Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Coverting FN Mauser 98

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Coverting FN Mauser 98
      #100264 - 25/03/08 02:29 PM

I have a Columbian FN Mauser 98 Carbine in good to excellent condition (the one with the 18.5" barrel) in .30-06 and am researching the possibilities of having it customised to .404 Jeffery.

I have found a bespoke gunsmith 9 hours north of here to do the work (They are a bit thin on the ground here in OZ) and I am now gathering information/educating myself about Mauser customization. I also realise it would probably be better to just import a CZ in .404J but hey, what fun is that ? It will be a hard wearing, 'drop in the mud' rifle.

I have four questions.

1) Is there any good reference material to help here ? (I'm old school, prefer books..)

2) I have learnt that the rear of the action has to be opened up and the feed rails modified. Does the magazine follower and box HAVE to be modified ? I realise that to fit more rounds into the magazine it does, but will the standard box, if of sufficient length, be ok for 2-3 rounds ?

3) Is this action suitable for customisation for what I want ? I know Mauser actions vary a lot and FN actions are more suitable.

4) Are there good and bad FN actions?

I'd appreciate any info from those more experienced than myself.

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Coverting FN Mauser 98 [Re: tophet1]
      #100268 - 25/03/08 06:04 PM

I have had two of the FN Mauser rifles in .30/06 and have been very happy with them, especially the clean walnut stocks, which can be sculptured into nice sporters with cheek pieces and handsome pistol grips. One of my rifles was very accurate, the other less so and has 12 thou headspace, so that I don't reload for it. Maybe it's too late to go cutting the remaining ones up now.
Cheers
- Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1887

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com