Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recoil Reducers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Recoil Reducers
      #10640 - 02/03/04 02:20 PM

Can anyone advise on the best brand of mercury recoil reducer/s that will fit into the buttstock of BIG recoiling rifles?
Are these things worth the money and do they actually cut down on felt recoil at the shoulder?
TIA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: 4seventy]
      #10650 - 02/03/04 03:28 PM

Alan

I asked the question earlier and the consensus was no. Lead does as well and is cheaper.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: mickey]
      #10656 - 02/03/04 04:49 PM

Mickey, if that's what you got out of it, then you did not read the posts.

Mercury works clearly better than lead, but I will not belabor the point. See what was posted on accurate reloading about this, or try it for yourself.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: 4seventy]
      #10682 - 02/03/04 11:42 PM

For DB's, unless the weight is calculated and allowed for when building it, the balance will be upset. For bolts, weight is needed on the fore arm to keep it from being butt heavy. Each recoil reducer is about 1 1/2#. They do work for the newer shooter and the hardened shooters just disdain them.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: 500grains]
      #10713 - 03/03/04 04:20 AM

500grains

I posted this question here and on AR and the consensus was that mercury was more of a pschological advantage than real. That in reality they were about equal with lead being much cheaper.

I don't know. Until someone puts both in the same rifle for comparison than it's just speculation. I have never used a mercury rifle, that's why I asked the question.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #10749 - 03/03/04 11:19 AM

I personally think its all hogwash, I have tried the murcury reducers and they mostly just add weight and I bet lead would do the same thing, lot of hype in the gun business and a sucker born every day I am told..they also throw a gun totally out of balance unless you use one in the butt and one in the forend...Now this is only my opine.

What bothers me about this stuff is all these guys that proclaim total control over the big bores and recoil is but a soft push in big bores are now professing to using one and even two "recoil reducers", Hmmmmmmm confirms all my suspecions...

But if they help and fill you with joy, then by all means use them, I think the barrel mounted brake is the answer to recoil, but then I don't shoot guns that need such ugly inconvient additions, I stay with the 404, 416 and tough it out with my .470..

500grains
.416 member

Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: atkinson6]
      #10760 - 03/03/04 12:53 PM

Ray, when you said hogwash, did you mean physics 101? If your knowledge were as big as your bluster, I would not have to keep taking grains of salt as I read these posts.

The mercury remains immobile while the rifle begins to move under recoil.

Then the end of the mercury tube slams into the stationary mercury, retarding the recoil of the rifle.

Lead in the butt begins to move at the same time as the rest of the rifle and does not provide the counterforce of stationary mercury. Hence the greater recoil reduction of mercury.

500grains
.416 member

#10761 - 03/03/04 12:55 PM

Mickey, if you had read the thread on AR, you would know that Robgunbuilder switched mercury and lead in and out of the same rifle while he and his son test fired it. They both noticed a substantial reduction in felt recoil with mercury compared to lead.

mickey
.416 member

#10765 - 03/03/04 01:18 PM

I missed that post or maybe that thread. I don't find much of value on AR anymore. Other than the African Forum that is.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/04
      #10786 - 03/03/04 03:07 PM

Mercury works better than lead! You can prove it yourself as the mercury recoil reducers can be easily removed from a stock and substituted with a lead rod of equal weight. THere is a most definately noticeable improvement in felt recoil with Mercury tubes. 500 grns explained why correctly! The mercury will oppose the recoil forces while lead will not! All lead does is add weight. That helps but not as much as Mercury!!! I have added three in the butt and one in the forearm on big kickers and it makes a considerable difference. Why or Why would anybody allow themselves to get the shit kicked out of them by not using Mercury tubes and muzzel brakes? I like big guns, I'm no fan of recoil and pain! It is possible to shoot big guns without pain! In any event the problem I'm having isn't recoil its Torque! I may have to start making muzzel brakes with holes drilled at an angle to use the gas to oppose the torque reaction.-Rob

Edited by Robgunbuilder (03/03/04 03:13 PM)

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: Robgunbuilder]
      #10789 - 03/03/04 03:25 PM

I had Ed plumber place two reducers in my 458lott at his request he claims they are very effective also, as I have nothing to compare it to before I cannot say how effective they are over not having them but the theory sounds reasonable to me. He claimed his rifles are a bit barrel heavy without them due to the heavy taper and the reducers actually improve the balance. I do know the Hart mercury guide rods in handguns seam to improve muzzel flip but as to rifles I am not sure.

The only drawback besides a bit more weight is the slosh effect you get when carrying the rifle, its not bad but noticeable and could bother some people.

James F. Nixon III

mickey
.416 member

Re: Recoil Reducers [Re: Robgunbuilder]
      #10791 - 03/03/04 03:31 PM

In reply to:

I'm having isn't recoil its Torque! I may have to start making muzzel brakes with holes drilled at an angle to use the gas to oppose the torque reaction.-Rob

If you took the rifle to Australia would the torque double?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #10840 - 04/03/04 08:35 AM

Thanks for the 101 lesson. I will try harder.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #10867 - 04/03/04 01:59 PM

In reply to:

If you took the rifle to Australia would the torque double?

I dont think it would double but would simply torque in the opposite direction

James F. Nixon III

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com