Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: portable standing rifle rest?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
portable standing rifle rest?
      #104498 - 08/05/08 08:02 AM

Any ideas for something that doesn't weigh too much and is solid enough to be a good support? I need to do some load testing this weekend and don't have a range at home, so its off to the public land with my Super magnum and some test loads. I'd rather it be something I can continue to use in the future. Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: bouldersmith]
      #104505 - 08/05/08 09:28 AM

Try the Long Grass shooting sticks... it has been mentioned else where about making them but for a $100 investment all the work is done and you have a set ready for Africa that's what I have done and they should arrive this week in Australia. Good Shooting. www.long-grass.com

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #104509 - 08/05/08 10:25 AM

How about cementing 4x4 treated fencepost at your shootin spot. Nail a couple blocks on the side of it at the right height and with a pad on the blocks, have at it. Who would care? Hang some surveyors tape on the thing and everybody will think it belongs there.

I never carry an appendage like shooting sticks because, well, I would have to carry an appendage like shooting sticks. We do all our shooting {except for initial zeroing} from sitting, elbows-on-knees, for accuracy. Field positions do frequently result in different poi than bench shooting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #104512 - 08/05/08 11:52 AM

Quote:

How about cementing 4x4 treated fencepost at your shootin spot. Nail a couple blocks on the side of it at the right height and with a pad on the blocks, have at it. Who would care? Hang some surveyors tape on the thing and everybody will think it belongs there.

How is that PORTABLE and a lot of experienced African hunters including most PH'S swear by them because of thorns etc !!

--------------------

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #104514 - 08/05/08 12:59 PM

I think I have it worked out. I bought 2 A shaped ladders with a top "shelf" height of 5'5". I'm 6'2" so a small roller type adjustable rest should get me just about right. This gun kicks like a mule from the reports that those have shot them give. &35 gr bullet at 1500fps out of a 8lb gun...it should be exciting to say the least. Range reports after the weekend.
Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

9.3x57
.450 member

#104516 - 08/05/08 01:23 PM

Sounded like he needed a rest to use at his shooting spot, not a rest he would carry with him hunting, a more or less permananet deal. I thought he only needed to move it because he didn't own the land it was one.

Hey, I tried!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#104522 - 08/05/08 02:11 PM

Agree.... That's what we all try to do....help another hunter / shooter with a problem. Cheers

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #104523 - 08/05/08 02:12 PM

Steve,

I use a heavy camera tripod. I adapted a metal tray to fit the cammed quick release attachment. It is pretty light weight but is easily height adjustable. The tray accommodates a couple of bags. Certainly improved my groups vs offhand. I want to build a heavier rest that you can really lean into but it wouldn't be as portable. I might try and make one out of heavy pvc pipe.

Edited by gatsby (08/05/08 02:15 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: gatsby]
      #104544 - 08/05/08 10:40 PM

There are several long posts on here somewhere about shooting sticks. If that's what he's looking for. Boulder, do a search and I think you will come up with tons of good posts.

Chapuis, I totally misunderstood the question. Also, I wasn't condemning them at all, merely stating that if he is simply wanting to test rifles OFF the bench {which is what I thought incorrectly was going on}, the sitting position is very accurate and it does not introduce
"bench harmonics" that screw up the zero of some rifles when they are thereafter shot from field positions.

Regardless, there is no way I could ever use sticks except on a range as in the field I'd have to carry them all by my lonesome self, hunting alone as I do in heavily-timbered, mountainous country, with no one to pack anything around but me, and such appendages like sticks would be dumped at the earliest convenience, such as at the from door of the house as I head out...

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #104552 - 08/05/08 11:27 PM

Quote:

Regardless, there is no way I could ever use sticks except on a range as in the field I'd have to carry them all by my lonesome self, hunting alone as I do in heavily-timbered, mountainous country, with no one to pack anything around but me, and such appendages like sticks would be dumped at the earliest convenience, such as at the from door of the house as I head out...

93x57
you need to look at the sticks as those sold by LONG GRASS or any of the others that are callapsable..as in the Long Grass Sticks--they pull apart to 3 pieces each--are very light and very convenient to use ---properly done you wouldn't even know they are there...

As for a portable rest--the little portable a-shaped ladders should work fine-The Little Giants" as an example---at our range--have a verticle carpet toped area that almost looks like a preachers podium..works well for doubles but just as solid off of the sticks myself...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: Ripp]
      #104555 - 08/05/08 11:43 PM

Hi,
Reserching LONG GRASS site I found and interesting link with an interesting video (the lower one).
Look at the end when Mr Makris shoot a leopard with a scoped double rifle from sticks.
I alway have problems shooting from any rest, some day I will found why. LOL.

Martin

Edited by beleg2 (08/05/08 11:44 PM)

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #104558 - 09/05/08 12:09 AM

Hi!

I made myself a stick with 3 peaces of 25x35mm square ribs and put a screw tru two of them 15 cm down.
The third i cut to the length of the screw and fitted with a hinge. The hinge only sitts with one screw in the pair and this way they collaps into a streight peace. Looks like hell but it only took 5 minutes to build (if you hawe some ribs a hinge and a screwdriver and some screws).

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: 450_366]
      #104563 - 09/05/08 12:45 AM

Quote:

Hi!

I made myself a stick with 3 peaces of 25x35mm square ribs and put a screw tru two of them 15 cm down.
The third i cut to the length of the screw and fitted with a hinge. The hinge only sitts with one screw in the pair and this way they collaps into a streight peace. Looks like hell but it only took 5 minutes to build (if you hawe some ribs a hinge and a screwdriver and some screws).

Could you please post a photo of the sticks. They sound interesting for use on the range at random distances.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

450_366
.400 member

Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #104564 - 09/05/08 12:53 AM

Quote:

Could you please post a photo of the sticks. They sound interesting for use on the range at random distances.

Yes i will do so, on the discription i made of them its hard to say how they look. They dont look bought thats for sure, so no comment on that when i post them please.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

#104566 - 09/05/08 01:12 AM

RIPP:

I think these must be the ones you have mentioned before?

They sound interesting.

My problem is that the last time I had a chance at a shot from standing that would have allowed time to do any setup of sticks, etc, was, well, never, that I can remember. Here, the timber is so thick that when a shot is taken from standing it is inevitably one demanding speed on a moving or soon-to-move critter.

I can imagine a situation where standing would be necessary and time adequate to set up the sticks, but in reality I don't have many/any scenarios where that occurs here. I have hunted in areas where such tools would be of great assistance, but not really here too much. If standing is not necessary due to ground cover, I sit, elbows on knees. It is my favorite position, one I practice a lot at and we use it all year, during varmint season like now, on targets, sighting in rifles, bear, deer, elk season etc.

In more open country I can see where sticks would be very helpful, and it appears they are assumed and essential gear in Africa these days.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #104569 - 09/05/08 01:19 AM

For accurate range shooting I find FIELD shooting sticks lacking as there is no support for your right elbow/arm and also for your left elbow/arm. Creates wobble which will affect groups. At least for me. A good standing rest should support these as well as the bottom of the hand holding the forend of the double.

Any agree or disagree?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450_366
.400 member

Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #104581 - 09/05/08 04:05 AM

As promised here are som pictures of my sticks shown from the backside. Yeah they are ugly but they did the trick.

--------------------
Andreas

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #104587 - 09/05/08 06:32 AM

AGREE-- I misunderstood your previous post somewhat---sorry...

I agree--here in MT I don't use them at all and quite frankly, usually the terrain, ie; trees, boulders, etc provide a very useable rest...

As to Africa---the sticks have worked well for me on when needed..but there as well..I have been able to use terrain or whatever and for closer shots quite frankly have shot off-hand...so far so good...

heading off soon...see how that goes..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: Ripp]
      #104594 - 09/05/08 07:03 AM

how about using one of these:

im about to build me a new one, so i will take some pictures then and post them.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (10/05/08 12:58 AM)

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: peter]
      #104600 - 09/05/08 08:28 AM

Hi,
I have use sticks some time ago while guiding in a little hunting range.
Sometime we have to shot on long grass and it works just fine as I take the sitcks and the hunter the rifle.
I made then with iron tubes used for electricity (to guide the wires in the walls). It is very light weight and cost almost nothing.
Thanks
Martin

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: beleg2]
      #104627 - 09/05/08 08:22 PM

Ripp, 9-3x57
I agree. Sticks are definitely useful, but I'm not a fan and prefer to use terrain, trees, or suitable shooting body position. Even Boddington has written numerous times about missed shots and shot opportunities due to PH insistence on shooting off sticks. I dislike being told what to do, but relish well meaning advice... I don't carry sticks, but use them (or not) if they are available.
Regarding the original post - I reckon Peter's solution may be the best, unless you have a truck and can carry a heavy wooden standing rest such as those gunmakers use for regulating DRs...
Ripp - good hunting on your trip!

450_366
.400 member

Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: peter]
      #104657 - 10/05/08 04:55 AM

Quote:

how about using one of these:

im about to build me a new one, so i will take some pictures then and post them.

best regards

peter

Looks perfect and easy to carry, also i like shooting standing as recoil isnt a friend of mine.
But would it work for a double? Im always told that a double rifle only should rest in your hands othervise the regulation of it would be disturbed. Not sure of this of course so please some advise
as the shooting realy gets easyer with proper support.

--------------------
Andreas

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #104962 - 13/05/08 03:03 PM

I took a bar clamp with long tangs and slid a piece of pipe insulation over the pipe to take to a friends farm. It's just a makeshift operation to get by. It really depends on how much shooting you're going to do, you could make a rig like the one in the second picture and instead of bolting it on just use some big clamps to keep it portable. Then you could just clamp it to the shed and shoot.

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
Re: portable standing rifle rest? [Re: dale]
      #106343 - 30/05/08 10:35 AM

Before I went to Africa, I asked the PH what type of sticks he used, he said 3 sticks.

I bought three bamboo fishing poles and cut them and made a tripod. They are very light and very strong. I took a vacuum cleaner drive belt (round) and put them together with the round rubber belt. I then took some pipe insulation and put in the V. The V was made by cutting one stick shorter then the other 2.

I shoot my DR from the sticks all the time. Very good and light and sturdy. When shooting my DR, i rest my hand in the V. When shoting a bolt action rifle, I just rest the rifle in the V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1063

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com