Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Common mounts for my doubles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Common mounts for my doubles?
      #106065 - 26/05/08 04:06 AM

Greetings again double gunners! I picked up two Merkel SXS this week.
They are a 140A in 375 for me...and a .30-06 for Mrs. ( She insisted a pair of doubles was a good idea, and I Should do the right thing and buy them both! LOL- Who am I to argue?)

These were the last 2 on the shelf. Hers, has 2 tap holes, mine has none.

I realize there are $500.00 Merkel mounts, and ANY mount I choose must have QD capability.

But, will I been thrown from this forum, and bannished to the "Bolt Gunners" if I get a set of Leupold or Sako QD mounts tapped to the solid rib? It should be strong, No? And 1/3 the price! And, most importantly, we should still be able to use the iron sights, with scope removal?

Appreciate the advice. I searched the forum, but didn't see this discussed. I understand proper claw mounts are difficult to 'smith.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Common mounts for my doubles? [Re: sako300]
      #106066 - 26/05/08 04:17 AM

Belive me it will not look good, recknagel mounts are the way to go.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #106074 - 26/05/08 05:36 AM

Depends on the rib width but you quite well may be able to have the rib cut for Talleys or Warnes. This entails thumbnail cuts on the side and a cross cut. I have mounted Ruger rings in this manner on a Chapuis and found it to be inobtrusive and to function quite well. I think Searcy builds his ribs to take Talleys. My Merkel 141 came with a removable front dovetail and the rear base in place. I installed MAK pivot mounts in just a few minutes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #106080 - 26/05/08 07:56 AM

SAKO300, the first thing you will have to do if you want to mount on top of the rib is, level the barrels in a mill, and mill the two places where the mounts are to go level with the barrel pair's bore, and with each other! The ribs are rarely, if ever that level. That may not sound bad, but when you mount the rings they will not line up if both bases are not exactly the same!

Take a set of rings clamped down on the bases, and stand them on top of the rib, and look through the rings, and I think you will see they do not line up. One will tilt to one side, and the other to the other side, or both to the same side, but by different amounts!
There is nothing wrong with mounting a scope on a double rifle, but it should be done properly. Good luck!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

sako300
.224 member

Re: Common mounts for my doubles? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #106107 - 26/05/08 01:01 PM

Thanks guys. I see your points. But I would think a one piece Weaver grand slam base should provide a level surface for both rings. They come in quick detach as well. If one were to drill and tap the rib, It would seem to be quite a stable platform. I took a level to the rib (1/2 inch wide) and levelled the gun. I then took the level with spacers on each side, and it too reads level. (crude, yes), but is it precise enough to mount?

Are the mounting points of the bases supposed to be the barrels or the rib?
I'd be glad to post pics, If I could figure how!

sako300
.224 member

#106110 - 26/05/08 01:23 PM

Sorry, Dugaboy1, I just realized you meant level the rib parallel to the bore line, not side to side. Mybad. Does this need to be exact, or could a slight angle be compensated by scope turret adjustment?

Anybody had their rib tapped and mounted a scope this way?

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Common mounts for my doubles? [Re: zimhunter]
      #106115 - 26/05/08 03:30 PM

zimhunter;
Could you, please, post a link to MAK pivot
mounts?
TIA

Raff

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Common mounts for my doubles? [Re: Raff]
      #106200 - 28/05/08 03:04 AM

The MAK link is www.kilic-feintechnik.de this will bring up the site in German but it gives you several options for language. Pick the British flag for English. I found them terrific to deal with and just sent them the model of the rifle and the scope I was going to mount (so they would know the objective size I suppose for height)and they sent me the specs for the mount I needed. They accepted Visa and delivery was about one week. They even sent me a collet to hold the rear spacer if I had to machine it for absolutely perfect fit (which I did not). This rear spacer is also an eccentic which allows windage adjustment to be made although it's not very convenient to do it that way. I found them to be of the highest quality and workmanship and easy to install. They also have a myriad of other mounts to fit almost any concievable requirement. Price for rings and bases and shipping was around $500.

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Re: Common mounts for my doubles? [Re: zimhunter]
      #106377 - 31/05/08 01:21 AM

Thanks for this link. I just ordered a set of ultra low fixed mounts for my Baikal.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2326

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com