Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Laptops Overseas

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

General >> Help desk - IT tips, queries & info

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Laptops Overseas
      #104722 - 11/05/08 10:31 AM

Ok, be patient, you are dealing with the I.T. challenged......

I'm thinking of taking a laptop from Oz to RSA for email and storage of video, music and for the kids to watch DVD's.

What do I have to look for in buying a laptop ? I'm most concerned about powering the thing. I know I will need a plug adaptor and also a 12V invertor for use in the car which I have.

Do I need to watch out for anything else ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Laptops Overseas [Re: tophet1]
      #104726 - 11/05/08 11:48 AM

Check out this search result. You might need to change some of the words if it does not work the first time.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&am...op"&spell=1

This one http://laptop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/32?osCsid=b4adeb1d49d7928679893328c508d971 is only $500 & has a 2.4 Khz processor (fast processing) but has only a 40 gig hard drive (storage capacity). I would suggest that you go for a fast processor speed & at least 120 gig hard drive. You should some thing good for less than $1000. Acer, Asus, etc are proven quality brands. You can run into a trap with some other barnds like Dell etc. as they have a lower end model that is not as good.

Good luck on your trip & keep safe. Good hunting!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #104733 - 11/05/08 02:31 PM

Quote:

I'm most concerned about powering the thing. I know I will need a plug adaptor and also a 12V invertor for use in the car which I have.

If powering from the mains South Africa will also supply 240 volts so some adaptor might be needed for that.

With playing movies from the laptop, some laptops might be coded for a particular country eg USA, and some DVD software will be coded to a particular country/zone as well. Some software will allow say 5 zone changes until it is set. Probably ways around this sort of thing though. Relevant if you intend to buy some DVDs in South Africa as well which is a different zone from the USA. Thankfully most hunting DVDs are not zone coded. I forget which numbers are which.

PAL vs NTSC playback formats. Your DVD should be able to play both. USA is NTSC, most of the world is PAL.

I'm not up to date with what features to look for in a laptop so can't help there.

If you have a wireless internet modem (eg a mobile phone type connection) for your laptop, it may be able to be used in South Africa as well. Check with your provider.

A laptop for travelling? My main consideration would be thin, but robust, and light in weight!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #104753 - 11/05/08 11:36 PM

I don't know plug configuration for Australia but assume most likely will be Euruopean. For power look for a multivoltage computer that works on 110/250 volt 50/60 cycle.

When you get to SA go to a Hypermart and pick up the wall adapters for pluging european plugs into the SA outlets.

Lots of combinations.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Laptops Overseas [Re: DoubleD]
      #104758 - 12/05/08 12:13 AM

South Africa if I remember has its own type of plugs. Possibly two - I forget? In Zimbabwe you get both the South Africa type and also can get one of the two British types. "Universal" type sockets can also sometimes be found in bathrooms for shavers etc and take American, Australian and ??? 2 plug type connections.

I remember one hotel had dual South African and American sockets.

I usually carry several types. Just in case.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Laptops Overseas [Re: NitroX]
      #104805 - 12/05/08 06:05 AM

Quote:

South Africa if I remember has its own type of plugs. Possibly two - I forget? In Zimbabwe you get both the South Africa type and also can get one of the two British types. "Universal" type sockets can also sometimes be found in bathrooms for shavers etc and take American, Australian and ??? 2 plug type connections.

I remember one hotel had dual South African and American sockets.

I usually carry several types. Just in case.

I believe you are correct on the adapters---you made me laugh as I read this--my wife and I were staying in a smaller motel in Austria some time ago--she plugged in her "American Style Hair Blower"--shut the entire motel down including the restaurant...they were NOT impressed..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com