Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Croc hunting in Australia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Croc hunting in Australia
      #97 - 29/12/02 02:17 PM

Hi there guys
Do you guys hunt crocodiles in Australia or is'nt it permitted.Give me some info

Bigfive

First Previous 2-3 of 3 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

BigFive

Unfortunately croc hunting is officially illegal in "Oz".

There is no problems with their numbers, in fact they are a nuisance in many areas and harass swimmers even in built up areas.

Back in the 1970's there was a thriving croc hunting industry and sport. I have an article from the late 70's on this somewhere and will post an extract or info from it.

The salt water crocodiles can grow to an immense size and are much more aggressive than the African Nile Crocodile. To grow to this sort of size they must obtain a great age. Due to the ban on hunting crocs and the absence (due to commercial skin exploitation) of larger and older salties, the numbers exploded (older crocs kill young ones) so they are now very common.

There are two types of crocodile in Australia, with their common names known as Freshwater crocs (Johnson crocodile), and Saltwater crocs. But "salties" will travel far up the Northern estuaries into fresh water so fresh water isn't necessarily safe.

I went on a fishing trip to the North of the Northern Territory in the early 80's and was fishing on the Ord River for barramundi. We stopped after crossing the River ford and where the first vehicle through the road after the finish of the wet season (the road grader had just been through and cleared the 10 metre high blockage of the road deposited there after the wet season - which was VERY useful). We had a boat but didn't want to take it off the roof rack, so we just fished off the rocky banks. My lure got stuck on logs or rocks in the river and I waded out to free it in the waist deep water 6 times. The seventh time I had had enough. Everytime I stepped on a rock that moved I jumped out of my skin and had enough nerves so that was it. The seventh time was the LAST.

So I went for a walk South up river and found a big 100 m long quiet pool. There was two river banks the first about 2 metres high then a "plateau" of sand about 4 metres wide and then another bank about 3 metres high above me. The place reeked of the atmosphere of crocodile. The whole sandy area was covered in tracks, and a large splash of something submerging in the pool was heard. So I back tracked out.

Back in camp my mates had surprised a small croc in the middle of our camp eating the remains of our lunch barramundi fish.

Unfortunately we had to leave early due to a large thunderstorm depositing a large amount of water in the area and flooding the area, but that fun drive out is another story.

I went hunting freshy crocs with an aboriginal hunter in the Kymberleys area of Northern Western Australia, and we speared a younger one with a spear gun. "Traditional" hunters can hunt some protected game as part of food gathering activities. One person would ride "shotgun" with a rifle in case a shot was needed. You would aim the "tinny" (boat) at the eyes of the croc in the night, cut the motor and drift closer with the forward motion. The speargunner would hold the speargun in the water under the water and then when in range spear the croc in the head. Grab hold of the spear and pull it in. You can cook the crocs tail in hot coals.

There was an attempt to legalise trophy big game croc hunting a few years ago and there is NO reason it shouldn't be done (and many reasons why it SHOULD be done) (ie by issuing a limited number of croc hunting permits). But the greenies and the media would have gone wild and the politicians backed away from it.

At one fishing spot on the Durack River in the Kimberleys of WA we shone a spotlight around at night and counted 5 sets of large salties eyes all within 50 metres of our camp. Funny thing that night, a mate woke us all up absolutely screaming. But no croc, a bug had crawled into his ear which we killed by pouring water into his ear. The rest of the night I slept with a hand tightly clamped onto my upward ear!

Good hunting and don't let the bugs bite!

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Hi Nitro
Thanks for your reply,baad luck though.Here in South-Africa we have the same problem.Lots of crocs to hunt but no crocs for hunting.They say you can get a permit to do so but it is virtually impossible.They get more the futher you go up north.

The Nile crocodile grows up to 17-19 feet and reaches body masses of 1000kg easy.And not that aggressive as your salties they are still agro enough for me to play iin thhe water.They qualify for Rowland Ward on 14 ft and I think SCI is 12ft.

Just a little info to think about
Bigfive

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1441

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com