Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 'The African Carry'.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: hoppdoc]
      #104937 - 13/05/08 09:43 AM

hoppdoc,

I may have misled you with my terminology and I wasn't specific enough. My apologies. To me, a magazine rifle is any rifle not a double, typically your classic Mauser.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chris
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/06
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: JPK]
      #106805 - 06/06/08 01:09 AM

My son and wife hunting in the Selous last summer (first trip to africa). We took some long humps in the boonies, some lasting 6 to 8 hours. You end up carrying you rifle however you can.

here's a couple of pics

My son in the brown hoody then scout, then PH, then tracker with sticks (this was a spot and stalk on a wart hog)

Here's one in the tall grass

wife, son, ph and tracker carrying my son's rifle (this was a during a very long hump in the tall grass)

of course got to show this one. Son made nice 35 yard shot perfect shot placement on the shoulder but took another 3 or 4 shots before the buff realized the first shot killed him.

Chris
.224 member

Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: Chris]
      #106806 - 06/06/08 01:12 AM

sorry, didn't get the pic of the long grass

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #106819 - 06/06/08 03:23 AM

Chris,

In long grass like that..... I'd be carring my own DG rifle and it would be a DR

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

Chris
.224 member

Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: AzGuy]
      #106832 - 06/06/08 05:36 AM

AZguy

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but 6 hours into the hump and my son was tiring(he was 15 at the time) and at the PH's suggestion,he let the tracker carry his rifle.

My son normally shoots a win mod 70 7mm08 here in Idaho so when I asked my PH what I should get for the Selous he said to keep it simple: if he normally shoots a m70 then get a m70 in a 375 h&h and that's what I did.

A DR would be great and I wish I had one. As it turns out I don't think the buff knew the difference.

Here's a pic of my son just before he shot his buff. You think it's exciting when you take a shot, I almost hyper-ventilated when my son shot.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #203697 - 25/02/12 08:06 PM

The Africa Carry method here illustrated again.

The "Africa Carry" method. One carries the rifle facing forward over a shoulder with a hand balancing it in place. Easy to keep the muzzles in a safe direction in a group walking "Indian File". Ideal way to carry a heavy double rifle.

In this photo Professional Hunter Rory Muil carries his Pre-64 Winchester .458 Win Mag in the "Africa Carry" method.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: NitroX]
      #203698 - 25/02/12 08:18 PM

FWIW as a right hander I prefer the rifle slung forward of my body on the left with muzzle pointing upward abt 120 degrees and either a partial carry under the butt or the left hand around the for'ard end of the barrel (assuming a barrel sling). A quick shrug and the rifle swings into aim or port carry. just my 2 cents.

Anyone else?

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: EricD]
      #203709 - 25/02/12 08:50 PM

It's been 4 years since the last time I posted on this thread, and I have not changed my mind in the meantime.

Quote:

I personally do not find the over the shoulder position comfortable to carry a rifle for an extended period of time.

I actually prefer to carry the rifle in one hand at my side. Depending on the rifles balance, usually with my hand around the front part of the action. I switch from hand to hand as time passes to rest one or the other. I have no problem doing this all day, day in and day out. Naturally, a persons grip has to be slowly trained up to do this, but this isn't a big problem if you start off light with smallish "dumbbells" or something similar when out walking (even though this does look kind of strange if you walk where there are other people). Eventually going up to, and above, the weight of your rifle.

I feel I have better control over where the trigger and safety is, in regards to bushes and branches when holding it like this compared to over the shoulder. At least when sneaking thru dense bush.

Erik

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: EricD]
      #203711 - 25/02/12 09:05 PM

Wow, this was one of, if not the first post I made here. Some familiar nics too.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: tophet1]
      #203733 - 26/02/12 04:00 AM

This is the first time I have revisited this thread since posting on it four years ago. At the risk of being dubbed a "moron" again, I will reiterate what I said before, that I avoid the "African carry", and tend to carry my bolt gun with one hand at my side and my double gun broken over my shoulder. To the comment that this carry makes the double gun susceptible to seeds and twigs clogging up the action, I can only reply that the breech is right next to my face, and contact with branches and leaves would be noticed immediately. Most of the hunting I did in Africa was in open savannah territory, where this was not a consideration. Had it been, I would not have used it.

Another method I sometimes use involves grasping the rifle by the pistol grip and resting it inverted backwards over my shoulder, with the muzzle pointed well up in the air. This is a very fast position, almost as fast as the "port arms" carry, although not one I would care to use for extended periods of time. Obviously, it does not work well with a scoped rifle.

Whatever carry one uses has to be determined by the conditions at the time, but with safety for one's hunting companions of paramount importance. I have a rule never to go quail hunting with more than two other hunters, simply because it is too difficult to keep track of more than two (vide former Vice President Cheney).

Incidentally, one of the photos above, depicting a hunter carrying his rifle with his hand cupped over the muzzle, should be included in any collection of "what not to do" photos.

I feel strongly that a lot of dangerous gun handling occurs as a result of fatigue. A hunter struggling to keep up or virtually dead on his feet will be much less concerned about safety in carrying a loaded rifle, and that should be taken into consideration when getting in shape for a hunt.

Having been intimately involved with an incident where one of the young Marines under my command in Vietnam had an "accidental discharge" which resulted in the death of one civilian and the serious wounding of another has resulted in my being perhaps over sensitive on the subject. although where life and death are involved, I am not sure that it is possible to be over sensitive.

Another incident where a teenaged quail hunter walking behind me discharged his shotgun into the ground just inches from my foot also contributed to my sensitivity on the subject.

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: xausa]
      #203736 - 26/02/12 04:19 AM

I find the African Carry to the the most comfortable way of carrying a double rifle. I go to great lengths to avoid "sweeping" anyone with the muzzles as well. Just because the barrels are facing "generally" forward, doesn't necessarily mean they are pointing at the guy in front of you. In the AC, the muzzles naturally point off to the side. If carrying on the right shoulder, they point about 45* to the right. If the line sweeps left, no problem. If the line sweeps right, either switch shoulders or more often, pull the forehand into the body and point the muzzles down until the line sweeps back left. This allows me to always know where the muzzles are pointing. Likewise, when turning within close quarters to other people, again, pull the forehand to the body and point the muzzles down. It works like a charm.

OK, so what if I fall. Well, if I have the rifle on a sling and I fall, is there any guarantee that the rifle is less likely to AD? And in that situation, I have no control of the barrels during the fall. You can "what if" the situation all day.

For the folks who think the rifle cannot be brought into action from the AC in a timely manner, I ask, Have you tried it? I find it exceptionally fast. Just a downward movement of the barrels and the rifle comes off the shoulder, muzzles down, the left hand grasps the fore end, the other hand slides back to the pistol grip, and the rifle spins in the hands with the butt rising to the shoulder. Takes less than a second and the gun is in perfect control the entire time.

I don't find the AC method to be quite so handy or comfortable with a bolt action however and tend to use a sling instead under those circumstances. Especially if the rifle is scoped.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: HogPilot]
      #203880 - 27/02/12 07:10 AM

I would not use a sling on any dangerous game rifle...

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
'The African Carry'. [Re: tophet1]
      #203884 - 27/02/12 08:13 AM

I got to lay lots of boot leather last September with my DR. It's a small round action only 8 lbs. but I discovered the "African Carry" to be really comfortable.

Let me elaborate. My rifle has a lot of drop and no scope so the center of gravity is below my shoulder. The rifle literally is balanced longitudinally and laterally. The side by side barrels are perfect to grip as well.

A scoped bolt rifle may be very functional, but is not a joy to carry.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: bonanza]
      #203929 - 27/02/12 07:10 PM

Matt, IŽll have to call a "Voltaire" on you there, best, Mike

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #203938 - 27/02/12 09:16 PM

I dont use slings unless I'm on a motor bike.

Your gun should be in your hand imo.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: FATBOY404]
      #203939 - 27/02/12 09:54 PM

I used to be able to balance my side by side shotgun on my shoulder walking along without use of a hand.

A heavier DR is more difficult.

Balancing one's gun on one' head is only for serious Africiphiles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: 'The African Carry'. [Re: NitroX]
      #204799 - 09/03/12 11:40 AM

I have been on two hunts with my 9.3 double , 5 days in the mountains of southern Az and couple days in the south Texas brush . I was amazed at how easy the double carried compared to the bolt rifles I used to lug around . All day long every day for miles and miles the little double was right there in my hand , sometimes in either hand at my side , sometimes over my shoulder with my hand on the pistol grip , sometimes in either hand in the "African Carry" . [image][/image]

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17390

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com