Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
My 9.3 Mountain Rifle
      #100052 - 23/03/08 11:19 AM

Yup, here it is.

One of my favorites, a 1942-built HVA 46 in 9.3x57. I started with a barrelled action and stocked it with an old beatup Model 46 stock from off a worn out 6.5x55 and then freefloated the barrel, epoxy bedded the action, reshaped the stock to eliminate the castoff and to allow left shoulder shooting, crispened up the trigger and most recently had a Limbsaver recoil pad added. Weight now is about 6 lbs. It is a cobblejob extraordinaire. Since the original 6.5 had a side mount, there was a gaping slot in the stock next to the action so I epoxied in two Pop-Sickle Sticks to take up the room.

By now Dons is cringing and probably throwing things and Nitro is preparing to notify me that my posting priviledges have been rescinded and I am banned from the Forum...

But honest, I like it. Very light, very handy. Nice to carry in the mountains while after bear.

Anyway, my favorite load is the 285 grain Prvi Partizan bullet over a charge of Accurate 2230C milsurp powder which tosses out the potato at factory speed, about 2060 fps. Cases are Remington 8x57's.

Today I was rezeroing the rifle as I dropped it a while ago and the front sight went agogga. Also, I just got it back with the new pusspad on the behind. I used it for some years without, then decided I wanted the pad merely and only so it wouldn't slip and fall when standing on a slick wooden floor. Honest...

I do not zero these sorts of rifles from the bench. Al Miller noted in his piece in Big Bore Rifles that the 9.3x62 he was shooting went skyward with each shot. I have noticed that zero changes, sometimes pretty significantly with these light rifles when they are zeroed on the bench, then shot from field positions or standing. I do all zeroing from my sitting position which is this:

Here is my 3-shot zero group at 100 meters 1 1/2 inch high, 1 inch center-to-center farthest shots:

And here are 5 shots on the Norsk government shooting test target. No aiming point, asymmetrical target. There is an invisible circle, too.

This 5-shot group was shot at 200 yards from sitting as above, about 5 1/2 inches c-to-c. It's about as good as I can do. Hold was just above what I saw as the center of the invisible circle.

All in all, the old mule is back in the traces, and ready for bear season if my buddy's dogs are up to it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: 9.3x57]
      #100055 - 23/03/08 12:11 PM

Now that my blood pressure has normalized, all is forgiven.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: dons]
      #100094 - 24/03/08 12:13 AM

Quote:

Now that my blood pressure has normalized, all is forgiven.

Whew...I am relieved!

It may not be pretty, but at least it works!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #100128 - 24/03/08 10:02 AM

9ThreeXFifty7,

I know exactly what you mean. I have an 8x57JS sporter made by a member at the AR forums on a wartime DuV 42 action with a custom barrel and folding leaf sights which is far more accurate than I could hope to be. I am never going to sell that rifle and it will be my gift to someone whom I really care for when I can't hunt any more.

Congratulations on a nice, functional rifle.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #100138 - 24/03/08 12:38 PM

Thanks Mehul.

This one is one of those that I really can't see parting with. For one thing, it actually is a really practical rifle. For a long time I thought about getting an old peep-sighted Marlin 36 or 336 in the Sporting Carbine configuration for a light, fairly powerful but very handy gun for chasing bear and for bad weather deer stalking. Then I got this one and it fits the bill perfectly.

This one is a lot more powerful yet and a real joy to carry no matter the terrain which around here always involves lots of ups and downs!

--------------------

Landy
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: CA & ID, USA
      #100242 - 25/03/08 11:17 AM

I know that rifle from another forum, and I still want a sight just like yours for my old M46.

These old rifles with the stripper notch and strippers are very handy.

Too bad you are a lefty these old Husqy stocks as is are sooo sweet from the proper side.

Real using guns!

Landy

Edited by Landy (25/03/08 11:18 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: Landy]
      #100251 - 25/03/08 11:47 AM

Landy, here it is:

Keep looking. They are out there. If you get a chance to visit SARCO in NJ, see if you can root around in one of their warehouses. I am guessing they have junker rifles with jaktdiopter sights on them like this one. Truth is, it is a really practical and useful sight. Easy to adjust and doesn't get in the way.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #100254 - 25/03/08 12:05 PM

Very nice indeed. I am especially appreciative of your shooting. Your 1", 100 yard group is smaller than I could hope for from that postion and considering the sights, especially from the sitting postion. I do better at longer ranges, MOA-wise, that is. That is a find rear sight you have there - first I've ever seen (other than on the other forum). Nice stock - comb's a little low for me. Good placement on that deer, by the way. All killing shots and much better than I've ever seen at the local range prior to hunting season - and those blokes were shooting scopes off the bench at only 100 meters. I kid you not. Shooting off their elbows would have misses. Of course, my daughter would give you a run for groups in the kill zone (:-)} She's yet to fire her 400th shot, but deadly accurate she is - best pupil I've ever had. Of course, a kill is a kill.
; Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #100257 - 25/03/08 12:52 PM

Thanks Daryl.

Keep that little Gal on the range. Me, too with my daughters. When we are old and antiquekee the girls can keep our freezers filled for us!

--------------------

Landy
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: CA & ID, USA
      #100267 - 25/03/08 04:41 PM

NJ is a long way from ID and CA where I spend my time, and an email to Sarco produced nothing. I am emailing the other importers of these old Husqys about the sight.

I hear you guys about the guys at public ranges. I get odd looks when sitting between the benches to shoot, while the others hammer away from the bench. I have yet to see a bench in the woods, but my butt and knees always seem to be where I am.

Landy

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #100274 - 25/03/08 09:27 PM

Thanks for showing us your rifle 9,3!

It sounds like just the thing to carry around where you live, being both light and accurate.

May I ask where you got the Norwegian target from?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: My 9.3 Mountain Rifle [Re: EricD]
      #100283 - 25/03/08 11:19 PM

Landy:

That is a bummer, as I bet they have afew HVA jaktdiopters like mine, and probably even some Hellqvists buried among the junk.

In fact, that is how I got mine. As mentioned, this rifle is cobbled-together, and the barrelled action had the jaktdiopter on it when I saw it in its shattered stock on a visit to SARCO. They wanted way too much money for the thing {stock was destroyed}. So when they sent me that junker 46 in 6.5x55 {rusted out bore, scope mount...WELDED ON!!!} I remembered the virtually mint barrelled action 9.3 and made a swap. I sent them back the 6.5x55 metal and kept the stock and they sent me the 9.3x57 with its busted stock. I have the stock still, tho it is in really bad shape. I plan to make some knife handles out of it {I figure another norsk tollekniv would be neat, blade in a handle made from a Husky stock }.

The barrelled action more or less fit the stock, but it had the scope mount gap, typical cracked tang, so it needed some work, too. Plus the straight-razor comb. I decided to experiment with it and took a hoof rasp and rasped shouldered until the thing fit me like a glove with no strike on the face though my already-busted nose gets in the way a bit if I'm not careful. Kick is amazingly light. I had two HVA 8x57's that with handloads and Lapua factory ammo kicked harder than my .375, and I am not kidding. Sharp as can be. This thing at over a pound lighter is not bad at all.

Erik:

A friend i norge sends me the reinsdyrprøveblinkers. I have a stack of them and we use them all the time, along with some reduced-size targets I designed. They last a LONG time as I tape the bullet holes and then color the tape with permanent marker.

I have my own designs printed on card stock by a local printer, with the dødesone reduced by 1/2 the area {which is actually about an 8-inch circle instead of the reinsdyrblinker 30cm. I photo'd them for another post on targets a while back.

Incidently, glad you asked as it just jogged my mind a bit. I have spoken to the head of hunter safety for Idaho Fish and Game and he likes the idea of an asymmetrical target in the shape of a critter, with no aiming point. We do not have a shooting test requirement here like you do there, but during the hunter safety class, they have a short familiarization part where they shoot a few .22 rounds at a standing target. I suggested they use a target based on the norsk concept and he liked it. Since most of the ones taking the course are little kids, it would be a good oppotunity to drive home the point about killing shots, kill zones and making the first shot count. He said they have a stockpile of the bullseye targets but when they are used up he'd like to go to a new target. I have to call him.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com