Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 470 NE R15 and Foam Filler?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 470 NE R15 and Foam Filler? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #104115 - 02/05/08 08:31 PM

I have a leg in each camp here.

Firstly, I wouldn't dream of using fillers in full nitro loads, but then I don't use RE-powders ever. ADI (..or Hodgdon 'Extreme' powders) are bulky enough not to require wads or dacron. There is usually a small air-space, but load densities are probably in the order of 95%. No cause for concern there!

(Note exception: .450 #2 and .475 #2 probably benefit from filler, even with ADI/Hodgdon 'Extreme' powders)

Secondly, most 'nitro-for-black' loads DO need filler or wads, and I strongly prefer saddle-felt over foam or dacron/kapok, as others here must know by now. I have concerns over the longevity of polyurethane foam in the monsoon tropics where I live, as it breaks down to a crumbly or gooey mess in a couple of years when used as packing, or in boot-soles, luggage padding, etc. Wool felt, on the other hand, has been retrieved intact from pharoahs' tombs!

I have also found foam to be 'grippy' on the internal case walls, such that it can be compressed within the loaded cartridge by the powder charge if transported bullet-down, and then remain so, causing air-space between the powder-column and the compressed wad.

This is just my long-winded way of agreeing whole-heartedly with the posts of Bill and others:
Quote:

it is not the use of fillers that is dangerous but the improper use that is

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
      #104270 - 05/05/08 03:24 AM

Ken,
I do agree with you.

“ I still thinkif a manufacturer does not recommend something there is a reason.”

That reason in this case is “product liability” When a manufacturer ships loaded ammo he I pretty sure it won’t be altered before it is used and will function as he intended. With the use of components the manufacturer can’t be sure you will do it exactly as the recipe calls out. I believe in the case stated in this post and on other forums the individual did not use the foam fillers correctly. Better to error on the side of caution.
Bill

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: 470 NE R15 and Foam Filler? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #104300 - 05/05/08 10:34 AM

if you dont want to use the wads fine but dont use RL15.use imr4831 or what ever you want bot when that powder is lying in the case i hope you get uiform burn whaen you touch it odd or risk being eaten trampled gores or be excreated from the rectum of some predatore.i have never had a problem with filler.if you doubt them pay the 400 a box for ammo.no biggy right.then you will sleep better.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: 470 NE R15 and Foam Filler? [Re: bwananelson]
      #104432 - 07/05/08 10:19 AM

Quote:

if you dont want to use the wads fine but dont use RL15.use imr4831 or what ever you want bot when that powder is lying in the case i hope you get uiform burn whaen you touch it odd or risk being eaten trampled gores or be excreated from the rectum of some predatore.i have never had a problem with filler.if you doubt them pay the 400 a box for ammo.no biggy right.then you will sleep better.

I think you might find it beneficial to go back and read all my post on this thread .
Bill

wadeb
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Oregon, USA
      #104477 - 08/05/08 12:38 AM

I cut my own foam fillers and have for the last 6 years with no problems whatsoever.

wadeb

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9987

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com