Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .404 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
.404 Jeffery
      #98842 - 10/03/08 02:36 AM

Here is a couple photos of my .404.
The wood is really nice on this one, but unfortunately, some dope decided it would be the perfect gun to "practice" their newfound love for do it yourself engraving. So poor is the effort, that I am too embarrassed to post pictures of the action! Thank god he didn't touch the barrel!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by CptCurl (19/10/09 12:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: Huvius]
      #99102 - 13/03/08 08:48 AM

Syrely, you could get the engraving buffed off and the rifle restored. She is beautiful. A beautiful girl but with tatoos to use a kind of analogy that I really love.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #99163 - 14/03/08 12:52 AM

She is a classic beauty .404. Fine Mauser with classic business lines and fixtures. I feel the .404 is the true African all-around caliber. If I could find one that I can feel afordable, I would have this over my .375 H&H. Of course, of the same vintage as yours, not one of the modern CZs or the like.
Though Empire's rifles are very much the same style, from what I have seen.
Great hunting to you. I'd like to hear how it shoots and the loads you use.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #99170 - 14/03/08 02:04 AM

Looks great!

As for the engraving, I have a question:

Suppose somebody DID "practice" engraving on a classic English bolt gun and suppose the "engraving" was really bad, and suppose the engraving was light enough that it could be removed without ruining the case or strength of the action. Since the gun would, in effect, not carry its original collectible status anyway, would it be better to have the engraving removed {buffed off/ground off} and the gun reblued or would it be best to leave it alone?

What generates this question is the old, unfortunately common c.1950's practice in the USA of electro-penciling a an owner's Social Security # or Driver License # on the side of a gun, like I've seen many times on Remington 8's, 81's, A-5 shotguns, Winchester 71's, 12's etc.

What say ye?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: 9.3x57]
      #99174 - 14/03/08 02:41 AM

I agree, although I did think of having an experienced engraver cover whats there with a proper style. I am no expert in whether a shallow buff-removal is that detectable, or if it could be done without buffing out the numbers and proofs.
Eventhough this is a decent example (wood anyway) it is not on my "to do" list. I have never fired it and have no .404 ammo, so it will have to wait for the next owner (or years) to decide its course in life.

--------------------

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #106187 - 27/05/08 10:52 PM

Have a look at the Jeffery rifles advertised on the Cabela's website. It looks like the same person maltreated at least some of them as well. They are blued all wrong and are currently a bit of an eyesore (to my eyes, at least).

JvW

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #106549 - 03/06/08 08:35 AM

Quote:

I did think of having an experienced engraver cover whats there with a proper style.

The best idea yet. "Buffing" with a wheel is a no-no. To remove the engraving, it would need to be surface ground or stoned off (to keep everything square.)

I'd see it as an opportunity to dress it up a bit.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: new_guy]
      #106552 - 03/06/08 09:06 AM

If that was done by a home engraver, I would take the oppertunity to check the hardness of the action. I am suprised that they could even do it without annealing first?

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: Bramble]
      #106595 - 03/06/08 11:27 PM

Not to worry gents...I have talked Huvis into parting with the old dog. It will recieve a new mauser action of the proper vintage, have engraving cut to match original specs and then be re-heat treated, a new bottom metal will also get the proper treatment. I know most people do restorations around an action, this one is going to be around that great stock and barrel.
Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: bouldersmith]
      #107049 - 09/06/08 08:38 AM

for what it would take to either restore the action or change it it would not be worth the cost. what it amounts to is a nice looking english built rifle it, is not on a magnum lenght action in fact looking at the photos the magazine box seems like it protrudes lower than the stock line and there is also an altercation to the wood ahead of the bolt handle ,although the bottom metal looks like what holland would use on there rifles especially the shape of the trigger guard itself
if the gun is worth 3500-4500 as is putting 1500 into it without a name or magnum action would not make much sense what would you be restoreing it back too? judging by some stuff ive seen come out of england who knows if it was born like this ....have you ever seen parker -hales engraving...paul

bouldersmith
.375 member

Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: pjaln]
      #107058 - 09/06/08 10:31 AM

I agree with the basic premis of your post, but you missed a few things. The wood is not altered in any way. This is a 1905 model number 2 pattern Jeffery rifle, which were originally made on military actions. All of this is documented in Speeds book and in the reproduction catalogs from Cornell publishing. The cost, if one were paying retail for all of the work could be prohibitive. I work in the trade and do lots of restoration in house and additionally know several engravers. This helps my bottom line in the gun. I also traded for it...which also helps. Overall I'll do OK, have you seen the .333 number 2 pattern rifles Cabelas has? Spendy to say the least. Watch my website....it will be a long term project, but worthy in my mind. Oh and the floor plate is an abortion....Jeffery would never have let a rifle leave with his name on it looking like that. I think you may want to study up on British mausers, they usually were fine indeed.
Steve

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: bouldersmith]
      #107075 - 09/06/08 02:33 PM

didnt realize it was a a jeffery, i had a 333. years ago on a single sqare bridge. a friend of mine had a takedown fully engraved and mint, i think westleys had one not that long ago on a military action as a lot of jefferys were. i think they were asking 4950usd the wood looks like at the ejection port it was altered. study up on british mausers!! i have owned over 50 british and american custom rifles (just ask mike petrov), ive been to all the shops in england when rigby was still there, also if you have been looking at these things as long as i have, im 49 i bought my first british gun in 1986 ,a cased 275.rigby which i still own , you eventually see some incredible work and some stuff that makes you scratch your head ,i would like to see a closeup of the bolt side of the action ....paul

Huvius
.416 member

#107170 - 10/06/08 11:50 PM

Pjaln,
The current action is not original.
Original .404 Jeffs' had the right side of the ejection port removed to facilitate loading and ejection - that is why the wood is recessed at the rear of the port. Bouldersmith's replacement action will be altered in the same way Jeffery did to theirs. In the end, the action will match the wood contour as it should.

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

#107178 - 11/06/08 02:28 AM

yes, rigby also did this to there actions in the 50s when magnum lenghts were not avaliable as in HAROLD SELBYS .416 the bottom metal does have the holland look is the bottom metal and action original to each other and westley would cut a little out of the front ring for aiding in ejection
sounds to me like a nice military action refitted to that bottom metal and the bottom metal machined to fit flush with the plain of the stock would get you close to its "birthday"....paul

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
      #109651 - 13/07/08 06:58 AM

A large caliber and also a precious rifle, I hope you many satisfactions, or you continue to give those.

Regards,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: ovny]
      #109676 - 13/07/08 06:23 PM

That is a grand rifle!

If only rifles of that design and quality could be purchased today for less than US$20K!

salar73
.224 member

Reged: 02/04/07
Loc: Germany
Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #140578 - 14/08/09 09:04 PM

are you still interested in an original standard actioned .404 made by Jeffrey's London?

bouldersmith
.375 member

Re: .404 Jeffrey [Re: salar73]
      #140580 - 14/08/09 11:15 PM

So an update as to the old gals status. After a long search I was able to find a proper action, a 1906 Oberndorf in remarkably good shape. The wood turned out to be slightly altered around the mag box. Currently the Gun is with Duane Wiebe and Steve Yamagishi for custom bottom metal in the oberndorf style. Duanne will also head space the gun and get it to feed properly. I will then polish the action and have Jeffery style engraving recut. I will rust blue the action and if need be the barrel to and the restoration should be complete. More effort than it is worth? Quite possibly, but I have a soft spot for saving these classic British rifles.
Steve

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10970

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com