Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bearly Spring...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Bearly Spring...
      #105136 - 15/05/08 10:58 AM

Alot of bear hunters all around our parts here are frustrated this year, and I am one of them. Spent the day today looking for bear sign. I hoped to get over the top of the mountain and scope some clearcuts, but the weather wasn't accomodating and the snow kept me on ski's most of the time...

Saw a moose at about 35 yards, SAW a turkey, and found a nice big whitetail shed but NO bear sign. From a hunting standpoint the day was a bust {except I now know where that big whitetail lives... }

Kickoff involved hauling the 4 wheeler in the stock trailer till I couldn't go any further, then I took the 4 wheeler till I got stuck in the snow, then I went to skis and snowshoes to the top, and then tried for the south-facing, melted-off slopes where I hoped to find sign.

Well, in the rain and blowing sleet, I found 3-feet-deep, hard-packed snow at the ridgetop, and for a time didn't need ski's or snowshoes:

But the fog and rain kept at it hard and I confess after several miles and ZERO visibility down the slopes, I gave up and started the ski trek back down to lower elevation:

My HVA and a burned-out tree stump along the trail:

Spring runoff is running hard and fast:

The weekend promises to be warm and Sonny and I might give the bears and turkeys a rest and go have a whack at the brook trout...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Bearly Spring... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105194 - 15/05/08 10:01 PM

Well worth the try even though the weather is a bummer. I leave for northern Quebec in two weeks to try for another bruin.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bearly Spring... [Re: AspenHill]
      #105203 - 15/05/08 10:31 PM

93x57

Everytime I see your stories I get cold!

HVA I presume is a Husqvarna? What calibre and is the stock with the schnabel forend original? Do you know when the rifle was made? (or approximately)

The reason is I have a Mauser 96 ex-military 6.5x55 to restock one day and was looking for a "traditional" Scandanavian stock design. Most modern hunters use the same stocks as Yankee designs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bearly Spring... [Re: AspenHill]
      #105205 - 15/05/08 10:32 PM

I never get bored of seeing the sights whatever they may be. Yesterday I skied and hiked quite a bit of elevation, from green to snow to lush green. Saw the gray jays, too. But no bear sign of any kind, in areas where normally there would be. It's supposed to be in the high 80's this weekend.

Ann, you'll be in bear-thick country there!

Good hunting and please take pix.

I having trouble remembering what a bear looks like !!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bearly Spring... [Re: NitroX]
      #105208 - 15/05/08 10:38 PM

Quote:

93x57

Everytime I see your stories I get cold!

HVA I presume is a Husqvarna? What calibre and is the stock with the schnabel forend original? Do you know when the rifle was made? (or approximately)

The reason is I have a Mauser 96 ex-military 6.5x55 to restock one day and was looking for a "traditional" Scandanavian stock design. Most modern hunters use the same stocks as Yankee designs.

Ooops, John, I posted right above just after you did.

Cold and soaking wet...

But temps are due to skyrocket over the weekend!

Yes, Husqvarna. It is made during the first period when they used FN military 98 actions; circa 1938-41. This one was 1940 I believe.

Caliber is 9.3x57.

The stock is original but I have modified the comb for left shoulder shooting, giving it a bit of Hog's Back in the process. I have made quite a few modifications to the gun since I got it; relief of the tang, epoxy bedding, bolt handle reforged for scope, D/T, recoil pad installed, crispened up the trigger.

It is a favorite of mine.

I like the stock design and wish similar types were available but you are right, trying to find a drop in of similar design is hard!!

Here's a game of "Find the Moose" in the burned-over logging site:

I encouraged him to "get lost", as there is no season on them now and a friend of ours got plumb run over by one some time back. This fellow is about 35 yards away. Can't seen much here, particularly his antlers which have two small stubs forming.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (15/05/08 11:29 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #105226 - 16/05/08 12:58 AM

Cool pictures. We've still got snow, and not all that high up. Like you, this weekedn, starting today, Thursday, our spring weather starts. Supposed to be in the high 70's for a couple days. That'll bring the rivers up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bearly Spring... [Re: DarylS]
      #105401 - 17/05/08 11:36 PM

Supposed to be 90 degrees today. Rivers risin', you bet!!

Going brook trout fishing. Will bring a rifle or some powder-burner in case we run into a bruin.

It would be kind of frustrating to bring my .22 pistol and find myself fishing right next to a state record blacky...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #105402 - 17/05/08 11:56 PM

Hit 83 in the shade (where I stayed as much as possible) at the RC flying field yesterday. Using 45 sun block and still burned. I truely hate the sun and it's stifling heat. Thankfully, its a bit cloudy today and might rain a bit this afternoon to cool things down.
; Yesterday was a bit of a shock - from a normal daytime high of 50F the last few weeks since spring arrived, to 83f in the shade in one day. Supposted to get up around 76F today- a bit better, but still kinda warm.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

LarrysGrip
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Upstate, SC, USA
      #105617 - 19/05/08 11:49 PM

Quote:

Supposed to be 90 degrees today. Rivers risin', you bet!!

Going brook trout fishing.

Looked like a real heat wave working out West and thought of you melting. You are such a pioneer! Glad to see you getting the cardio-vascular exercise and eating trout for your heart. Whatever, sounds like good stuff. Did you catch some nice fish? Did Sonny go with you? How about the gals? Know you must be thankful that it's Bearly Spring. When's bruin season there? Thanks for the nice pictures. Of course, Husky is handsome anywhere in any season.

--------------------
Larry

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com