Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Texraid
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: N. Kentucky, USA
Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal
      #104025 - 01/05/08 11:06 PM

How often do you see these?

Up for auction today...Not an aftermarket military conversion. Spoon bolt, schnabel pinned forearm, stippled receiver ring, stock marked Gwf over A inside a triangle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal [Re: Texraid]
      #104043 - 02/05/08 12:52 AM

If you are referring to the one on Auction Arms, I think I am correct in my belief that anything from a German arsenal is a military rifle. The expression "Gewehr 98" is a military term, not applied to civilian products. The spoon shaped bolt handle is a simple modification to perform on a military action.

This one has had more than its share of other modifications, starting with the big dovetail cut in the receiver ring and the three holes on the left side of the receiver for an unidentified side mount and the two holes in the receiver bridge, all of which detract from its value.

I don't see anything wrong with the stock, if you like Bavarian cheekpieces, which I do not, except that it appears to have been heavily refinished, which rounded off the checkering and filled it up with varnish, or whatever finish was used. The barrel has a distinctly military profile and the action screws have locking screws, which are rarely found on civilian actions. Other than that.....

I think you could do better for the price.

Texraid
.224 member

Re: Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal [Re: xausa]
      #104045 - 02/05/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

If you are referring to the one on Auction Arms, I think I am correct in my belief that anything from a German arsenal is a military rifle. The expression "Gewehr 98" is a military term, not applied to civilian products. The spoon shaped bolt handle is a simple modification to perform on a military action.

This one has had more than its share of other modifications, starting with the big dovetail cut in the receiver ring and the three holes on the left side of the receiver for an unidentified side mount and the two holes in the receiver bridge, all of which detract from its value.

I don't see anything wrong with the stock, if you like Bavarian cheekpieces, which I do not, except that it appears to have been heavily refinished, which rounded off the checkering and filled it up with varnish, or whatever finish was used. The barrel has a distinctly military profile and the action screws have locking screws, which are rarely found on civilian actions. Other than that.....

I think you could do better for the price.

I haven't seen the one on Auction Arms but from your description it doesn't sound very desirable. I did not post the pictures since it's an active auction here locally and didn't want to break any forum rules. Technically speaking, you're right that anything out of an arsenal is based on a military action. Amberg made sporting rifles after the Treaty of Versailles to re-coup some of their losses during the war.....as did Oberndorf and others. From what I can determine there are not many Amberg marked rifles out there. They have an estimate of $250-$350 on this one and it in 85-90% condition.

Texraid
.224 member

#104059 - 02/05/08 07:23 AM

Here's few pics.....it's not an active auction now.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #104061 - 02/05/08 08:02 AM

Does this mean it now belongs to you? If so, congratulations! If you want to know what I was talking about, look at the one on Auction Arms.(Item# 8125539)

Texraid
.224 member

Re: Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal [Re: xausa]
      #104066 - 02/05/08 08:29 AM

Yep,they've found a new home in my gun room..... from what I can find out the Amberg sporters are somewhat scarce, with probably only a few hundred made, if that. Mine is S/N 161 and the one on AA is 114. I got that and a C. E. Heinzelman that is marked S. Heim Nurnberg posted below. All I can find out they were in business from 1921-1928. I'm hoping someone has more info. on Heinzelman/Heim.
You're right the other one is somewhat disagreeable. Mine hasn't been messed with and several hundred $$$$$ less......someone should have been whipped for the extra embellishment on the the forearm and for wielding a drill.....or at least given better instruction. :-)

Edited by Texraid (02/05/08 02:08 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #104550 - 08/05/08 11:22 PM

Texraid,

Those are lovely rifles. The full stocked rifle looks particularly nice considering the longer than usual barrel for a full stocked gun.

Hope to see hunting pics here soon. You should get some lovely trophies with those rifles.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Texraid
.224 member

Re: Original Gew 98 sporting rifle from Amberg Arsenal [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #104586 - 09/05/08 06:19 AM

Thanks Mehul,

Here are some more detailed pictures of it. 8x60, made 9/28. I am trying to find out who actually made it. It had to have been made in Suhl. I'm also going to have to try to find the proper claw mounts.

Maybe someone here recognizes these marks other than the BUG proofs.

Edited by Texraid (09/05/08 06:20 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4917

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com