Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Most Desired African Game!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Most Desired African Game!!
      #100768 - 30/03/08 12:31 AM

I am curious and want to run a survey!!!

I we all were to save our $$ and hunt Africa, what top three animals would be our priorities??

I will exclude big Ele tuskers cause I know virtually All of us would like to have one and probably rank it number one!!!!

What other game and what priority appeals to hunters after a big Tusker to make your top three desired animals??

You may vote for TWO ANIMALS-methinks and assumes a big Tusker would then make this your top 3 favorite African animals!!
Favorite African Game??
You may choose 2
Buffalo
Rhino
Lion
Leopard
Hippo
Croc
Sable
Eland
Zebra
Kudu
Female Elephant
other

Votes accepted from (30/03/08 12:25 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #100775 - 30/03/08 01:24 AM

I went with Sable and Other. As much as I'd love to hunt Dangerous Game, I actually find plains game to be more appealing because of the sheer number of species and locations. The Sable in this case would be a Roosevelt's Sable in Tanzania and the Other would be Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia.

I'd almost rather replace the trophy elephant with any number of exotics - sitatunga, bongo, Kafue Lechwe etc.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: pinotguy]
      #100779 - 30/03/08 01:44 AM

I picked lion and bull elephant..as I feel lion hunting as we know it could be a thing of the past within 10 years or less..buffalo hunting is one of my favorites as well.

As to plains game--all time favorites are sable, nyala, roan, eland and gemsbok.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Ripp]
      #100788 - 30/03/08 03:16 AM

Top 3 favourite: (i.e. if I could hunt nothing else forever)
Buffalo or tuskless elephant
Kudu or Nyala
Impala or Bushbuck

Top 3 most desired: (i.e. tough hunts that I would love to experience at least once)
BIG Elephant - tracked for days on foot
Lord Derby Eland - likewise!!
Bongo - Rainforest!!

Edited by JabaliHunter (02/04/08 11:16 PM)

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #100796 - 30/03/08 03:33 AM

My top 3 includes the tusker plus buffalo & kudu.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: WyoJoe]
      #100808 - 30/03/08 06:23 AM

Here is a hunter that doesn`t rank bull elephants as number one. An OLD well-maned lion would be my dream trophy, but most propably this will always be just a dream, due to limited financial background.
Otherwise the buffalo is my favourite, as long as it is an old solitary bull.
Besides I love to hunt bushbuck, oryx and the very clever baboons.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Kalunga]
      #100846 - 30/03/08 12:06 PM

iam a poor man and get paid by the hour ,in 2009 i am going for a lion a female lion is all i can afford,then the next trip i would like a dry land hippo and a croc bigger than my alligator.the way leopard is going that sport is done same with lions sorry guys if you dont do it soon its over but if you have real deep pockets it may not be to late for you.i will hunt elephant also but it will be a cull or tuskless one,i have heard there is a place thet do a cull hunt you keep nothing of the animal but you can have repros done that will be ok for this poor boy .and of coarse i want the black bad ass buffalo.all with doubles no scopes,except the croc

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: bwananelson]
      #100850 - 30/03/08 01:27 PM

I am not keen on a tusker unless i can own a DR first! My first choice is a leopard followed by a Dugga boy bull buffalo. The third one is a difficult one - do I want to hunt an old male lion at 50 meters or do I wan to hunt a 60" kudu bull? Either one will keep me happy with great memories for the rest of my life.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #100859 - 30/03/08 03:54 PM

i do have 3 doubles i guess thats why i am poor

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #100861 - 30/03/08 04:55 PM

I would go for a big old maned lion followed by leopard and cape buffalo.As i have already done most of plainsgame my interest now lies in big game.Alas its now only a dream as it is to expensive.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: iqbal]
      #100862 - 30/03/08 05:33 PM

Naki, you hit the nail on the head I reckon. Very hard to decide between lion and kudu, but for me that was second choice to buffalo. I really enjoy hunting our local Asian water-buff, big old bulls walked-up on foot of course, and would love to compare them with Cape Buffalo.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Marrakai]
      #100868 - 30/03/08 08:48 PM

i chose buff and leopard, and would swap ele in a heartbeat for lion. maybe it will change when i go to africa later.

peter

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: peter]
      #100882 - 31/03/08 12:09 AM

nothing compares to bull elephant hunted in jess! also think eland is the most under rated of all. maybe someday get to hunt mtn. nyala
elephant
lord deby eland
mtn nyala

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: rscott]
      #100915 - 31/03/08 05:16 AM

I have been fortunate enough to sample hunting alot of the animals on your list, including bull elephant.

For sheer fun and excitement, I have to rate tuskless cow elephant hunting as tops. They are more alert and more aggressive than bulls and they deserve their reputation for trouble. As a bonus, they are relatively economical to hunt, prices competative with a buff hunt, sometimes even lower. I find no comparisson to the hunts with the tuskless tremendously more exciting and rewarding than the buff. I'll warn that tuskless hunting is very addicting and trying just once will leave you yearning for more. In fact all elephant hunting shares this addictiveness, but it worst with tuskless.

I've hunted lion and leopard but not yet successfully. So these were my choices. I understand that hippo on land can be an extremely exciting hunt, especially when you place yourself between the hippo and his water. I will be trying hippo on land in a month.

Leopard hunting is a game of patience and of wits at times. I do not really enjoy every moment and at times it can be boring but when you've got a cat feeding it is great, even when its a female or too young male. I would prefer to hunt leopard by tracking - available only at great costs in few locations - or with dogs, but as an extra to an elephant or buff hunt the method is pretty fixed and that is baiting.

Lion hunting is similar, though tracking lions is extremely exciting, even when the cat makes his escape. You are on pins and needles the entire time you are on tracks, waiting for a glimpse and not certain if he or she will be going or coming. Seeing a lion on bait is fantastic, even when it isn't the right lion. Lion close are remarkably large, even when you've seen dozens at a distance. Its a wake up when you see one close up.

In a month I will be in Zimbabwe again. I have quota for two trophy bull elephants and a tuskless as well as a leopard and a hippo which we plan to take on land.

I'll also have quota for a selection of "plains game" including a couple of hyhenas and bushbuck. Both of which I have killed before. Hyhena hunting is quite enjoyable and its cheap. Call it leopard hunting light. You will be in a blind overlooking bait early and late. Its quite enjoyable and seeing and hearing the bush come alive in the dawn and hearing the change of gaurd as the sun sets. Leopard light becuase it light on costs and also not as much attention to detail needed. I would recomend it to anyone, and especially to those who might find a leopard hunt a financial reach. The skins make nice rugs or perhaps a full body mount, the skulls are very impressive.

Bushbuck hunting can be great fun as well, especially when it takes form as a slow walk and stalk along a river (ussually dry or all but dry) in the evening. All kinds of game is spotted and since you are in stealth mode much can be approached quite closely. The whole gamut of plains game may be seen as well as elephants, buff, occasional hippo or croc near deeper permanent pools. Even if you never pull a trigger it is a great way to spend a late afternoon into dusk.

I've never hunted nyala, but they are a close cousin to bushbuck and I've seen them while stalking bushbuck, but never had quota, so I would rank nyala right up with bushbuck amoungst my favorites.

JPK

EDIT: I'll add for double rifle afficianados that my experience teaches me that an express sighted, big bore double rifle really is the ultimate weapon for elephant hunting, with no other alternative as perfect a choice.

For buff, a scoped rifle is a more forgiving choice, whether the action type is double or bolt or whatever. But you can be entirely successful with an open sighted double if you are willing to forgo some shots and work for your buff.

For hippo on land I've been told that the open sighted double is by far the best choice, as for elephant.

JPK

Edited by JPK (31/03/08 05:22 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: JPK]
      #100937 - 31/03/08 09:12 AM

JPK - interesting post. I was just thinking of starting a thread about tuskless cow hunts as you generally never hear much about them

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #100944 - 31/03/08 09:37 AM

Everyone who has done the "tuskless" seems to have the same sentiments..very exciting hunt--and yes it is a very affordable hunt--

If all works out--I have one booked for 2010 --one bull with 2 tuskless...hope Zim holds together that long..

Ripp

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #100950 - 31/03/08 10:27 AM

JPK - brilliant post. Thanks for sharing. More food for my dreams!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

rscott
.333 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #101014 - 31/03/08 11:14 PM

jpk, from the way you've described your upcoming trip, sounds as though you've bought a camp and quota in sapi or nykasanga?
i disagree on the tuskless hunts being as exciting as trophy bull. the anticipation of whats at the end of the tracks!!

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #101017 - 31/03/08 11:42 PM

Rscott,

Yes, I've bought a camp in Nyakasanga.

I love all elephant hunting, but I find then end game very much more exciting when hunting tuskless, even in the case of not finding a suitable ele. Mixing with the ussually larger cow or mixed herd is incredibly exciting to me, while the bull hunting I've done was, while exciting, less extreme in the final appraisal or approach, due in part I think from the smaller bull congregations, and also from the ussually much less aggresive nature of the bulls.

But it is a matter of degrees! And that is why I'm after two bulls this trip, with the tuskless quota just in case we get lucky early, so we have a good reason to keep walking and tracking!

JPK

rscott
.333 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: JPK]
      #101235 - 02/04/08 11:07 PM

jpk, good hunting!!

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #103043 - 21/04/08 01:32 PM

I think the potential danger of the buffalo and hippo draw me to choose these big boys. Of course I have watched the Mark Sullivan videos and have to admit, it looks like a hoot!

--------------------
One day at a time...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: bigmaxx]
      #248133 - 29/05/14 11:53 PM

BTTT for a new group of NE members.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: NitroX]
      #248135 - 30/05/14 12:15 AM

WOW--there is a blast from the past..wonder what ever happened to our old friend "HopDoc"?? He was an interesting fellow..

Ripp

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #248139 - 30/05/14 02:56 AM

Interesting to read, I go for Cape Buffalo and a male Lion.....

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Sville]
      #248143 - 30/05/14 03:47 AM

I would go with a nice Sable and then Cape Buffalo.
Funny thing, I was reading recently that the early hunters in Africa generally didn't think much of hunting Leopards but now they are pretty high up on the wishlist of the modern hunter.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19589

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com