Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #93030 - 31/12/07 07:59 AM

Which are the best Wilbur Smith´s from a hunting perspective?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #93065 - 31/12/07 04:16 PM

"When the Lion Feeds" is pretty good.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: DoubleD]
      #200485 - 24/01/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

'I am always fascinated by the confused thought processes of your average shrieking liberal,' Sean intervened and Claudia turned on him gleefully, lusting for battle. 'There is no confusion in my mind. You are here to kill animals.'

'The same way that a farmer kills animals,' Sean agreed. 'To ensure a healthy flourishing herd, and a place for that herd to survive.'

'You are not a farmer.'

'Oh yes, I am,' Sean contradicted. 'The only difference is that I slaughter them on the range, not in an abattoir, but like any farmer, my chief concern is the survival of my breeding-stock.'

"They are not domestic animals,' Claudia contested. 'Those are beautiful wild animals.'

'Beautiful? Wild? What the hell has that got to do with it? Like anything else in this modern world, the wild game of Africa has to pay its way if it's going to survive. Capo, here, is paying tens of thousands of dollars to hunt a lion and an elephant. He is giving those animals a monetary value far above goats and cattle, so that the newly independent government of Zimbabwe is willing to set aside concessions of millions of acres in which the game can persist. I hire one of those concessions, and I have the strongest incentive in the world for protecting it from the grazers and poachers and making certain I have plenty of game to offer my hunters. No, ducky, legal safari hunting is one of the most effective arms of conservation in Africa today.'

'So you are going to save the animals by shooting them with high-powered rifles?' Claudia demanded scornfully.

'High-powered rifles?' Sean laughed softly. 'Another emotive liberal parrot cry. Would you prefer us to use low-powered rifles? Won't that be rather like demanding that the butcher uses only blunt knives to cut throats? You are an intelligent woman, think with your head, not your heart. The individual animal is unimportant. His life span is limited to a few short years. In the case of this lion we are hunting, probably twelve years at the very most. What is beyond price is the continued existence of the species as a whole. Not the individual, but his entire kind. Our lion is an old male at the very end of his useful life span during which he has protected his females and his young and already added his genes to the pool of his race. He will die naturally within the next year or two. Much better that his death produce ten thousand dollars in cash which will be spent on providing a safe place for his cubs to live, than having this wilderness encroached upon by swarming black humanity and their scrawny herds of goats.'

'My God, listen to you.' Claudia shook her head sadly. ' "Swarming black humanity", those are the words of a racist and a bigot. It's their land, why can't they be free to live where they choose?'

'And that is the logic of woolly-headed liberalism,' Sean laughed. 'Make up your mind whose side you are on, the beautiful wild animals or the beautiful wild blacks. You can't have it both ways; when the two come into competition for living space, the wild animals always come off losers, unless we hunters can pay the bill for them.'

From A Time to Die by Wilbur Smith copyright 1989

Back to the top.

What a great quotation from a Wilbur Smith novel.

This thread has been resurrected for specific reasons.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #200500 - 24/01/12 06:56 PM

When the Lion Feeds, Sound of Thunder, A Sparrow Falls. and The Sunbird are good reads. Ive read them several times , enjoyed his older books more than the later novels. My daughter Storm is named from the Wilbur Smith novels. Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: 264]
      #200605 - 25/01/12 11:03 PM

I brought this topic back up for a reason.

Our little "friend" NakiTroller has been up to his usual annual tricks and brought up the subject yet again, on another forum. The last time was a few months ago.

For example he claimed this topic was censored. No posts show as being deleted. I don't remember deleting any and the flow of comments seems consistent.

I actually added NakiTrollers alias to banned words though as since he was banned - for threatening an email campaign to destroy these forums , if he didn't get his way - well he was banned immediately - anyway since he was banned he used to "monitor" the forums per his own words, and would email me immediately he found anything objectionable. And especially email if his alias ever appeared anywhere in a post. A real obsessive compulsive disorder personality. So his alias became a banned word to stop it from appearing.

He was banned sometime after this thread for again bringing it all up, childishly demanding to get his way, and when he didn't threatening and actually doing it, sending out emails following up on his threat to "discredit" and destroy these forums. Of course his delusions were greater than reality. We actually received emails from a couple of people asking who this "Naki" loony was. Ha ha

An example of one of his current postings elsewhere:

Quote:

Back to your lies and manipulation of the truth I see. You have at last shown your true "colours" outside your patch! You fail to mention that the so caled fellow country man you quote as a credible reference is the real nutjob - just google his background. Oh.... you deleted that post. Over 300 pages showing what a nut job he is. He is even banned from entering some countries because of his extreme political views and campaigns. Now if you use him as a charecter reference, then I rest my case! The internet is full of trainwrecks caused by your dear friend!
And stop the lies - no threats were made to shut your site down. Go & read the fact - unless you have deleted them to cover your tracks. I just pointed out to you that such hateful stuff on your site could easily attract that kind of response. At least you have subsequently had the sense to move your racists rants to a secure area and not leave it on public domain. The whole world was able to read your views that Obama would be assasinated! And you call me a racist! I am pretty sure you are on someone's watchlist for your extreme & hateful views.
BTW a credible lawyer who both of us know has my original post / letter. So you cannot manipulate the truth outside your patch and get away with it!

I looked at his PMs from four years ago and found him dribbling about lawyers back then as well. Pathetic.

I think the 300 pages refers to mehul and somehow I deleted a thread with 300 pages on NE? We have never had a 300 page thread! Or it could be delusional NakiTroller is confusing the other forums where somehow I deleted a thread on a forum I am not an admin or moderator of .....

ha ha ha

PS among the admins and moderators, we have been referring to this clown as "nappyhunter" for the last four years. Childish I know, but childish is VERY appropriate.

PPS Normally once a 'tard is banned from NE, we never discuss them again, openly at least, as they can't comment, but NakiTroller has been time and again attacking this forum on other forums, then whines shrilly when he gets answered on the other forums in response. He just recently said, we should be debating his trolling on NE so here it is.

The "fun" of being involved in forums is every now again, we must deal with the crazies out there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (26/01/12 12:15 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: NitroX]
      #200606 - 25/01/12 11:23 PM

Where do these people come from ? best

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #200608 - 25/01/12 11:29 PM

Quote:

Where do these people come from ? best

Been around for years, we have all met them, it's just forums and the internet have given them a very cheap, easy and quick way of getting their message out there.

Often with the result as per what NitroX did, banning him,
not for censorship reasons but others as explained above.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #200609 - 26/01/12 12:24 AM

Mike

Nappy is very well known to us.

I know his company. I know where he comes from. I know his church. I know the charities he claims to support.

But since then we have a moderator from the same area as nappy comes from and whose families knew each other.

Nappy is one of those PC extremists. A delusional self important crusader who believes he should be upholding standards of everyone else. Funny the guy doesn't seem to do anything himself except watch what everyone else does and then shriek and whine if he disagrees.

The 'racist' comment towards nappy comes from his own mouth, where he opened a post saying people on that forum have labelled him a "black racist". On that forum there is a very active and quite vile political forum, so if Nappy was "monitoring it" there would be lots of stuff for him to gets his blood pressure up on and "have to put his foot down" on. Obviously people came to the same conclusion there, that he is a 'black racist'.

He actually tried to smooch his way back as a member on NE months after being banned, but as you can see, a foaming at the mouth dog, is incurable, so it was always no chance. We don't give many second chances. Experience has shown, if someone is banned they will always hold a grudge. With so many forums, what's the loss anyway, just go and troll a different one if banned here!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: Wilbur Smith, so eloquent [Re: NitroX]
      #201158 - 30/01/12 10:01 PM

You all realise of course that you are arguing about what two people who don't even exist said?

Wilbur Smith is a novelist. He may or may not agree with what any of his characters think or say.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6695

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com