Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Second Safari in Two Years!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
ArizonaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 08/03/07
Loc: Arizona
My Second Safari in Two Years!
      #103166 - 22/04/08 12:25 PM

Last year saw my wife and I enjoy our first hunting safari – to the Binga region of Zimbabwe – and it was such a success we recently committed to going again later this year. I can't wait!

Our 2007 hunt was seven days in September, with a focus on cape buffalo. After a lifetime of reading and dreaming, my ambition was to enjoy a 'classic' dangerous game safari: fair chase; tracking on foot; and using iron sights on a classic double – thereby requiring a close stalk. After several exciting days following behind our PH's incredible trackers as they cut spore, I was fortunate enough to take a beautiful 42.5" dagga boy at about 70+ meters. As an added bonus, I took a very nice impala ram two days later, as well. The buff was taken with my Merkel .470 NE double rifle (using 500 grain A-Frames and Woodleigh solids); the impala with my PH's .375 H&H shooting solids. Perhaps the best part was that my wife was right there every step of the hunt – her first hunt ever! She didn't know what to expect, and came away a convert having thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

This year we plan on another early September safari, only this time for 10-days. Last year's experience that time of year was great: no rain; reduced vegetation (giving you the ability to see see more of the landscape); fewer bugs (little more than mopane bees - no tsetse flies or mosquitos at all); and pleasant weather day and night. We were worried that being late in the season we might find game that was more skittish, and perhaps with the best trophies already taken. As it turned out, I managed the best buffalo of the year to date in that concession, so our worries were for naught.

While I still plan on another buffalo (addicting buggers, aren't they?) this year I've added some new critters to the wish list: hyena, warthog – and a zebra for my wife! Who'd have figured? Plus, as a bonus, we may have a tuskless elephant added to my license. We're headed to Matetsi Unit 4 - Geoff Broom's old camp – with Mark Dewit, our superb PH from last year. I'm told this is a great and much storied hunting area, and our hopes are that it's reputation remains intact.

Given the mixed bag of this year's hunt, I'm contemplating taking three rifles for the two of us: my Merkel .470 (for the elephant); a Whitworth .375 H&H 'tuned' bolt action; and, a .30-06 pre-'64 Winchester M70 (currently being nicely rebuilt by the folks at NECG). We could probably get by without the M70, but that's the rifle my wife will be most comfortable shooting. Both it and the Whitworth sport Schmidt & Bender scopes, along with express-style iron sites. When we're after her zebra, I'll back her up with the .375 H&H – and in return, she says she'll back me up on my buffalo!

As for ammunition, I'm planning on 500-grain Woodleigh solids for the .470; 300-grain Swift A-Frames, and A-Square 'Dead Tough Round Nose' and monolithic solids for the .375; and 180-grain Swift Sciroccos for the .30-06.

Now the long wait begins, and I'll be planning every detail a million times over the coming months. [We can only hope that Zim doesn't completely meltdown in the meantime, and indeed that the MDC succeeds in its efforts to unseat Mugabe. Absent that, one can easily forecast travel sanctions as a last resort by western powers, the US included.]

This is all still very new to us both, and any thoughts or recommendations any of you might have would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have any insights on the hunting in and around Matetsi Unit 4. Thanks!

Kim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: ArizonaHunter]
      #103169 - 22/04/08 12:56 PM

damn, your a lucky guy. keep us posted. pics would be nice. i will be in chewore with roger whittall safaris the first 10 days of september to hunt duggaboys and a nice warthog or two.

--------------------
One day at a time...

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #103170 - 22/04/08 12:56 PM

Your planned hunt sounds great.

The three rifle choice also sounds great.

But two questions:
1.) Why the Dead Tough solids rather than Woodleighs, GS Custom or even Federal's Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer?
2.) Why the 180gr Sirrocco rather than the the 180gr Swift A Frames?

BTW, do all you can to secure that tuskless quota. It is the funnest, most exciting hunt you can do!

I'm off to Zim on the 27th for a hunt focused on elephants. Can't wait either!

JPK

ArizonaHunter
.224 member

Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: JPK]
      #103177 - 22/04/08 01:31 PM

Quote:

But two questions:
1.) Why the Dead Tough solids rather than Woodleighs, GS Custom or even Federal's Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer?

To be honest, I chose the Dead Tough because of their availability and price. A respected PH I know told me they were a good choice, but now you have me wondering. Are they a mistake? As to the Sciroccos, I felt that their enhanced expansion over the A-Frames, coupled with minimally increased metal loss, were a good choice for zebra and, especially, other smaller plains game.

Kim

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #103191 - 22/04/08 05:28 PM

Time of year, Equipment, Safari Area and Game on Quota. All sounds good to me.
As JPK has said, Try hard to book that N/T Ele.
The Sciroccos should be fine but if I was to use them on the Zebra, I would try for just behind the shoulder bone.
Cheers,
Adam

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: ozhunter]
      #103192 - 22/04/08 05:54 PM

I read with interest your quote "When we're after her zebra, I'll back her up with the .375 H&H – and in return, she says she'll back me up on my buffalo!" who holds the greatest insurance policy?? Just joking, enjoy yourselves, you are a pair of lucky B'S (Australian)

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #103202 - 22/04/08 10:15 PM

don't take this the wrong way but i wouldn't expect to see elephant under every tree at unit 4.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #103204 - 22/04/08 10:29 PM

KPete

Do what you wish with the scirrocs but if it was me I would opt for the A-Frames--having used both --in Africa--the A-frame is by far a better choice and on the smaller game doesn't damage the hide as much as the scirrocos..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JPK
.375 member

#103259 - 23/04/08 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But two questions:

To be honest, I chose the Dead Tough because of their availability and price. A respected PH I know told me they were a good choice, but now you have me wondering. Are they a mistake? As to the Sciroccos, I felt that their enhanced expansion over the A-Frames, coupled with minimally increased metal loss, were a good choice for zebra and, especially, other smaller plains game.

Kim

Kim,

I'm sure the Dead Toughs will work fine, its just that you don't hear about them as a slection often. Advice from your PH is important and he won't want to steer you wrong.

Some guys love Sirroccos, some don't. I would opt for the A Frames or if I wanted a bit softer bullet, the Trophy Bonded, but that is just one opinion.

Best of luck!

JPK

ArizonaHunter
.224 member

Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: rscott]
      #103285 - 23/04/08 12:28 PM

Quote:

don't take this the wrong way but i wouldn't expect to see elephant under every tree at unit 4.

RScott:

That was one of my worries. Could you expand a little bit about what we can expect at Unit 4? Coincidentally, our PH just wrote us to say that tuskless elephants are on a 'first to reserve' basis, and that I should consider committing soon. That done, of course, and I'll be obligated to hunt and take one - and obviously the concession holder wants the best chance of receiving the much larger fees that an elephant would represent. What I don't want is to spend a lot of time chasing game where there is very little chance of an encounter. A reasonable amount of time, okay. But not a quixotic quest.

But frankly - on this trip anyway - I would be happy to supplement my buffalo with a hyena, warthog, and of course my wife's zebra first, and then see if there's time for the tuskless. On this safari the elephant is not the priority; maybe the next one. Plus, I know that to do an elephant hunt properly, you need more than just a few days - and after the buff, that's really all we'll have. Maybe if there were large and well dispersed herds to be found (like we encountered near Binga) I would have more confidence in booking the elephant now.

Based on your comment, though, maybe it would make sense to wait and see if a tuskless is available on our arrival; if so, we can set aside whatever time we may have at the end of the hunt and see what the fates might bring ...

Kim

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
      #103295 - 23/04/08 02:14 PM

kpete,
there simply are'nt that many elephant in unit 4. buffalo can be tough also. longtime friend and ph who's been hunting there and unit 6 last couple years says " my clients on unit 4, the buffalo they shot is the one they saw" unquote. you don't go to unit 4 and glass a whole bunch of buffalo and take your pick of the best.
i was up that way this past jan. and feb. but it was so wet our activities and travel were severely resricted. hadn't been there since 99.
i'm not a proponent of 'tuskless' elephant hunts. i've spent a fair amount of time hunting and viewing elephant and hunting other game where elephant abound and have never seen a tuskless elephant bull.
i've seen more trunkless elephants than tuskless ones and i say that literally! my opinion is there are far more PH's and outfitters in zimbabwe than there are good hunting areas, and they're trying to make a living at the elephants expence. the desire for 'forex' has trumped everything there including conservation and ethics. there are a whole lot of greedy and unscrupulous people, both white and black there, more than i can ever remember. i'm sure that comment will create some debate!
go for your buff. and zebra, etc. have fun and enjoy that and save your elephant dollars for a real trophy bull!

JPK
.375 member

Re: My Second Safari in Two Years! [Re: rscott]
      #103302 - 23/04/08 04:06 PM

Depending on where you are, there may be many tuskless or there may be few, this relative to the number of elephants. Some areas just have 'em and some have a lot fewer. For example, Chewore South has many, but Dande, which borders Chewore, has relatively few.

I know nothing about Metetsi Unit 4, so I'm no help there. Also, lelephants can be seasonal in some areas. There some seasons and not others, at least in the same numbers.

Adding your tuskless shouldn't commit you to either hunting it or taking it and paying the trophy fee. And the trophy fee shouldn't be much, in the area of ~$3k. Is your outfitter asking for a higher daily rate to reserve the tuskless quota?

Tuskless hunting is the most exciting hunt to me so I would be leaning that way, even on a slim possibility if it doesn't cost too much unless successful.

JPK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2620

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com