Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Zapata
.224 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Magnum-style cartridges in doubles
      #10598 - 02/03/04 09:49 AM

Hey, Y'all

Keep in mind, this from a DR-uneducated redneck, but I feel I need to question everyone's opinion on the use of H&H-style cases in doubles. It seems to me that a properly constructed spring type extractor such as is used in the Ruger #1 single shot were applied to the DR, and as long as nearly straight-walled cases were used, (.458 WM, .458 Lott, .458x3" Express,etc) were used, and the best load accuracy-wise was used, rather than the most vicious, was used to regulate the arm in the first place, then the arm would surely be as trust-worthy as the various rimmed choices, and a whole lot cheaper to feed!!! This tirade is purposely pointed away from the myriad bottle-necked cases that use the belted configuration, since most of these are loaded to too high an intensity level to fit into my picture, and the fact that these cases are harder to extract than the slow taper of a so-called straight-walled case.

I'm currently planning to build my first double-rifle, using one of the stronger side-lock or box-lock American 12-bore actions as the base. I intend to chamber this arm for something like the 45-120, 450#2, 50-140, or the like, but have thought long and hard about the .458x3" Express, simply for the fact that a fellow should be able to come upon an easily regulated load with a 500-grainer at around 2200 f.p.s. in a very low pressure load, due to the extra case capaccity.

Please, won't someone put me out of my misery on this subject, so I can get on down the road with this project, for cripe sakes!!!!

"When in Doubt, Use More Gun!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: Zapata]
      #10614 - 02/03/04 11:04 AM

The holy grail of double rifles rounds is a flanged, low pressure cartridge.

The very primise of the double rifle was to deliver a large caliber bullet at moderate speed with low pressure in tropical heat. The "Low" pressure and flanged case insured no sticky spent cases to slow your reloading.

The design of the action of a double rifle does not lend it's self to high pressure rimless cases. If your desire is to have a high velocity rifle, look somewhere other than the double rifle. All double rifle will eventually "shoot of the face". A double rifle with a high pressure "magnum round" will get there a Hell of a lot sooner!

Just my opine!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: Zapata]
      #10619 - 02/03/04 11:30 AM

In reply to:

It seems to me that a properly constructed spring type extractor such as is used in the Ruger #1 single shot were applied to the DR, and as long as nearly straight-walled cases were used, (.458 WM, .458 Lott, .458x3" Express,etc) were used, and the best load accuracy-wise was used, rather than the most vicious, was used to regulate the arm in the first place, then the arm would surely be as trust-worthy as the various rimmed choices, and a whole lot cheaper to feed!!

The Ruger No1 ejector is very reliable, I agree! IMO, however, the ejecting of the cartridge is not the main problem, though it is a concearn! The problem with chambering a double rifle to a high pressure cartridge, is the reliability of the rifle it's self! Even the 450NE 3 1/4" is getting up there in pressure for a double, at around 40,000 cup. As sure as the sun rises, someone will try to use the double with factory ammo, or the loads offered in load books, thinking since it is so chambered, the loads will be OK! They will not be, especially in a converted 12 ga shotgun. The three chamberings you mention above, 458 WM, 458 LOTT, and 450x3" all will generate upwards of 60,000 cup, if factory, or standard loads are used!

In reply to:

I'm currently planning to build my first double-rifle, using one of the stronger side-lock or box-lock American 12-bore actions as the base. I intend to chamber this arm for something like the 45-120, 450#2, 50-140, or the like, but have thought long and hard about the .458x3" Express, simply for the fact that a fellow should be able to come upon an easily regulated load with a 500-grainer at around 2200 f.p.s. in a very low pressure load, due to the extra case capaccity.

The 45-120, 450#2 NE, or 50-140, should be OK if you use a very strong shotgun action. I'm not sure I agree that an American made shotgun is as strong as many of the Europian actions! The problem with many shotguns is they do not have very well fitted lock-ups, and many times become "SELF OPENERS"! The 458X3" developing 2200 fps with a 500 gr bullet will certainly be pushing the envelope where pressure is concearned! The box locks will be stronger, in most cases. The sidelocks have a lot of wood removed in the wrist area of the stock, the weakest part of the stock, and most side lock actions made in the USA are bar actio side-lock, and this is the weakest type of action among doubles! In any event, when you finish the rifle, stamp a "MAX LOAD" on the flats, and on the rib just ahead of the chambers, and make sure anyone you sell this rifle to, is made aware of it's limitations!

I think if you stick with the old sharps, and such, and stick with proper smokeless, for black powder loadings for them, you will be OK! You will be quite suprised at what some of those old cartridges will do on things like Moose, and bear!

My advice is tread lightly, with chamber pressures! Only one load that is too high can destroy the rifle, and God forbid, your head, or hands!

All this is only one man's opinion, and worth exactly what you are paying for it, to anyone but me!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10704 - 03/03/04 03:38 AM

In a word, the answer is NO...Only rimmed rounds in a double..Most desired of the double rifles calibers are the 470 N.E., 500, N.E. and 450-400 N.E. and probably in that order, not to say the other are not equally as good but these three are the most sought after IMO....

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10729 - 03/03/04 08:47 AM

Mac,

While your at it, maybe you could help me out on a "project" I want to have done. I'll be getting a set of Valmet 375 Win Big Bore barrels and would like to re-chamber them to 375 FM. The problem doesn't appear to be in wall thickness or the sort. I have a set of '06 that were re-chambered to 30 Super and they work just fine.

My concern is the rim thickness... .063 in the Win and .055 in the 375. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might get into here, and what else I might consider? I was thinking of using a 348Win case, but the base is somewhat larger, and it isn't a commercialy produced round like the 375 FM??? Also, I want to drive 300 gr bullets at 375FM velocities without high pressures.

Can I build up the extrector rims a bit and cheat with the headspace a bit...is this all too spooky...?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: luv2safari]
      #10730 - 03/03/04 08:54 AM

There is a great source of .375 Flanged cases from
MAST TECHNOLOGY'S B.E.L.L. BRASS. Load 'em up!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles [Re: luv2safari]
      #10827 - 04/03/04 04:37 AM

In reply to:

Mac,

While your at it, maybe you could help me out on a "project" I want to have done. I'll be getting a set of Valmet 375 Win Big Bore barrels and would like to re-chamber them to 375 FM. The problem doesn't appear to be in wall thickness or the sort. I have a set of '06 that were re-chambered to 30 Super and they work just fine.

My concern is the rim thickness... .063 in the Win and .055 in the 375. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might get into here, and what else I might consider? I was thinking of using a 348Win case, but the base is somewhat larger, and it isn't a commercialy produced round like the 375 FM??? Also, I want to drive 300 gr bullets at 375FM velocities without high pressures.

Can I build up the extrector rims a bit and cheat with the headspace a bit...is this all too spooky...?

First off, the 375 H&H FL should clean out the old chamber, and and the rim diameter of the 375 H&H FL Mag will clean out the rim as well, so headspace will not cause a problem! The one place that needs looking at is the diameter of the 375 FL case at the point of the case mouth of the 375 Win. The numbers are:

375 FL

rim dia= .572

head dia= .511

shoulder dia= .450

lngth to shldr= .2.40

rim thickness= .05

375 Win
rim dia= .506

head dia= .418

shldr dia= .NA

lngth to mouth= 2.020 (dia at mouth .400)

rim thickness= .063

375 JDJ

rim dia= .510

head dia= .464

sldr dia= .452

lgnth to shldr= 1.809

rim thickness= .062

One needs to look closely at some precision drawings to be sure, but I think the 375 FL will clean out fine, and the extractors can be opened up as well, I think.

I know the 375 JDJ will cleanout the 375 Win chamber, because I had one done a few years ago, and it worked like a charm. Now T/C is makeing factory ammo for the JDJ! I don't know what pressures are involved with it, but it is most likely not too hot, because they are for their T/C pistols! The barrels have a 1 in 12" twist, which is standard for a 375, so the bullets you use will not be a problem.

Hope any of this helps, but if I were you, I'd touch base with someone who has some scale drawings, to avoid leaving a ring in the chamber wall, before cutting a new chamber! However, I don't think the headspace will be a problem.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3113

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com