Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hello to all .....and a question.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Hello to all .....and a question.
      #10281 - 27/02/04 03:31 PM

Hi Guys

I've been lurking here and reading the discussions for at least a year and thought it was about time I got my finger out and registered. Thanks for having me. Now for my first question.....

I recently spoke with a guy who was the importer of Chapuis here in Australia for quite a few years. He gave it away several years ago because he reckoned the factory were difficult to deal with. Anyway I rang him to find out about light cal doubles and he basically did his best to talk me out of the idea - maintained that they were not particularly accurate and were very finicky and not worth the trouble. He had spent 5 years with a 7x65 and a 9.3x74, both scoped.

What experiences have you guys had with the lighter cal scoped doubles? And has anyone tried the Krieghoff with the adjustable wedge system? How did you find it?

Thanks for all your answers....hopefully!!

GG

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Hello to all .....and a question. [Re: GG375]
      #10283 - 27/02/04 03:59 PM

GG

I can't speak for the Chapuis but my 9.3x74 with a Zeiss scope is capable of 1.5" at 100 yards with and without the scope on. It is good to go as far as I can judge the trajectory.

I am playing with a 303 now but can't make any guesses other than to say that the lighter 180 Federals shoot about 4" at 100 yards so the heavier bullets (when I get some) should pull it all together.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #10286 - 27/02/04 04:51 PM

...my 9.3 ou came with factory targets showing 0.50" moa at 60 meters with fixed express sights...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #10287 - 27/02/04 04:58 PM

I've played with the Kreighoff in 375 FM just a little bit and found it quite accurate. But, if you are thinking of fooling around with the wedge...get ready foe some frustration early on. I would leave any adjustments to a gunsmith familiar with the beast.

I didn't like the muzzle heavy feel of the Kreighoff, nor the cocking arrangement. I like more traditional guns.

The Kreighoffs are good shooters, however.

This from only limited experience with the guns, and I bow to those with more exposure to them...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #10290 - 27/02/04 06:10 PM

Welcome GG375

Sorry I can't comment on light calibre or that much about heavy calibres for that matter.

But how is your heavy calibre going? How soon before you get to grasp it in your hands?

PS Alan Moon on these forums is doing a double rifle safari after bulls and boars. I think your .470 should join us. If you can. Any chance?

Failing that where are you based? Near Cairns or futher far far North? Any chance of fondling it, seeing I probably contributed a sling swivel or recoil pad to it I'll buy you a beer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #10306 - 28/02/04 03:41 AM

Have owned and shot extensively a Chapius 9.3 x 74 and a Geyger 8x60rs. Both were scoped and both were terribly accurate with the 8x60 good for 1" with right barrel usually less than 1". The 9.3 was the UGEX and wish I had it back. Recoil was fairly noticable. Only shot handloads in 8x60 as never had any factory. Cases made from 9.3 brass.I believe with factory cases it would have done even better.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #10311 - 28/02/04 04:53 AM

GG375
I have been shooting and hunting with a Chapuis 9,3x74R for about 5 years now. I can highly recommend one. My rifle has a 2.5x8 Leupold in QD mounts. I have killed game with several different factory and handloads. My farthest shot on game has been @ 110 yards. I have taken turkeys bobcat coyotes wild pigs deer and black bear.
Groups at 200 yards, shot off the roof of a vehicle [not benchrest] can be covered with the palm of my hand. For game out to 200 yards I perfer it over any bolt rifle.
I am going to Zimbabwe in June this year, taking my 450 No2 double and my Chapuis 9,3x74R. It is my favorite rifle under 40 cal.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Hello to all .....and a question. [Re: NE450No2]
      #10316 - 28/02/04 07:48 AM

Same results here with my Chapuis 9.3x74r. I get 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards.

However I will second your buddy's expereince with the folks at the factory. They are not very helpful...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com