Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is it worth?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: What is it worth? [Re: bwanakim]
      #102844 - 19/04/08 06:08 AM

Quote:

I have most of Elmer's books, although reprints. From him, I learned that cats can cover your mouth while you are sleeping and suck your breath out, thus killing you. After reading that, we got rid of our cat.

Say Pard we have some bridges over the Thames coming up for sale next week, you interested, going cheep....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanakim
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: What is it worth? [Re: Bramble]
      #102845 - 19/04/08 06:18 AM

Since you took me seriously, I have some land in Florida I'd like to sell you. We'll look at it when the tide goes out. I'm afraid some people on this site are a little too literal. I enjoyed reading Elmer beginning in 1966, but in the end analysis, I'm reminded of Mencken's description of William Jennings Bryan. "He toiled hard and sweated freely, and was not debauched by the refinements of the toilet."

--------------------
bwanakim

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: What is it worth? [Re: bwanakim]
      #102858 - 19/04/08 07:59 AM

I am also a great fan of Elmers and have his books, but male possums do not fertilise the teats of female possums with their noses, sorry Elmer.

Sorry that I missed the humour in your post, it is so hard to tell sometimes. There are even people that write that the 45-70 is a decent cartridge, it took me a long time to get that one as well. :-)

Regards

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: What is it worth? [Re: DarylS]
      #102859 - 19/04/08 08:09 AM

What you describe about your contact with Elmer Keith is analogous to my feelings about John Buhmiller, with whom I corresponded voluminously and with whom I was privileged to spend an entire Game Coin convention in San Antonio in 1971. For John's account of the same conference see http://www.24hourcampfire.com/buhmiller.html

I had asked John for advice on lining up an African hunt, and he invited me to accompany him and his wife to SA, where I had the experience of meeting Charles Askins, Jr. and Jack and Eleanor O'Connor, none of whom seemed to know who John was, although their African hunting experience was dwarfed by John's. It was a real privilege, and I only regret that I never had the opportunity to own one of John's guns, although I have several rifles with barrels made by John.

I have no idea what became of John's rifles, but I am sure they were not works of art. Like many experimenters, he had little concern for the outward appearance of his rifles, but was primarily concerned with their performance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com