunts are not true fair chase.

BUT also sometimes other hunters are the problem. If a guy wants to go out and hunt a deer in a large fenced property for a bit of fun, the animal is wild and not freshly pen released, what is wrong with that?

It's up to the individual hunter to decide as long as they are honest when 'bragging' about where and how it was taken.

Just my opinion. Others have different opinions and that is fine.

PS I am seriously thinking about checking out a 'fenced" hunt this year, not with my rifle but bow. As long as I get in some serious practice. The property is normally rifle shot and the distances not conclusive to bow hunting. BUT the accomodation rate is very cheap so may give it a try.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: NitroX]
      #10079 - 25/02/04 10:35 AM

PPS

But hunting eg African plains game in Texas (or wherever) is NOTHING like a safari in Africa.

Don't try to substitute them. Save those dollars for the real thing!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #10091 - 25/02/04 11:56 AM

Nitro, that's for sure.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #10148 - 26/02/04 03:01 AM

Chuck Wagon,tell me more about the YO Ranch.Can i hunt a whitetail there in the month of May?How much would it cost to bag a big one?Since i only go to the States in the summers its the only chance i have of bagging a whitetail.
Thanks.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: iqbal]
      #10153 - 26/02/04 04:31 AM

No not in may as they will not have antlers then. You might try a internet search for the YO RANCH TEXAS. Then you can have them mail you their info.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #10179 - 26/02/04 11:22 AM

A little different take on the same question.

How do you guys feel about hunting species in New Mexico or Texas that cannot be hunted anymore in Africa? Something like Addax or Scimitar horned Oryx?

Always thought they are beautiful and interesting animals, but until after I'm long gone, I'm sure they won't be in huntable numbers in their native homeland.

WyoHunter
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/03
Loc: Central Wyoming, USA
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: DPhillips]
      #10554 - 02/03/04 02:35 AM

I hunt exotics and hogs each year on different bowhunting only ranches in Texas and consider it challenging and a welcome escape from the cold here in Wyoming in January. But it's not the same as hunting whitetails or elk on public ground. But the again I don't consider hunting deer or elk on managed property to be the same as hunting deer or elk on public property or national forest. Whatever you hunt or whatever way you choose to hunt if you bowhunt it makes the playing field a lot different. I hunt with rifle, pistol, shotgun and bow so I know of what I speak.

--------------------
Hunting's a lifestyle and a passion not a competition!

NRA Life Member

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Re: texas exotics... hunting, or shooting??? [Re: DPhillips]
      #10668 - 02/03/04 09:32 PM

I was gonna ask the same question DPhillips!
The chances of hunting addax, scimitar-horned oryx, nilgai etc. are between slim and none! If you want the experience there is only one way to do it...as long as the place has good references and is the size of a good RSA game farm (whoever thought up that name sure didn't care about PC!) it should be a no-brainer!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2134

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com