Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another Project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
WCF
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: georgia
Another Project
      #105958 - 24/05/08 02:13 AM

I have a couple of Damascus barreled shotguns, LC SMITH 12 GA (28' barrel cut) and Remington Mod 1894 (26" barrel cut). I plan on woking up black powder round ball loads for each to pursue whitetail deer. If I'm way off the mark here please shoot me with a side by side rifle (British Vintage), anyway; I was pondering these questions;

(1)If the barrels have enough barrel thickness at the muzzle end, can rifled choke tubes be installed?

(2)Could choke tubes be made with the correct rate of twist for round balls?

(3)Could these (imagainary)tubes be made four to six inches in length flush mounted to the muzzle? This question is prompted only because I've tried the short rifled tubes with very little success.

Both guns are in excellent condition, on face with sound wood, just lopped off barrels.

Thanks in advance.

wcf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Another Project [Re: WCF]
      #106017 - 25/05/08 08:44 AM

If they are true damascus barrels, I would personally not attempt that.

I would be most concerned that the ball hitting the rifleing may produce a rise in pressure at just the wrong place in the barrel. True paradox guns have quite thick barrel walls.

Regards

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
Re: Another Project [Re: Bramble]
      #106186 - 27/05/08 10:50 PM

As would be expected, Bramble has provided some EXCELLENT advice. Personally, I don't trust Damascus barrels on any old gun even for shot - as a rule. Don't wish to revive any argument, it's simply my own personal rule.
Many overlook the fact that during the W-WII years a lot of old ammo (a surprising amount of obsolete BP ammo left on shelves and in back rooms) was used by kids and others without proper supervision who didn't follow the necessary cleaning proceedures.

WCF
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: georgia
Re: Another Project [Re: oupa]
      #106190 - 27/05/08 11:18 PM

Thanks for the info, after further thought I agree that this is a task best left alone.

.224 member

Reged: 24/03/08
Loc: western pa. u s a
Re: Another Project [Re: WCF]
      #106345 - 30/05/08 11:45 AM

WCF you need .840 o.d. diameter for win or rem style choke tubes if the bore is on center. I don't have the sizes for thinwall tubes but don't think that I would use them to shoot round balls out of.I think thr round ball will strain some of the choke tubes because they will not compress like a rifle slug but behave like a punkin ball.just a thought.Joe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 473

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com