Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako 75 Stock Finish

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Sako 75 Stock Finish
      #106020 - 25/05/08 09:43 AM

Hi everyone, Does anyone have a Sako 75 rifle with there oiled stock finish,It may be practical but it leaves a lot to be desired from an "Aesthetics" point of view. Not being a gunsmith or stockmaker, has anyone upgraded the finish on their's, and what did you use and was the result either good or bad. I have two and although the rifles are great, the oil finish leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Maybe it needs more oil, I just don't know. Please help.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Sako 75 Stock Finish [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #106027 - 25/05/08 12:21 PM

I've used Truoil on 2 Sako stocks in the past & they do improve the finish. Daryl had a post about a month ago with some great info on Truoil finish.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Sako 75 Stock Finish [Re: Nakihunter]
      #106031 - 25/05/08 02:14 PM

Any stock I re-do, where I suspect there may be some oil present / possible oil bleeding I use Truoil as the finish. I apply as many coats as necessary to fill the pores, removing the finish with fine steel wool every 2 to 3 coats till the pores are full. Then I apply as many coats as necessary to finish the job, usually 5 to 10 using a paper kitchen towel which gives you a very fine thin coat. Finally smooth out / de-glaze the final coat with 0000 steel wool and hard paste wax and polish with a wool cloth for a nice mellow glow. Don't forget to mask out the checkering or you'll need to clean it up afterwards. Nice thing is if you mess up it's easy to start over, steel wool off the finish and begin again. --- John303.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Sako 75 Stock Finish [Re: John303]
      #106034 - 25/05/08 03:35 PM

Thanks Nakihunter & John303,

It looks like Truoil seems the way to go. I will look up Daryl's post. If anything else comes to mind please give me a nudge, although 62 years of age, you can still teach an old dog new tricks. Where is the best place to get the fine steel wool and hard paste?? I seem to only be able to find the soapy steel wool where I live?? Is there any books that you suggest that I read ??
Thanks again.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #106035 - 25/05/08 03:49 PM

Check this thread. You should be able to get the fine steel wool in any building suppy or hardware store. Please post some before & after pictures. Good luck. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post101763

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Sako 75 Stock Finish [Re: Nakihunter]
      #106096 - 26/05/08 12:06 PM

Thank you all for your assistance, I will do a lot of reading and try out the process on an oldie before the new one.

You Said: "Finally smooth out / de-glaze the final coat with 0000 steel wool and hard paste wax and polish with a wool cloth for a nice mellow glow."

Where & What do you mean "Hard Paste Wax" is this ordinary Wax??

Again thanks....

Edited by CHAPUISARMES (26/05/08 03:59 PM)

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
      #106389 - 31/05/08 08:20 AM

Chapuisarmes , buddy I have the same stock all I used as a filler was some rotten stone powder mixed CCL stock oil until filled rubbing in with a 2"x2" of soft cotton then wipe off and hand rubwith your palm
leave it for 2days loner the better then applied ballistol , the world's best oil IMO wipe down and keep applying ballistol I am happy with end finish for field use. I buy the ballistol in the neat oil form not the spray .... hope this helps.

ps rotten stone is bloody hard to find !!

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 335

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com