Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting
      #100587 - 28/03/08 08:17 AM

This is one of my 1888 Sporters and action we had this last fall on wild Russian Boar in the hill country of Texas. This is I and my son with our Boar. We flushed them at the same time. He took his first shot and hit his, and the bushes erupted and out came my boar with tusks clashing and staring to charge out at about 30 paces. My load is a Hawk .318 220 grain bullet at about 2100 fps. The shot was made straight on as he came at us. The bullet took him in the lower jaw and travel back to hit the neck bones and then down into the front left leg. I thought he was done for and started to jack a .22 into my "Colt Woodsman", but he jumped up. I hit him again in the neck and down he went. One .22 behind the ear to finish. Quite a hair raising few minutes.
A nice job for a 100+ year old rifle. The rifle will easily hold 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 meters with the open sights.

Hard too see, but the tusks are long, thick and sharpened.

200 plus bound Boar.

My great son with his boar. Nice couple of neck shots with boar charging around all around!!
About to bring it to the cooler!

His admiring buddies giving him his desrved congrats!!

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WVFRED
.300 member

Reged: 17/01/05
Loc: Charleston WV
Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #100600 - 28/03/08 10:27 AM

I really like hunting with old classics like this.It seems like they make the hunt even more enjoyable....Well done

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: WVFRED]
      #100612 - 28/03/08 11:57 AM

88, great stuff!

This looks like a blast. Nothing beats hunting with the kids!!

I have never owned an 88 but I have picked up a couple and have always loved the concept of latching on to one of the old Haenel Mannlichers. The 88/Haenel/M-S actions are slick as butter.

88, was your 88 originally a commercially-made rifle or how did it come to be?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: 9.3x57]
      #100621 - 28/03/08 12:10 PM

I am not fully sure, but this is a very nicely done sporter. I assume this was built from an action. Tapered octagon barrel, Double set triggers, slight engraving. very good sights. I will try to take some good photos now and post the rifle without my "good looking" self in the photos.
I have a sister rifle by the same maker. I only know him by the style, engraving and the small initials under the barrel. The sister has no in line magazine. It has an "in the stock" magazine for three rounds, claw mounts and a "shotgun" style trigger guard. Both shoot very well. From the proofs, these look like they were built prior to 1910. They are proofed for Steel jacket bullets and 2.5 grms of a military flake powder. I shoot load equal to the old J bore 8mm military round and they regulate to the sights perfectly. The actions are slick as butter.
I have a short mannlicher carbine C. Schilling make that is equally as smooth. Same caliber.
Thanks the comments. I enjoyed being able to show some of my collection here. I finally figured out how!!

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #100625 - 28/03/08 12:25 PM

88, if I understand the way it all worked "back in the day" in Deutschland, actions were available from the military arsenals for commercial sale to guild makers. Isn't this correct? So some actions typically thought of as "military" were in fact never part of a military rifle.

I have seen pics of rifles with the "in the stock" mag. I always assumed they were Mauser magazines. Do they take Mannlicher clips? Do the clips fall out same as the longer mags? It is hard to imagine a better deer stalking rifle for the woods than a smooth bottom, 3-shot, Mannlicher-actioned 8mm.

If you want cheap bullets, one or maybe two dies from Lee would probably make good .318's from cheap .323 bullets. Probably one would do it, but two would makes sizing easy. The dies I have will size .375 bullets down to .366 for the 9.3 though i am waiting for a couple to adjust the bullets to my rifle grrove depth. Usually there is some springback so a .365 die makes a .366 bullet. I assume same would occur with the .318. Have you ever slugged the bores of your rifles?

And by the way, you have more pictures to post!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #100626 - 28/03/08 12:29 PM

Congratulations. A very good boar and a precious rifle.
Hunting with old rifles is an adventure but a charge......WWWOOOWWW!!
Where did you get this hat? I loved my Remington hat until I loose it.
Thanks
Martin

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: beleg2]
      #100631 - 28/03/08 01:10 PM

Martin:
Well, there was a lot of action going on at the time. We thought there was only one bore in the brush. When my son shot, SIX came out in different directions. My son went after his with the "guide", and I turn around to face this one coming my / our direction. If he is coming at me, it is a charge!! Who knows how far he would have come, but I didn't want to find out. He was a good one anyway.
Actually, that's my lucky hunting hat. My wonderful Chileana wife gave it to me. I gave my Father-in-law in Chile my Smith & Wesson Hat to wear once and he never gave it back. It is still in Chile!!

You are correct from what I have read. The actions were sold for gun making. This one I hunted with in the photos has the standard mannilicher clip loaded mag. There is a milled in trap door on this rifle that must be opened to drop the clip. IF there are still rounds, I can press the release in the trigger guard and all pops out the top through the receiver openning. The mag trap door is fitted almost seamlessly. It is spring loaded on a hing.
My other sister '88 has an integral mag well. It is straight line and requires no clip. It has milled spring retainers in the action that holds in the cartridge. Both are very light. The Sister rifle weights about 6lbs and the one I used on this hunt weighs about 6.5 lbs.
I will have Claw rings attached to the sister rifle this year and scope it. It will be a nice pair for any condition for deer, boar or any thin skinned game.
I have a CH/4D die to bring .323 to .318. I just like to use long round nose bullets, and can' find .323 RN except for 170 grain, or go woodleigh or Hawk.
The bores run large, as doe most military 1888 Commission rifles. They run about .320. This doesn't seem to affect accuracy, as these rifles shoot better than I can fold them even from a bench.
I agree with you, though about the bench shooting. I always hold the rifle in my hand under the forearm to simulate the hunting situation.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #100641 - 28/03/08 06:06 PM

Great stuff! Good to see the kids involved too.

Never really think of the 88 as a sporter, we don't see many in Australia. I have a Commission Rifle
converted to the S-bore (deepened rifling, spring-loaded retainers in the action-rails, notch in receiver-ring,
mag-floor cover etc), and love shooting it at the range, but need to reload as the mil-surp ammo
I have heaps of sometimes hang-fires.

Very under-rated cartridge for hunting large pigs and deer-sized game IMHO. I hunt with a mate who uses
the 8mm occasionally, to good effect on large Northern Territory boars!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: Marrakai]
      #100856 - 30/03/08 02:35 PM

Just how good can life get?

hunting with your son,
hog hunting period,
hunting with a classic sporter,
a woodsman on your side,
Those fine looking hogs are just a bonus,
the very best part is when you overhear your son telling
everyone in his own words about the hunt.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: 1888 Original Mauser Sporter 8X57J Hunting [Re: dale]
      #100898 - 31/03/08 03:25 AM

Dale:
Ditto. From the very first time we went out together, it has been a treasure. He now lives from Hunting trip to hunting trip regardless of the outcome. He even won an honor at school with his 4th grade story of his first deer hunt. He called it "My Proudest Moment". It was about he and I and the experience and not the actual taking of the deer. Though, at 200 paces, he made a very nice one shot neck shot and was the excitement of the camp! Who's proudest moment do you think it truely was?

Oh, and the wodsman has been on my side since 1971 whe I bought used from an old time woodsman humself. Both well used but still in great shape!

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #100901 - 31/03/08 03:54 AM

A lovely rifle, no doubt, but, even lovelier is the picture of the young man with his trophy! The best rifles in the world cannot make for the feelings you must get from your son's hunt.

Congratulations and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #101065 - 01/04/08 09:19 AM

A great story and an even better experience (for both of you!)! Neat rifle, too. Hope to see pics of both soon!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4050

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com