Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hoenig DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Hoenig DR
      #103929 - 30/04/08 11:02 PM

Although there have been a handful of posts here about the George Hoenig Rotary Round Action double rifles, there has been very little discussion of what I believe is a unique and fascinating double.

The aphorism that the more things change, the more they stay the same can be applied to most DRs. The basic design of the double, SXS or O/U has changed little since the late 1800s. While there have been some variations in types of locks, fasteners, and other details, the fundamental design has remained fairly static. From time to time, new lines of development emerge, such as the Fuchs double barrel bolt or a side by side falling block (wish that Martini & Hagn would build them again, but they are not planning on doing so according to my last discussion with Ralf) but those have been few and far between.

George Hoening's Rotary Round Action has been around for a few years and it is both unique and thoughtfully different. Built in very small numbers by a long-time engineer and gunsmith, the current delivery time is four years. Those that show up on the secondary market do not last long and sell for at or over replacement cost. Nonetheless, they remain little known outside of their owners.

The Hoenig Rotary Round Action is a unique O/U action, built by a perfectionist and, in fit, finish, and function, IMHO one of the best DRs extant. The photos below show the basic design and operation and need little further explanation.

Assembled and ready to shoot, the rifle looks little different from any other (admittedly rare though they are) round action O/U:

This photo shows the rifle broken down into its component parts:

A close up of the action shows the unique design:

You open the action by pulling forward and then twist the receiver over 90 degs to load. Drop in the rounds and return to vertical and pull back into battery. That is all it takes to get to here:

All of the DR versions I have viewed use George's simple and very functional scope mount. The receiver is grooved to accept the mount:

George also offers his doubles in shotgun form. I don't know if he will build an interchangeable set of barreled actions, but I see no reason why that would not be possible.

I own two of the DRs. A 9.3X74R (the largest caliber available on the 'normal' action, although I understand George is now building a larger action for the 375 H&H) and one in 17HMR, the smallest ever built and, as far as I know, his only rimfire DR.

Okay, why a 17 you ask? Why the hell not? I love small DRs. Can't get much smaller, and this little puppy will reach out to 100+yards and put two quick rounds into a single, slightly elongated hole. No noise, no recoil, two fast and inexpensive shots that do the job expected of them.

Sure, its a lot of money for a result I could get out of a sub-$500 bolt rifle, but who the hell said we buy a double to make sense? We buy it for fun, and this one is a hoot and a half.

The 9.3 has been used quite a bit my me since I got it a year ago. The rifle is fun just to assemble, the components fitting together like the proverbial Swiss watch. Now I KNOW I am going to get keel hauled for saying this, but I will put the fit and finish of the Hoenig up against any 'best gun' ever built. Period. This is a labor of love by a talented, brilliant, and perhaps obsessed individual. That shows in the way these rifles look and function. The gun is precise in function, the movement of the action in opening, rotating, and then returning to 'battery' done with no slop, just enough effort to tell you that each phase of loading is complete, and then back on target to offer accuracy that is like the build -- superb.

I have seen a few comments that the number of movements in operation is slower or more awkward than the conventional O/U. Perhaps it is given the extra step of the twist to the side to open the action. In real world terms, once you use it a few times, the extra time needed to shoot, open, empty, reload, and close the action is negligible. Would it make a difference for dangerous game use? Sure, but these rifles are not built in DG calibers nor intended for such use. Horses for courses.

So much for the discourse on what I believe is a unique DR. And one that I doubt will survive George when he finally decides to retire or go to that Big Machine Shop in the Sky. In any event, an original and one I feel should get the recognition it truly deserves. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (30/04/08 11:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Hoenig DR [Re: dnovo]
      #103944 - 01/05/08 01:07 AM

I have handled these rifles and not only is the workmanship marvelous, the engineering is extremely intriguing as well.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hoenig DR [Re: 500grains]
      #103947 - 01/05/08 02:34 AM

DNOVO- we use HMR's on gophers to 240 yards. Head shots are easy to 190-200, while chest shots do the trick a bit further out.
: Isn't the recoil something - barely a vibration in the cross hairs. Every shot is witnessed.
: Beautiful, compact rifles, those. Very ingeniously designed and made.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Hoenig DR [Re: DarylS]
      #103949 - 01/05/08 02:49 AM

The nice thing about an O/U is that going from point of regulation to 'out there' is simply a question of adjusting the scope for a longer point of impact for the top bbl. The lower bbl point of aim needs a bit of 'Kentucky windage' but it is still a hell of a lot easier than trying to adjust aim on a SXS. And yes, the 17HMR is a neat, quiet, and fun round. Never saw the point of the 17H2 however. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Hoenig DR [Re: DarylS]
      #103954 - 01/05/08 03:14 AM

Very nice. There was one of these in 9.3 sold at Bonhams a few years ago for a bargain compared to DR prices now. Any contact details or an indication of price range?
Agree wholeheartedly about the Martini & Hagn...

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #103957 - 01/05/08 03:53 AM

Met Mr.Hoenig once and have handled several of his marvelous rifles. I can truthfully say I have never seen a better executed piece of precision machining in a rifle. The fit ,finish and performance of both wood and metal is absolutely second to none in my humble estimation. The only thing that stopped me from buying one on the spot was the sad fact I did not have the $25,000 price at the time or since. It would be my perfect 9.3x74r.

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Hoenig DR [Re: zimhunter]
      #103963 - 01/05/08 05:12 AM

I believe current price is $27,500. for a DR. I do not have a current contact number for George. I will hunt around but the last person I knew who was handling his products other than by direct sales was Michael De Chevrieux at Finefirearms in Hailey Idaho. That's where the four year wait figure came from. I know Monty Whitley has a nice 9.3X74 listed at his site, but recall that he had some VERY strong interest being shown in that rifle from several customers when I spoke to him last week. (I snagged the photos from Monty's site, as my gun 9.3 is in the vault and he takes much better photos.) Great guns, and when George retires, the price will only go up. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #103972 - 01/05/08 11:56 AM

Dave,

What did Monty want for the one he had?

Beautiful rifles, but different!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

starwars
.275 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: California
      #103987 - 01/05/08 01:24 PM

George makes a fine gun with extreme detail, I have two bolt guns by him that are superb. Though this design has a few flaws in my opinion to be as useful as a typical designed double. The first being the rotary disengage -and re-engage- I found to be very awkward. The other thing I noticed was how the gun balanced in my hand, also awkward and heavy at the muzzle for the caliber. I never had a chance to shoot a double of his- I am sure they are accurate, but certainly expected of a gun over $20,000.00++ From what I understand very few were made due to little interest in the marketplace. Certainly a collectors item for a small group of folks that can appreciate the effort and very odd design. Just my thoughts.

--------------------
Richard

starwars
.275 member

#103994 - 01/05/08 01:38 PM

Quote:

(I snagged the photos from Monty's site, as my gun 9.3 is in the vault and he takes much better photos.) Dave

It would be nice to see your 9.3x74r to be able to compare these two doubles, and there specifications. These may be the only two made from what I know of this maker.

--------------------
Richard

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Hoenig DR [Re: CptCurl]
      #104019 - 01/05/08 10:34 PM

Quote:

Dave,

What did Monty want for the one he had?

Beautiful rifles, but different!

Curl

Don't recall, but when I spoke to him, he said he had a customer who wanted to look at it. I'd give him a buzz, you know the number. I'd also grab it if available, as with the current wait time, getting a new one will be problematical. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Hoenig DR [Re: starwars]
      #104020 - 01/05/08 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(I snagged the photos from Monty's site, as my gun 9.3 is in the vault and he takes much better photos.) Dave

It would be nice to see your 9.3x74r to be able to compare these two doubles, and there specifications. These may be the only two made from what I know of this maker.

I think you are wrong as to overall numbers. I have one in 9.3, Monty has another for sale, I saw one out at a range in Arizona last year. Monty has had at least one other for sale and I am aware of several shotguns.

Given the serial number ranges, I think we are not looking at a total build of two. Michael at Finefirearms my have a better 'count' as he was selling them at one point. My understanding is that George only makes a handful per year, but he has been at it long enough that he should be in double digits by now -- albeit not in the high double digits. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

starwars
.275 member

#104034 - 02/05/08 12:21 AM

Dave- I was talking about (2) 9.3's- not total build. Again, it would be nice to see yours to compare the two if you have one.

--------------------
Richard

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Hoenig DR [Re: starwars]
      #104044 - 02/05/08 01:27 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will be home this weekend -- on trial so staying near my office for the week -- and will get some photos done and posted. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com