Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Season's Change

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Season's Change
      #102383 - 13/04/08 01:47 PM

First day the Columbia ground squirrels showed up in force. Shot 11 with the Savage .223 off the Ranger deck and 4 with the Ruger 6.5 on Walkarounds. From here till August when they go under again, I'll be shooting them on my daily hikes. With pistol, rifle and shotgun. I especially like to use my deer/elk rifles for them as they are good practice.

Not the fast and furious shooting like I'm told prairie dog shooting is {I've never shot a prairie dog. We don't have them here}. These just come out occaisionally or just peek over their holes.

Here's what they look like:

The Ranger deck:

View from the deck gun:

A Walkaround with the Ruger 6.5:

One with the 6.5:

Winter just doesn't want to let go. Snow stuck...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Season's Change [Re: 9.3x57]
      #102384 - 13/04/08 01:52 PM

Aewsome, thanks for posting.

I wish I was in the other seat.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Season's Change [Re: 500Nitro]
      #102406 - 13/04/08 11:52 PM

Quote:

I wish I was in the other seat.

Me, too!

I bet you would have remembered the shovel! Took me a while to get unstuck using the Pulaski!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

9.3x57
.450 member

#102453 - 14/04/08 11:56 AM

Went out again today...

We've had two warm days in a row but are due to get cold and wet weather again soon. The squirrels will go underground somewhat if the weather turns too cold. All the ones we are shooting now are males. They break open the holes and come to the surface first. No females come out till later in the spring.

Anyway, 17 more in the bag so-to-speak.

My son shot 11 and I shot 6.

He used the beatup old Ruger 10/22 on his 11, topped with a Leupold 2x7 scope and I used the .223 and 6.5. I took an open area on the ranch we call "Zululand" due to the savanna-like mix of grass and thorn bushes where the wind was blowing hard and I had few shots as the critters were not very active. He went into my pine plantation and stalked them and saw lots more of them.

Here's the rifle he used. For stalking these things in the plantation it is a real killer:

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #102481 - 14/04/08 08:38 PM

Looks like fun! I would enjoy that sort of 'excersize', we don't get varmint colonies like that here in the east. Still got tons of snow but bare ground is showing and spring birds are returning. I know winter is over when the phoebe's come back, their calls are tropical sounding.

I put 34 eggs in the incubator for meat birds on Friday. Sugaring season is over as well.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Season's Change [Re: AspenHill]
      #102529 - 15/04/08 10:58 AM

We have flocks of robins that tell us the sun is on its way.

Eggs? We got our layer replacements a week ago, and they are chirping and pecking in a cage in the garage, hoping my Springer doesn't learn to pick the latch...

Wet and rainy today, and new snow up high. Wednesday is supposed to be warmer and sunnier so maybe I'll get out for some more of the little buggers.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #102560 - 16/04/08 01:07 AM

These columbia ground squirrels ran afoul of my .17 Ackley Hornet. As with most ground squirrels, they are canibals. These were all shot within a few inches of where they now lay, coming in to eat their bretheren.
: Around here, they don't surface until late April, early May. We're going to hold off shooting them this season until the hay comes off and the youngsters are about - early July. They go 'under' around mid to late August. Columbia ground squirrels are the largest of the 'gophers' but have the shortest time above ground of all the species.

: Here's my .17 HMR. It is built on a BSA Martini Cadet action, fairly plain walnut stock with a Green Mountain barrel of 18 1/8" length. Withthe 20X, it will hold 5 shots inside .375" to .4" at 100 meters off the bags regularly. We use the HMR's to a maximum range of 240 yards. Head and chest shots at 200 are fairly easy pickings for them. The centrefire .17's like the AH and AB are used for longer range shooting only to 450 yards.

This is my walk-about gun, a Ruger with plastci stock and lapped, steel Butler Creek barrel. It holds 1/2" and smaller at 50 yards off the bags with almost any High Vel. HP ammo and actually placed 2nd in a 50 yard BR contest with an agg. of .222" using some 'special' stuff.

: 9.3 - you've opened up a can of gophers here. Hope you don't mind the posts. now, doesn't your land look similar - eh?
; I hope this one isn't too distasteful. Here's looking at you, buddy.
;

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1860

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com