Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wadcutter...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Cast Bullets

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Wadcutter...
      #101869 - 07/04/08 09:33 AM

Since Daryl has got me hooked on the concept of trying round balls in my old Ithaca, I ordered a custom round ball mold from Jeff Tanner in England. While I wait, I thought I'd assemble some stuff I might need along the way.

For felt wads, a wadcutter is needed, or might be. 12 gauge wadcutter tools are hard to find {source?} so I made one.

I bought a couple pipe nipples, ground a round edge and set them up for cutting wads. I attemted to harden them, but the metal does not appear to have enough carbon and they do not respond to a quench. Regardless, though somewhat soft, they work. Cheap and easy, for those of you who can't get wadcutters for twelve bore guns or don't want to pay the money for one if you find one. The pipe nipples are cheap, a couple bucks each and the caps are a buck or so.

Here's what they look like, along with a storebought .715 ball {that actually measured .719} that I used to slug my bore, and the old-timey Lee Loader I'll use to assemble the loads {along with a hammer I made in High School metal shop many years ago, recently rehafted in local serviceberry... }. Anyway, just a tip for you roundballers out there, for what it's worth.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Re: Wadcutter... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #103467 - 25/04/08 06:14 AM

Might try using some Casenit to harden the metal. It can generally be found at most mchine shop supply places. Somewhere (in my pile of books) I do have a recipe for home made case hardening compound. IIRC, it used bonemeal as the main ingredient with three or four other things (charcoal and such) to up the carbon content. I'll look around for it and post if I find it...

--------------------
MarinePMI

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Wadcutter... [Re: MarinePMI]
      #103491 - 25/04/08 12:17 PM

MPMI:

Thanks for the tip! That is a great idea. Would be worth getting the Casenite. I work leather, so come to think of it, I could pack it in leather scraps in my knife forge as an experiment in and of itself also.

Thanks!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1795

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com