Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Snake bite treatment

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Snake bite treatment
      #87 - 29/12/02 01:21 PM

This is the recommended snake bite treatment per my first aid kit. Note recommended methods change over time, and also this treatment is for a snake bite common in Australia where the snakes fangs inject the venom into the wound rather than say for the US rattle snake where I believe the venom drips along the fang and the venom is not as deeply inserted into the bite (?).

SNAKE BITE TREATMENT

Most snake bites occur on ther limbs and usually on the leg. It is recommended that all snake bites be treated as if from a venomous snake (note 95% of snakes in Australia are venomous).
Immediately apply firm pressure with hand or fingers over the bite site.
Keep the person at rest and calm.. Instruct the person to avoid all movement of the bitten limb.
DO NOT WASH the bite site. N.B. a sample of the venom may be taken later to identify the snake.
If the bite is on a limb - apply a dressing then firm roller bandages over the bitten area down to the toes or fingers and back up to the joint above the bite site. NB apply the bandage firmly but not tightly to cutoff circulation.
Immobilise the limb. If a lower limb - use a splint, if an upper limb - use a splint and a sling.
Constantly check airway, breathing and pulse.
Commence resuscitation if required.
Arrange transport of the injured person to the nearest medical assistance. Keep the person at rest during transport.
The bandage and splint must remain in place until the person has been transferred to medical care.

Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

I have read you have some of the worse for bites and pure venom.Afirca for a fast death (1 step and 2 steps ) bite and die real fast.In the USA snake bites do not kill many people but the youth and sick or older people.

Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

But it can ruin your day,hell we even have a church that they dance with rattle snakes and copper heads.........Seems if they get bitten its god will

Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Nitro,
I agree with you on the message you posted but that treatment is only for hemathotoxic(spelling) snakes.Here in Africa we use your description for the Adder family.Their poison attacks your body tissue like gangrene.With cobras and mambas you must cut the bloodflow off totally to prevent the poison to get to your nervous system.This is sitotoxic(spelling)poison and it actually paralizes you so you die from suffocation because you cant breathe any more.
I'll go back to my books and post a more fuller explanation.
Bigfive

Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Redbeard

I believe some Indians and certainly some central American tribes believed that being bitten by certain snakes brings on mystical visions.

I once read some statistics on snakes. New Guinea ie tropical jungles and mountains had many species of snakes - something like 5000 (?) but only about 15 species of poisonous snakes. Australia has about 95 species of snakes and about 90 of them are seriously venomous with the top 5 or 6 most poisonous species.

Luckily most snakes are afraid of man (with good reason) and if they are aware will move away. That is why they are seen so rarely. But for hunters moving silently they often are taken unawares. Even then they will still move away, usually. Most people are bitten trying to kill snakes and get into range. Also when they step on them. But they can be agrressive during the maiting season.

Africa, to my knowledge, has some quite aggressive snakes which will actively chase or attack humans.

B5

what I left out of the first aid is medical authorities will administer the anti-venene. If fact we have a centre for the manufacturer of snake and spider poison right here in the Barossa Valley, for anti-venene production. Without this the patient will still likely be in great danger - of heart failure, shock etc

I think cobras and mambas might be similar. The gangrene effect you mention can be a side effect but the first aid treatment is basically immobilisation so the venom does not spread as quickly in the blood stream and reach the heart, major organs, brain etc as quickly.

Talking about disgusting creatures, we have a "flesh eating" spider here and I have some on my farm infact. They look like a bird dropping, grey and white. Their poison causes the body to rot and I don't believe there is any anti-venene (maybe they cut away the flesh ??). People bitten have lost half their arms, faces etc, but luckily it is pretty rare for someone to be bitten.

We also have red back spiders (black widows) locally and they are the most likely thing to be bitten by. Usually does not result in death except for sick, young or older persons

'Touch wood' I have never been bitten by poisonous spiders or venomous snakes. Though my father doing farm work has been bitten by both red backs and a tiny brown snake. Good reasons to wear gloves.

Nitro

Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Here we also have the Black Widow with the rd spot on the ass.They are very common all over South-Africa and they like the suburbs.I promise you if we go around my house now we'll find 20-30 easy without looking hard.My aunt was bitten by one while she was pregnant with my cousin 3weeks before his birth.(now I know why the beer has no effect on him)and both of them ended up in hospital but was fine.

Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

We have black widows too and brown reculse spiders

Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

I don't know what the origins of red back / black widow spiders are, but basically they exist in most places where man lives where it is warm enough and sufficient humidity to survive.

I believe they colonised many parts of the world parallel with human colonisation - ie it the holds of ships / cargo etc.

There is one area in New Zealand, near Auckland on the beach, where the hinterland is full of tussocks and bushes. The area is full of red backs with many being able to be found per bush or tussock. The area is also famous for good fallow deer trophies. Brave the spiders for your stag.

Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

I would brave it.....worth the risk....I camp with moss so whats a spider or a snake

Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Only thing that put fear in me are ticks.......I have had lymes already once don't want it again

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 1876

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com