Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Coyote hunting question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Coyote hunting question
      #104179 - 04/05/08 01:03 AM

A friend introduced me to a furrier who makes coats out of pelts that clients give him. I understand that it takes about 10 coyote pelts to make a coat and also that they have to be shot in the winter for the hair to stay on. In preparing for this (I live in the Communist dictature of Crook County Ill-annoy) I would have to use a muzzleloader and practice hard for the next six or so months to try and get a coat for my mother next year.

I have never hunted coyote and will have to practice with calls etc and would appreciate any advice that experienced members here have for me. Thanks in advance and best wishes!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Coyote hunting question [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #104184 - 04/05/08 02:39 AM

Mehul - find out if the primary coyote feed in your area is rabbits or hares. The appropriate call for your area will work better. Around here, for expample, we have only snowshoe hares, so rabbit calls (squeelers) work poorly incomparrison. Hares = short ears, rabbits = long ears.
: If you can use electronic calls, they're worth their weight in gold. I know guys who shoot 4 to 15 coyotes a day in desert areas using electronic calls and wouldn't think of using a mouth-blown call. Fox Pro seems to get the nod more times than not. With the electronic calls, you can add in fawn bleets same as with mouth calls. The "Deer Stopper" & "Deer Talk" on the same call, is a good one for those.
: With electronic calls, be prepared for fast close shooting.
: You may also get other predetors coming in to most calls, if they live in the area.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Coyote hunting question [Re: DarylS]
      #104185 - 04/05/08 02:43 AM

One trick that's useful in some areas is to hut within 1/2 mile of a landfill.
Some places it's not legal, but in others it is. Coyotes will scavenge as well as hunt, and sometimes the dump is a great draw for them.

Edited by szihn (04/05/08 02:48 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #104186 - 04/05/08 02:44 AM

Mehul, I lived for a time in St Charles, IL and I know you have yotes around there and elsewhere throughout IL. Flatland farm country yotes get pretty big, substantially bigger than the things we have here.

I'm no expert, as anymore I mostly kill them just for sport and the warm fuzzy feeling I get from knocking off a predator. But we do hunt them and I have shot them in Kentucky, Washington and here in Idaho.

Here's pretty much what I know:

Prime pelt season varies. Make sure to ask your furrier when he quits taking them. Of course, if you are giving him pelts for your own coat you can decide what quality/condition you will accept. Here for instance, we cannot sell any local yotes much after the end of December, sometimes they won't take them after mid December due to rubbing and hair damage caused by snow and brush rubbing. Our color pattern is undesireable to the buyers, also.

In open country where coyotes are plentiful and haven't been shot at much, they are amazingly easy to call in. Where there is much hunting pressure and in timber, they can be VERY hard to come in to a call or if they do come in they are very tough to see as they will not break cover.

Don't worry about using a smokepole. I use a shotgun from time to time and depending on the setup, your gun will not be a hindrance at all. In fact, a muzzleloading shotgun {double if legal} would be perfect, as blackpowder shotgun ballistics are no different than modern shotgun ballistics and a shotgun works quite well. Actually, can't you use a regular shotgun there?

Camoflage EVERYTHING. Your gun will stand out. Hand movement will give you away. If you are sitting on the ground, foot movement will blow the deal. Being of Norsk/Irish descent, my face sticks out like a beacon against bare ground, and I wear a mask. In snow conditions, wear white camo. I carry one of my homemade, light, bolo knives and I use that to make "blitz blinds" to call from, same as I do when timber-hunting deer.

WIND, WIND, WIND. Make sure you set up so the area you are calling is not also receiving your wind. Obviously you will have to judge which area is best likely to hold a yote.

Skinning: GO SLOW. Use the knife as little as possible and roll the skin in your fist as you take it off, or better yet, if you can, just bring the yote in to the furrier whole. That's what we do when we sell one, which isn't often anymore. Skin them as soon as you can, preferably in my opinion when they are warm as old yote is a pain in the butt to skin and they take a while.

When everything is right and you start calling {get a DVD for hints...it really isn't that hard...} you will be amazed when you see a coyote come RUNNING HARD into your call. I've hunted with guys who haven't done it before and they get totally flustered and blasted by an adrenaline rush seeing the thing come barreling in.

BUT, don't be too surprised if they outsmart you, too.

A few years ago I was calling in a logging site across the river from my place here, and I called for a time {I call and sit for at least 1/2 hour per spot} and when I got up...get up slowly and LOOK around you as you do as one might have snuck up on you and might be hanging in a tuft of grass or corn stubble}, I looked around and then took my normal circular walk around my spot. There, not 30 yards away was a logging slash pile, and there next to it, gleaming and steaming in the crisp morning air, was a pile of yote scat. The bugger slithered in, spotted me, left his calling card and split!! If that's not an "up yours" I don't know what is!!

Good luck!!

PS: I bet you'll want to mount the first one you kill, "just because".

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Coyote hunting question [Re: 9.3x57]
      #104191 - 04/05/08 05:00 AM

Mehul

Some items you may want to try in addition to what has already been mentinoned...if you are in an area that has quite a bit of calling--try using a call no one else is using..coyotes figure out a call rather quickly after they have been shot at a time or two...

Also another item that works really well for myself--I pickup a mechanical wagging tail--or even a fixed rabbit or whatever and have it set out in the open with the yardage known to where you are hiding..they are distracted long enough to get off the shot without being spotted...

Agree, as with ALL hunting..wind is everything...

If it is an area that is not hunted much--you should not have much of a problem getting them to come in..again use several calls...switch them out or mix them together..they all work well..

The first time I went to Alaska, I was told it is very hard to call in a wolf..first morning trying it I hammered an Alpha male at 230 yards with my 7-300..

Most of my shots on calling in coyotes are 40 yards or less on the first one--if more than one, I try to get the first one really close so I can get the others as they are heading out..

Good Luck

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Coyote hunting question [Re: DarylS]
      #104222 - 04/05/08 11:56 AM

Gentlemen,

I am grateful for all replies. I am not familiar with calling as that is not a technique that I have used before and I shall need to practice it. But it should be fun learning.

Daryl,

The coyotes here seem to get everything they could hunt. We have a lot of rabbits, deer and there used to be foxes just two years ago but the coyotes have killed all of them off. I shall ask around about what call to use. Thanks.

Steve,

I messed up again and did not call in time. I shall call tomorrow without fail. My apologies.

9ThreeXFifty7,

The numbers of coyotes has grown substantially in just the past two years. I almost hit one in Naperville some months ago while driving back late from a friend's place along with my wife. They get brazen sometimes and you know what Illannoy laws are like. (BTW I must credit Steve with this most appropriate term )

I live at a very short distance from the Methodist colony in Des Plaines and if you know the locality we have three forest preserves wrapping around the place on one side and the I-90 some distance away in another direction. We can't hunt around here, of course, as the area is heavily settled.

Yes, I do have a shotgun - a Browning A-5 - which I have only used on pheasants and duck and which I am scared to use slugs in because it is an old gun and in very nice shape. I have a cheap but highly accurate 50 cal ML and I thought I would use it because I just love muzzleloaders. Thanks for the tips on the pelts. I shall ask and find out exactly when I could use them.

Ripp,

Thanks for the advice and I shall try to find the wagging tails at Cabelas or Gander Mountain. Where I live we have coyotes but there is no hunting because it is strictly banned. But not too far from here hunting is possible and I shall ask at my gun club what people use. Thanks for the advice again.

Best wishes and good hunting to everyone. Thanks for all the tips and if you think of any more, they would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

#104297 - 05/05/08 09:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do have a shotgun - a Browning A-5 - which I have only used on pheasants and duck and which I am scared to use slugs in because it is an old gun and in very nice shape.

Just checking--but at the close ranges you can use buckshot for the coyotes quite effectively..

Use to use it on snowmobiles years ago and have used it flying...works quite well...

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Coyote hunting question [Re: Ripp]
      #104304 - 05/05/08 10:59 AM

RIPP:

What loads do you favor? I have used 3-inch magnum loads of Winchester #4 buck which patterns well from my gun and kills well also. For a 2 3/4" gun, the Remington 34 pellet No4 buffered load I used to have shot very well from my now-gone Beretta SXS.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
      #104320 - 05/05/08 05:21 PM

Mehul,

If ever you get a chance to come to Nevada let me know we have waaay too many of the little bastards around here and they are not too hard to come by. Might even get into a lion that time of year. Good luck and remember the only good coyote is a dead one.

Ripp
.577 member

#104333 - 05/05/08 10:28 PM

93X57

THE LAST ONES I USED WERE #4--ORDERED BY THE RANCHER WHO OWNED THE HELICOPTER...AND THEY WORKED AWESOME ACTUALLY...HAD A DEFINITE ROLL FACTOR...

RIPP

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2285

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com