Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Grizzly vs African Lion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
alaskan
.224 member

Reged: 27/08/07
Loc: alaska
Grizzly vs African Lion
      #85534 - 13/09/07 07:01 AM

As I was watching a 7 foot interior grizzly bear while moose hunting this past weekend, I wondered which one would win if a grizzly and African lion met face to face, given they weigh about the same.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: alaskan]
      #85544 - 13/09/07 11:29 AM

Kinda like fantasy hunting--

What if etc--

But--
If I had to choose between them I would choose the Grizz.
The Grizz is heavier boned and just as quick with a long paw/reach with razor sharp claws vs lion teeth. One stroke would crush a lion in mid jump.I doubt the lion could tolerate the damage and continue the attack.Could a lion get and stay on a bears back? I doubt it.One bear bite or hit and its over.

Seeing a big bear at full speed is a scary sight indeed.

My money would be on the Grizz.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: hoppdoc]
      #85547 - 13/09/07 12:11 PM

Quote:

Kinda like fantasy hunting--

What if etc--

But--
Could a lion get and stay on a bears back? I doubt it.One bear bite or hit and its over.

Your comment reminded me of a story I was told by Mark out of Illiamna Air Guides, Alaska on my first drop camp hunt for caribou in 2001. He stated that while he was flying his supercub he noticed a grizzly running our of a stand of timber with a wolf pack on his heels.. while the griz was running a wolf would literally jump on the bears back and bite into him. Mark said the griz would spin and the wolf would go flying off, however after a bit, the bear would take off running agian and the wolves would repeat the same thing with one of them jumping on the bears back..Mark said he didn't know what that bear had done to piss off the bears that bad but they were really raising heck with him--he said they had eventually gone into more timber so he did not know what the outcome was but that it didn't look good for the gizz at the time...

Not sure who would win the one above--but would be interesting to say the least..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: Ripp]
      #85552 - 13/09/07 01:51 PM

Reading an article the other day about bears Vs bulls in old California. A circus had imported an African Lion to fight bulls when someone got the bright idea to pit the bear against a lion. From what the old newspaper article said the Grizzly made pretty quick work of the lion.

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: Taos]
      #85580 - 13/09/07 10:23 PM

I thought grizz could reach 1000 lbs plus. A big lion will run about 500. Don't think there's real debate on that one.

Then there's the fact that big boars have been known to kill and eat sows which would be about lion size.
I guess it might depend on the size of the grizz.

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

yukon_delta
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/07
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: Savuti_One_Shot]
      #85645 - 15/09/07 05:10 AM

The Romans had a few events with lions vs. bears in the gladiator games. My understanding is that the bears did very well. Now if they could find a really big wolverine, he would spank everyone and run the rest of us up the nearest tree!

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Grizzly vs African Lion [Re: yukon_delta]
      #85759 - 16/09/07 10:33 PM

Despite his size a bear is an ineffective killer, where the lion is a very effective killer. This can be explained by the fact that the omnivorous bear does not need to kill all his food but the lion does. People who are attacked by bears often survive, people attacked by lions seldom survive, if that is any sort of measure. Bears can be quick, but not so quick as a cat. The bear would be more resilient to injury, but the lion would be better at inflicting injury and in the end I believe that would win the day. The result must remain conjecture because any sort of contest would be artificial leaning the advantage to one animal or the other, and I for one would not care to see it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2072

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com