Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: new entry..looking for wildcats

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Cartridge Collecting and Swapping

Pages: 1
Pivi
.224 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: italy
new entry..looking for wildcats
      #104968 - 13/05/08 04:28 PM

Hi Guys,
my name is Marco and I am an Italian cartridge/case collector.
I have almost 1050 samples in my collection,from 2 mm berloque to 4 gauge.
I am fond of english cartridges but I am looking for some cases of the most common big bore american wildcats ( 416 taylor for example).
Can someone help me?I have some duplicates of small/medium caliber european cartridges to trade,most of them difficoult to obtain in the USA ( 6 x 62R freres,6,5 x 57R,5,6 x 52R and others)

Thank You

--------------------
Proud to be Furlan pividori.marco@gmail.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: Pivi]
      #116199 - 03/10/08 06:02 PM

Marco,

I can hook you up with some wildcat cases if I can find where my spousal unit has hidden them. I have somewhere around here, off the top of my head, 6 br, 6x.284, 6.5x.284, .35 whelen, .338x06, and probably a few others. Let me know what you want and I will get them off to you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: Taos]
      #116213 - 04/10/08 12:50 AM

Many thanks,
I already have the 6 br ( norma and remington),the 35 whelen and the 6,5-284 ( do you consider them as wildcats?).I miss the other ones you listed.

I usually trade this stuff through a friend of mine who lives in Arizona.If you don't like to send them directly to Italy ( because it is expensive too) you could send them to him.
I have quite a few wildcat samples in my collection because in Italy they are almost unknown.
Any caliber you could find would be OK,because if I already have them they can be useful for trades here

Anyway you can contact me here:

pividori.marco@gmail.com

Pivi
.224 member

Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: Anonymous]
      #116214 - 04/10/08 12:54 AM

I have posted the answer above without being logged....so my name appeared as "anonymous"

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#116996 - 15/10/08 06:34 PM

They were wildcats when I was shooting them.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #117017 - 16/10/08 01:10 AM

I also have 6/284 as well at 7/300 Weatherby--which was the first caliber I used for caribou..can have a few of them if you wish..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: Ripp]
      #117021 - 16/10/08 02:35 AM

Privi- the best way to get a lot of the wildcats is to make them yourself. Simply run a .410" to .416" expander into a .338 case and you have your .416 Taylor. The expander button from a .41 Mag die set will work. Same idea can be used to make the host of wildcats on the .30/06 case, to .40 cal. The Improved Wildcats would be more difficult, of course, without a rifle in at least one of the '06's Improved chambers from .25/06IMP to .400 Whelen IMP. Then, simple necking makes the case. A good capacity Dead-Die Box helps, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pivi
.224 member

Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: DarylS]
      #117025 - 16/10/08 03:00 AM

400 Whelen can't be made from 30/06 brass without headspacing troubles.It should be done from straight cases.Yes,I know that a lot of wildcats are simple to make by necking them up or down,however the best ones are those that had been fired in their rifles.

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #117038 - 16/10/08 05:15 AM

Quote:

400 Whelen can't be made from 30/06 brass without headspacing troubles.It should be done from straight cases.Yes,I know that a lot of wildcats are simple to make by necking them up or down,however the best ones are those that had been fired in their rifles.

Myth!!!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pivi
.224 member

Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: DoubleD]
      #117042 - 16/10/08 06:14 AM

????
I asked a wildcatter to make a 400 whelen for me from 30/06 brass.That was his answer

also,Daryl,you said that I can make a 416 Taylor just necking up a 338 winchester case,but what about the shoulder position?I have the wildcat 416/338 winchester magnum,made simply by necking up a 338 case but it is similar but not identical to the 416 Taylor.

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#117047 - 16/10/08 08:06 AM

Yep Myth.

http://www.z-hat.com/smashing_the_headspace_myth.htm

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

#117088 - 17/10/08 04:26 AM

Privi - your collection is about empty cases, not brass ready for shooting - I thought. In looking at a case, can you see .002" or .010" difference in shoulder length? Both these measurements are shorter than many standard rifle's headspace, let alone a wildcat which has no SAAMI
restriction. You must measure what is needed for shoulder, etc, and form them accordingly if that is your wish. Some need necking up straight then re-necking, while others don't. Check some reamer printouts and then form the cases accordingly. Note that most wildcats are just that - they're wildcats and measurements from one chamber to another only meet the 'close' category. Shoulder lengths can vary a lot from rifle to rifle, although they might have the same ctg. stamp.

Headspace problems are created by those who shouldn't be shooting Wildcats. In order to shoot any Wildcat, one must have an understanding of headspace and how to manage it perfectly - ie: fit the round to the chamber - perfectly. Then, the brass will last almost indefinitely. Lack of this knowledge leades to headspace problems & thus the myths are born - which are then expounded upon by gun-rag writers needing a few more 'words' income. These guys usually meet the "shouldn't to shooting wildcats" category. An accomplished handloader can properly headspace ammo in a .30/06 case blown out straight to an improved .005" per side taper. - no shoulder at all. Not many would do it, but they are capable and know what has to be done.

As to headspace on belted cases - measure the headspace on a number of different belted cases and see what you get. They should all be within the SAMMI standard of .007", same as rimless, but aren't. BTW - .007" headspace in a chamber is very sloppy work, but normal for many factory gun makers. You'll find factory ammo to have short shoulders as they rely upon the belt to 'sort-of' hold the case back against the bolt. The shoulder blows forward upon firing, then gets shoved back all the way again by an unknowing reloader when he full length sizes. FL sizing is the main culprit in creating excessive headspace for a chamber that is within SAAMI specs. This is why some rifles eat brass in 2 or 3 firings - insipient head separations - the ONLY cause is excessive headspace, whether it's in belted magums and any other modern case. There are 2 causes for this. Lack of knowledge and gun-prep cover both.

As to the .458" .400 Whelen shoulder, this is actually .004" larger than most of the Ackley shoulders on that case. My own .376/06IMP has a larger .460" shoulder with a .470" case diameter - .005" taper per side - function is perfect. It shows what can be done to the '06 case. The case capacity of the .400 Whelen should be about 80gr., 2 gr. more than my .375's case at 78gr. Varying case brand can increase or decrease this measurement by up to a few grains.

--------------------
Daryl

Anonymous
Unregistered

xjKYgMPRkpPS *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Pivi]
      #119454 - 25/11/08 06:32 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: xjKYgMPRkpPS [Re: Anonymous]
      #119460 - 25/11/08 07:44 AM

I've no idea what that link is - it could be malicious and I wouldn't take the risk of clicking on it. The poster is unregistered and the link looks dodgy to me.
Can't see any way of alerting moderators to check it out...

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: xjKYgMPRkpPS [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #119462 - 25/11/08 09:02 AM

In the posted message window at the bottom you will see Post Extras: follow by four Icons. left to right the icons are PRINT, REMIND ME, NOTIFY MODERATOR, and EMAIL POST.

I clicked the Notify Moderator Icon for you.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Deleted post and Anonymous postings [Re: DoubleD]
      #119473 - 25/11/08 12:45 PM

This forum was setup accidently allowing unregistered members to post. This has been corrected. Only members can post. You must be logged in to post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #119500 - 26/11/08 04:50 AM

Double D,

Thanks for calling my attention to Michael Petrov's article. I have subscribed to PS for many years and must have read it when it first came out, but didn't really register on the implications. After reading the article, I measured some fired cases from my .400 Whelen and was relieved to find that the shoulders measured roughtly .453", not .458", but certainly enough to reliably headspace on. My rifle was chambered using a reamer made by the late "Red" Eliot, who would certainly have used the correct dimensions when grinding his reamer.

My experience with headspace problems in the .400 Whelen is confined to the use of reduced loads and cast bullets. There is something about the reduced loads which seems to create excessive headspace in the cartridges, so I have avoided using them. I don't know if the firing pin blow pushes the case slightly forward in the chamber and then the low pressure is insufficient to push the base of the cartridge firmly against the face of the bolt, in effect moving the shoulder to the rear, but whatever it is, cases previously fired with reduced loads tend to produce misfires, due to insufficient primer indentation. Not a dangerous situation in itself, but annoying and possibly life threatening if it happens in the face of something trying to take a bite out of you.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: xausa]
      #119503 - 26/11/08 05:04 AM

Exausa - your chamber is closer to the standard IMP chamber, which is normally .454" My barrel maker here made me a .375/06IMP with a shoudler of .460" and base of .470". .005" taper per side garantees perfect extraction and excellent pressure containment while giving an even larger shoudler for headspace.

The original .400 Whelen had a smaller shoulder - slightly larger, I think, than the normal .441" shoulder of the '06, but not by much. This was why so many hd difficulty, either real or imagined about it's headspace.

--------------------
Daryl

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: new entry..looking for wildcats [Re: DarylS]
      #119508 - 26/11/08 06:35 AM

According to the Michael Petrov article cited above, the original shoulder diameter for the .400 Whelen was .458", which is what I was comparing my fired cases with. Cartridges of the World gives .462" as the correct dimension of shoulder diameter(no citation).

The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions lists the cartridge as "Rimless straight"(!)with no shoulder diameter given, referencing Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading (p.398). Sharpe quotes Colonel Whelen as being "lukewarm" about the cartridge and describing it as difficult to handload for because of headspace problems caused by the "faint indication of a neck"(!!).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com