Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
zr2paul
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U
      #8805 - 12/02/04 05:17 AM

Looking for some information on a .470 Nitro Express. Found a NEW Heym Model 55B .470NE O/U and would like to purchase it for a Safari hunt one day and for North American Moose and Grizzly.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: zr2paul]
      #8830 - 12/02/04 11:47 AM

You generally don't buy doubles whether SXS or O/U for investment purposes. You usually buy doubles because of WANT and for no other reason. Granted, if the gun in question is grossly underpriced and is in good condition, get it because you want it. I see no reason why that particular O/U shouldn't work on anything anywhere on this planet. There are several 470 users that go Moose, Kodiak Bear and Caribou hunting with theirs.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: 475Guy]
      #8838 - 12/02/04 12:28 PM

I have no idea what it would be worth, whether or not this is agood deal. If it is, say, half of the normal price it probably could be an investment.

That being said an O/U rifle in a large caliber such as a 470 will not be a very desirable rifle and will be hard to move. An O/U is comparitively slow in reloading the bottom barrel because of the distance it has to open to access it. Because of this they are normally shunned as DG rifles.

If you want a scope on it than why not. Just be sure you get a high quality scope and don't try to get by with a cheap one.

The 470 is fine for any animal you want to use it on. It is not a flat shooting rifle but is as good as a 45-70 in the trajectory department. It will go through any animal you shoot with it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: mickey]
      #8860 - 12/02/04 02:37 PM

I would add as well, buy a rifle for using it and if its a good investment that's a plus not the main objective.

Same as wine, it's for drinking not selling.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: mickey]
      #8876 - 12/02/04 06:16 PM

...fully agree on the 'un-desirability' of an ou double in a calibre larger than the 9.3...

...looked closely at a beretta sso6 ou in .458wm recently...big, bulky, heavy, hard to maneuver...could not get the sense that breaking open the action, loading, closing the action, shouldering and sighting could be done in one deft movement...other than that, the sso6 was beautifully made and put together like a proverbial swiss watch...

...on the other hand, an 8 pound 9.3 on a 20 bore action is another matter...imho...

zr2paul
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #8893 - 13/02/04 02:50 AM

Do you think a Sodia .375 H&H would be a better gun than the Heym .470? I know it's not exactly the most comparible gun but I'd like to get some idea. My Dad is now considering the .375H&H (undecided) He would like something he could use for a Safari hunt 1 day BUT also use for North American Big Game (Moose and Grizzly). Some say the .470 is WAY OVERKILL but some say it does less damage to the meat than a 30 Caliber rifle. The .375 H&H as far as I know is the minimal requirement for Safari Hunts and can be used for big game in North America.

Thank You!

Paul

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Heym Model 55B .470 Nitro Express O/U [Re: zr2paul]
      #8921 - 13/02/04 09:38 AM

If your dad is still in the market, have him stay from all rimless cartridges. The extractors made for the rimless cartridges are specially made and are springloaded for their use. There are a lot problems raised especially when using the higher pressure cartridges. It doesn't happen that often, but often enough for me to never play with rimless cartridges in any double. He needs to always use a rimmed cartridge in any double that he buys. Since I've only been shooting doubles for only a couple three years, I don't know as much as the rest of the heavy users here.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com