Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Scope
      #102777 - 18/04/08 07:44 PM

Need a bit of help chaps. Off to Hollands on 2nd May to choose some wood but this is a question of scopes. The rifle, a double .375, will have the Holland QD mounts, it will be used all over the place for everything and anything. I have narrowed the scope choice down to either a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4 X 24 or a Swarovski Z6 1-6 X 24 EE. They are both priced about the same BUT the Swarovski has 4.72" of eye relief, the S&B 1" less so I am tending towards the Z6. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks, Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Scope [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #102780 - 18/04/08 08:35 PM

IMO easy one - Z6 all the way - 6x + field of wiev is also just incredibile on that one.

P.S. Ups - big FOW goes to basic model not EE - tho would still pick Z6 based on you preference to use it for every/anything - 6x might come in use.

Edited by 93mouse (18/04/08 09:06 PM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Scope [Re: 93mouse]
      #102782 - 18/04/08 08:55 PM

Hi Mike Bailey,

I can not afford a H&H but my Chapuis Double also in .375 has the S&B Zenith 1.1-4 x 24 with illuminated recticle, absolutely magic....you can't go wrong with an S&B.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Scope [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #102791 - 18/04/08 11:18 PM

I had that same question just recently and because S&B 1.1-4 doesn't come with the #4 reticle, I picked the Swarov

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Scope [Re: ozhunter]
      #102805 - 19/04/08 02:29 AM

93mouse, I am having trouble finding out the difference between the Z6 1-6 x24 EE and the plain 1-6 X 24 normal and the i version of both...according to the web page only the EE has the 4.72" eye relief..what is Ups and FOW ? best, Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

#102817 - 19/04/08 03:25 AM

Go with the Bender optics, it's what the maker would choose.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Scope [Re: ]
      #102908 - 19/04/08 02:57 PM

Mike,

I cannot think of a better or more useful rifle. Great choice. Here are my thoughts.

1. Eye relief: 3.7 inches with the S&B is definitely enough. The extended eye relief of the Swarovski is more than enough. Because H&H will be mounting the scope a measured distance from your eye, the Swarovski will require mounting 1" farther forward. The farther your eye is from the scope the more difficult it will be to avoid the effects of parallax. In other words, if your eye is closer to the scope it is easier to quickly position your eye in the optical center of the eyepiece. The more your eye is off the optical center of the scope, the greater the parallax. I think the standard Z6 without EE would be more desirable and a closer comparison with the S&B.

2. Weight and dimensions: It's pretty much a toss up. But because the Z6 1-6 X 24 EE is just as long as the S&B and has the extra eye relief the Swarovski ends up mounted 1" further forward than the S&B and therefore sticks forward 1" closer to the muzzle than the S&B would extend. They both weigh about the same but the Swarovski puts it's one pound 1" closer to the muzzle. I think the Swarovski will look out of place on the H&H double and I wonder what moving one pound 1" closer to the muzzle would do to the point of balance on a rifle that weighs less than 9.5 pounds. Again, I think the standard Z6 without EE would be more desirable and a closer comparison with the S&B.

3. Aesthetics: I think the Swarovski Z6 looks sleek and trim - a real plus. The S&B looks almost as sleek but you do have that third turret for the illuminated reticle. But if you want an illuminated reticle (the best way to go) then the S&B is the best looking scope because adding the illuminated reticle on the Swarovski (the "i" in Z6i) means you'll have that ugly weird bump on the back of the scope.

4. Reticle: Both come with reticle on the second focal plane, the best option. First focal plane is best if you use a miliradian dot (MILDOT) or ranging type reticle but you won't be.

5. Optics: You can't go wrong with either.

6. Other: The POSICON system on the S&B is a great feature. H&H can use it to make sure that your scope is precisely mounted. This way you will have full use of your scopes elevation range and it will ensure that you are viewing through the center of the optics as much as possible. The center of the lenses is the area of least distortion. Not required but a real advantage for the S&B.

7. Warranty: S&B is 30 years with the first 10 years free of charge. Swarovski is 10 years for the scope, with first 5 years cost free, and 2 years for reticle illumination. S&B warranty is about the best I know.

So what would I do? I would go with an illuminated S&B and choose the non-illuminated, standard eye relief Z6 as a close second.

Edited by Grenadier (19/04/08 03:48 PM)

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scope [Re: Grenadier]
      #102961 - 20/04/08 05:13 AM

I have both the Swarovski 1.1x24x30mm and the similar Schmidt & Bender. The S&B is destined to go onto my Abiatico & Salvinelli 375. The scope is going to Afica in a week, but on a bolt 375H&H since the double isn't ready.

The eye relief on either is more than sufficient for a 375H&H, and I've shot both quite a bit mounted on my 375H&H bolt rifle.

I give the nod on optics to S&B, but they are very close, and I could understand someone preferring either one, according to what they personally perceive looking through each.

The three turret design of the S&B is FAR superior to the screw on battery feature of the Swarovski. You simply cannot forget, misplace or loose your battery, as I have managed to do with the Swarovski. Reticle choice with the S&B is superior as well, with reticles available which are excellent and entirely suitable without the illumination, for use in the day or even for low loght, dusk and dawn, incase you manage to burn up your battery reserves - which is hard to do with the auto-off feature and with the spare battery accomodation under the windage turret cap.

So, I have both, and a hunt scheduled for next week which includes a leopard quota too. Which is going? The Schmidt & Bender! Which is staying home? The Swarovski.

JPK

Nighthawk
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: Belgium
Re: Scope [Re: JPK]
      #103195 - 22/04/08 08:04 PM

I have a Z6i mounted on my 9.3x74R rifle. The eye relief is more than enough and it has a wider field of view than the EE.

The Z6i does not use the older 'screw on battery feature'. There is a battery in the top turret, but it is only there to serve as a back up. The battery is installed in the eye piece.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scope [Re: Nighthawk]
      #103228 - 23/04/08 12:09 AM

The new Swarfs are sweet but I will take a S&B over them any day.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scope [Re: Nighthawk]
      #103257 - 23/04/08 04:50 AM

Quote:

I have a Z6i mounted on my 9.3x74R rifle. The eye relief is more than enough and it has a wider field of view than the EE.

The Z6i does not use the older 'screw on battery feature'. There is a battery in the top turret, but it is only there to serve as a back up. The battery is installed in the eye piece.

I took a look at the new Z6i. It is a vast improvement over the version with the screw on battery feature.

JPK

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #103260 - 23/04/08 05:18 AM

Quote:

93mouse,..what is Ups and FOW ? best, Mike

Excuse me - missed that one - typed in a hurry - ups was ment just as an expression mark and FOW is actualy FOV - field of view - sorry again.

DM
.300 member

Loc: mid west USA
Re: Scope [Re: 93mouse]
      #104075 - 02/05/08 10:42 AM

WOW, i'm shocked to see that neither one of those scopes have a 100% life time warr... For what they cost, they should!

DM

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Scope [Re: DM]
      #104105 - 02/05/08 06:37 PM

Don't see why they would need it. If it doesn't develop a fault in 30 years it isn't going to. Even if it did, they would still repair it. My car cost a hell of alot more and only has a 3 year warranty - actually more like 1 1/2 with the miles I do!

DM
.300 member

Loc: mid west USA
Re: Scope [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #104181 - 04/05/08 01:57 AM

Quote:

Don't see why they would need it. If it doesn't develop a fault in 30 years it isn't going to. Even if it did, they would still repair it. My car cost a hell of alot more and only has a 3 year warranty - actually more like 1 1/2 with the miles I do!

I've seen scopes loose there gas when they are old... Zeiss and Leupold and others will clean and fix that scope for free, even if you had it a very long time... I say a scope that cost like a S&B should have a life time warr...

Just because your car company screwed you, doesn't mean it's "ok" for the scope companys to do so too... lol

BTW, if you buy a Crysler, it comes with a lifetime power train warr...

DM

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2537

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com