Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
S2in470
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/05
Loc: Waxahachie Texas
Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa!
      #85070 - 03/09/07 03:12 PM

My wife Debbie and I just returned on August 24th from our hunt with Hanes Els and Limcroma Safaris in South Africa. We had an incredible time and we both agree this was the best hunt or vacation (anywhere) we have ever been on. The hunting was fantastic, the accommodations were 5 star, and the staff really went all out to assure we had the best time. We strongly recommend Limcroma Safaris to anyone looking for a quality hunt. Hannes and his team worked hard to get us the best in trophies South Africa has to offer. Our hunt was for lion, buff, and plains game. We planned it 2 years in advance and it surpassed every expectation we had. I can also highly recommend Tyge Floyd of Full Draw Outdoor Media. He was out cameraman and photographer on this trip and did an outstanding job!

If you want a quality hunt and super trophies we recomend you try Limcroma Safaris! We are already booked for August 2008 so we wil see you there.

I have included pics of just a few of the 36 trophies we took while on Safari.

My Kudu (60.5 inch per side)

Front View of my Kudu

Debbie and her Kudu (54 inch per side)

My Lion (I have waited a life time for this one!)

Another view of the Lion

Debbie and her huge Lioness (just after her 7 mile stalk)

One of the great Warthogs we took

My buff (41 inch) taken with a Heym 88B PH in 470 NE

Another view of the buff

The buff team

Debbie and her outstanding (33 inch per side) Waterbuck!

My Waterbuck isn't bad either (32 inch per side)

This is an outstanding (17 inch per side) Common Reedbuck I took

Debbie and her nice male Gemsbok

Here is my nice female (42 inch per side) Gemsbok

This Eland is much bigger than he looks here (and was a real mother to load)

My Impala

Debbie, Hannes, and her Impala

We have LOTS more photos and trophies so I will post more soon!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: S2in470]
      #85071 - 03/09/07 05:10 PM

Absoluely outstanding.

Thank you and look forward to a good read
in the near future.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #85085 - 04/09/07 01:10 AM

MGM Studios just called. They want their lion back.

Simply magnificient!

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #85093 - 04/09/07 05:18 AM

It looks like you had a great time! Congratulations!

Erik

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: EricD]
      #85097 - 04/09/07 07:27 AM

Well done!

That could very well be the first buffalo shot with the new "PH" model rifle.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: new_guy]
      #85101 - 04/09/07 09:01 AM

Great trip!!

A Double rifle on DG--superb!

A hunt you will remember for a lifetime.

23 Days in Africa hunting-Fantastic!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (04/09/07 09:03 AM)

S2in470
.224 member

Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #85108 - 04/09/07 02:19 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I have always wanted to hunt a lion like this one. They are truly the alpha predator in the area and show absolutely no fear. Debbie took a great lioness on an exciting and challenging hunt. It is not just the hunting opportunities or the game that make trips like this a success it is the hard work of the staff of the Safari companies. In our case these guys exemplified the term professional! Our cameraman Tyge Floyd was greatly helpful during the hunt in spotting the lioness several times and was able to get some superb footage of this hunt of a lifetime. Here are some details:

We hunted the lions in the Kalahari on Limcroma’s Mankwe concession. The hunting area is roughly 44,000 hectares (109,000 acres) of un broken desert. This was a physically and mentally tough hunt from clawing through miles of blackthorn groves to stalking for hours in talcum powder fine sand. But that is why we hunt lions!

Lion hunting requires absolute precision on shot placement as a poor shot can turn they trophy of a lifetime into a widow maker quickly! Because of this we spent a good deal of time watching and studying The Perfect Shot video prior to our trip to Africa. We also discussed proper shot placement with our PHs on the hunt as they are the real experts. Our goal is always a one shot stop and a safe humane hunt.

Debbie was carrying her Blaser R93 Attaché in .375 H&H using the superb 300gr Barnes Triple Shock bullets and Barnes banded solids (all hand loaded). On this hunt she was loaded with the triple shocks, which as always preformed perfectly. She uses a Zeiss 1.8-5.5X42 scope in Blaser QD mounts. Her rifle was fitted to her and had a RAD installed on the stock to help with recoil and speed follow up shots. Debbie is absolutely a crack shot with this rifle as proven on numerous heads of game. In order to hone this perishable skill we maintain a strong practice regimen, which includes shooting from various positions including off the sticks. We focus on accuracy and speed so when a shot presents itself we can make it. She also used her Swarovski 10X25 binos during the stalk. When hunting dangerous game binos are an absolute must! They give you the ability to spot the game in tough cover.

We stalked Debbie’s lioness for 7+ miles (by GPS) after we got on the initial track. I was a tough hunt and our PHs’ kept us on track and assured we stayed hydrated. Several times we “bumped” the lioness from close cover without getting a decent shot opportunity. On one occasion we literally were right on top of her before she shot out of a bush! Thank goodness she decided not to attack because she would have certainly had us cold! After several more miles of tracking we settled on a strategy of pushing the lioness until she stands her ground and presents a shot. It was at this point Freddie (one of our PHs) was attempting to hem lioness in so Debbie could get a clean shot when we heard some tremendous roaring from the and Freddie yelling “Come! Come!” Freddie had her at 5 yards and was holding fire with his 505 Gibbs (now that is some serious balls) until Debbie could get in position. At the last moment the lioness rushed by us and was off again.

Finally, she made her last stand as the light was fading over the Kalahari. She pulled in under a tree and prepared for a charge! Her tail was lashing back and forth as she examined her pursuers to see which would be the focus of her attach. She was panting nervously as she crouched coiling her legs for the rush.

Debbie got on target and was resented with a frontal chest shot. Hannes instructed her to “wait until her head clears and the chest opens up but be sure of your shot”. At that moment all eyes were focused on the lioness. Just then she moved her head opening her chest up for a perfect frontal shot. Hannes looked at Debbie and said “take her now”. The 375 H&H cracked and the lioness crumpled from her pre charge crouch onto her left side her tail waved for a few seconds and then was still. Debbie made the final stalk to the lioness and put in an insurance shot. My beloved wife had just taken the first of her dangerous game animals with a perfectly placed shot thus ending a fabulous yet tough day!

We returned to camp in the dark and the temperature was dropping quickly. Our feet were so sore from the trek that we pulled off our boots and soaked our feet in the icy cold pool. I was so exhausted, I fell asleep before dinner. Thankfully, our hostess thoughtfully saved some excellent fried kudu from dinner for breakfast the next morning. The pros were in better shape than we were, but everyone was tired enough that everyone went to bed not long after dinner.

That evening the trackers were out dragging the airfield when the big male lion I would eventually take charged the land cruiser. He literally tried to get inside and make a midnight snack of the lads! So early the next morning we were out of the airstrip looking for tracks in the soft sand. But more on that later!

S2in470
.224 member

#85110 - 04/09/07 03:03 PM

If this is the first one taken with the PH let me assure you it works quite well! It was spot on right out of the box!

Also, let me know if you would like a letter of recomendation on this fine rifle as well as some more pics of the buff and rifle.

A quick note on the Heym 88-B PH; the rifle is simply AWSOME! Mine was purchased from Sportsman’s Finest in Austin Texas (I drove down from Ennis [near Dallas] to get it from August who is a super guy). This particular PH model has both a 470 NE barrel with 1 standing express sight (marked 35 yards) and 1 folding "U notched" leaf (marked 50). It also has a superb 20ga barrel with fixed chokes in my favorite pattern of ¾ - ¼ (IM-IC). The rifle balances dead on the hinge pin with EITHER BARREL! So with the 20ga barrels installed feels like a finely balanced shotgun (not just a double rifle with different tubes on it)! I took 15 doves and some guinea fowl with in Africa. In fact, I love it so much I took it dove hunting today as my shotgun of choice, which says a lot because I own 31 other shotguns.

I personally own 3 double rifles and handled or shot numerous others. The Heym is, in my humble opinion, the best gun for the money. In fact I am selling (or trading) my other doubles as I am highly satisfied with my Heym. I shoot and reload lots of 470NE (I have 250 rounds loaded currently and fire on average 50-80 per month) to stay in practice and because I love shooting doubles. This is one of the more accurate doubles I have owned! Mine is box stock at 10 lbs (no mercury or otherwise) and shoots like a dream. I find it likes Woodleighs, which is what I took the buff with. This is the rifle I chose to take the buff with and I’m glad I did. As soon as I get the video in I will show it to you. Short story is; First shot was a lethal one but he was still running so I pumped one more into his lungs (as we ran along side) and then lastly a high shoulder shot breaking the spine. Two reloads (one partial and one full) on the run with 0 fumbles. A flat out awesome gun!

As an example of accuracy, on arrival at the buffalo camp we “tested the sights” (e.g. the PH finds out if the client can actually shoot his big gun before trying it out on a buff); so I backed off to 65 yards and the PH propped a hand sized rock up on a stick against an old wall. First shot (right barrel) powdered the rock and the second (left barrel) eliminated the top of the stick leaving 2 closely grouped holes in the old wall. Thus my double and I were deemed “good to go” and off we went to hunt buff. Truthfully the rifle is so accurate it is quite an easy shot after a little practice. Every PH I ran across was greatly impressed with the rifle as it has great balance, is accurate, certainly reliable, and is also good looking.

When paired (in a custom case) with my Dakota 76 African Traveler in 375H&H / 300H&H the Heym 470NE/20ga combo allows me to hunt anything anywhere!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85112 - 04/09/07 03:52 PM

Quote:

My Lion (I have waited a life time for this one!)

Debbie and her huge Lioness (just after her 7 mile stalk)

Cool. His and Hers lions.

They would look fantastic if full mounted together.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85113 - 04/09/07 03:55 PM

Quote:

When paired (in a custom case) with my Dakota 76 African Traveler in 375H&H / 300H&H the Heym 470NE/20ga combo allows me to hunt anything anywhere!

Wow! That is my dream hunt anywhere in the world armoury and easy to pack. I am very jealous.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: NitroX]
      #85123 - 04/09/07 08:50 PM

23 days Hunting Africa and hunting with those kind of toys!! Neat!

I am envious as well!

Enjoy those moments to thw max! You are blessed!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #85125 - 04/09/07 09:32 PM

I remember that PH 470 well. In fact, it is featured in photographs on the website and will also be in the new catalog. You used it exactly as intended: to get your buff with the 470 barrels and to have some fun shooting birds with the 20s after the fact.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

S2in470
.224 member

Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: new_guy]
      #85145 - 05/09/07 02:35 AM

The lions (his and hers) will be full body mounted in our living room. We are going to do Debbie's in a "pre-charge" and mine in more of the "regal standing pose" with the same look of "why is this silly fat man standing in my desert?” he had when I took him.

As for the set of rifles; yes I have been very blessed with a wife that likes guns so I can indulge in some really top-notch stuff without fear of reprisal visits to the David Yurman boutique. Debbie has a custom cased set (case by Americase) of a Blaser R93 Attaché with a barrel in 30-06 (with a Zeiss 3-9X42) and a barrel in 375H&H (with a Zeiss 1.8-5.5X42) for her hunting travels. While she also owns numerous other fine guns (e.g. her "other" hunting rifle is a Steyr Scout JC package) however she prefers the Blaser for hard-core hunting.

Besides the perfect (IMO) Heym double for the job, my beloved Dakota 76 African Traveler rounds out my "world wide hunting case". It starts with a barrel in 300H&H with a Swarovski 1.5-6X42 (illuminated circle dot in the 1st focal plane) which was ideal for taking long pokes at things like my Reedbuck, which was shot standing off the sticks at 400 yards (yes, it is on video). The second barrel is in 375H&H and wears a 1.1-4X30 Kahles CSX (post dot illuminated in the 2nd focal plane). The Dakota is astoundingly accurate, fast, balanced, attractive, and well made. It also holds 5 in the mag and 1 in the snout; which gives you a good feeling when on the stalk with prides of lions in the area.

Ammo wise, we use Barnes bullets in all the bolt guns. Our choices are triple shock 180gr in the 30 calibers (30-06 and 300H&H) and 300gr triple shocks & banded solids in the 375H&H barrels. I cannot give a higher recommendation on bullet choice! We reload our ammo and I can tell you the Barnes have the most consistent weight (bullet to bullet) thus the accuracy is phenomenal. The bullet choice accompanied with precise shot placement allow us to spend more time hunting for the next trophy and less time tracking the game we just shot. All of our animals taken with the triple shocks (including the lions) either dropped to the shot or expired within 25 yards. Thus “recovery” consisted of loading the animal in the land cruiser. In fact all of the Barnes bullets we recovered had 100% weight retention and photo perfect expansion. That said we also recovered the 500gr Woodleigh soft from the buff and it was a picture perfect expansion. Great ammo makes good shot placement even better!

The best advice I received was: No matter what you type of rifle and caliber you choose, shoot it a lot (preferably off the sticks) and learn to shoot quickly. The game will not hang about waiting for the hunter to get everything perfect. Also, pick up a copy of “The Perfect Shot” video and really study it. Your PH will tell you which one to shoot as well as how, where, and when but the more prepared you are as a hunter the better.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #85357 - 10/09/07 04:00 AM

Congratulations on what I believe is the most impressive haul from a modern safari I have ever seen. How can you top this one?

Regards,

albertan

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: albertan]
      #85461 - 12/09/07 01:32 AM

Congratulations on a GREAT hunt and wow that lion! Thanks for sharing the gret pictures and story. I like your choice of calibers as well. I have a Model 70 in 300 H&H that I plan to use on my next safari loaded with the same bullet you used, so I'm glad it worked out, espcecially at long range. My load os 71gr of RL-22 ccI-250 primers. I get right at 3010 fps. jorge

S2in470
.224 member

Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: jorge]
      #85560 - 13/09/07 04:12 PM

Thanks again for the feedback! We had a fantastic time and while I am not sure we can top it, I am willing to try! We are currently lining up a Leopard, Hippo, Croc, and more PG (Sable/Roan etc) with Limcroma for August 2008, which should be a super safari for next year. We are also putting a deposit on Elephant + some PG for 2009 with them too. The BIG goal is to afford a rhino in 2010 to finish my first Big 6!

For your viewing pleasure I have just updated our website for the hunt with more photos from the hunt!
The link is: http://web.mac.com/hunter_elam/iWeb/Safari/SAFARI.html

I absolutely love the H&H calibers. The 300 & 375 make for an ideal combo. Heck you don't really need anything else. I have been using the Barnes book load for the 300H&H of a 180gr triple shock over 68gr of H4350 with a WLMR primer (the Winchester primers do well for this load although they call for a REM 9 1/2). The book shows it flying at 2988fps and I get around 2985 which is fast and flat with around 3 inch drop at 200 and 11.5 at 300 when dead on at 100. It dropped everything in its tracks and was super for the flat grass plains in Nylstrom where I took the Reedbuck. Heck even the factory 180gr Barnes loads from Federal are good too!

We discussed loading the heavier 200+gr bullets but I’m glad I didn’t do it. If I needed the “bigger stick” I could always go up to the 375 and at 180gr you have the perfect combo of long range, great energy/penetration, and stability in wind. I can tell you in several places I hunted it was a lot closer to Antelope hunting in the US than “traditional safari hunting” with shots at 300+ yards and literally no way to stalk closer. Several of these plains where like staking in an empty Wal-Mart parking lot; nothing but air to hid behind! The 180gr load out of my Dakota is literally a “death laser” as far as accuracy goes. With the Swarovski cranked up to 6X I took some rather “technically demanding” shots at range. For example the Blesbuck was at 230 meters at a full trot and was felled with 1 shot behind the shoulder. While I do practice a lot off the sticks; having a very accurate load and a rifle that is spot on will make you look great every time!

In the 375 H&H I am loading the 300gr Triple shocks and banded solids from Barnes, which fly to the same POI with very minor adjustments to the loads. I use the same 68gr of H4350 with the same WLMR Primers and get an honest 2475FPS out of them. This load also dropped everything I shot it at. I do feel the triple shock bullets are quite hard and act more like solids on animals up to Kudu in size. Unless you hit a shoulder bone (and sometimes even then) they go right through! They are designed for the “worst case” animal (Buffalo) so they run harder than say a Nosler Partition. We recovered the Barnes from my Eland, which was a huge bodied bull (although it doesn't look like it in the picture as his chest was in a pit). It was found right under the skin on the off side and is perfectly expanded (as are the ones from our lions) which you can see on our website. This is after going through some big shoulder bones! The Barnes bullet in whatever caliber penetrates very deeply and will hammer the snot out of everything in the way. That said, you really must be cautious in heard hunting to assure that there are no other animals behind your intended trophy, as they do tend to yield pass through shots. So unless you want to pay for 2 Kudu and chase 1 for 3 days; I suggest picking those close in shots carefully!

yukon_delta
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/07
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
      #85638 - 15/09/07 04:48 AM

That kudu is huge. You will probably never see one that big again anywhere. The buff is also very nice and mature. Sometimes guys get the width without the hard bosses but yours is all there. The reedbuck and your wife's waterbuck are also way above average and your other trophies are great too. The lioness is something I would like to do as I cannot afford it otherwise.

Looks like you had the perfect trip...fantastic trophies and memories and your wife joining you in the hunt. Congrats on a wonderful experience. I really like your choice of bullets and rifles also. You spared no expense! I would hate to see your shipping and taxidermy bill.

PM to you.

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: yukon_delta]
      #106849 - 06/06/08 09:17 AM

Great photo's and story ! Thanks for the link.
What a lovely fantastic 23 days you guys had.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Just returned from 23 fantastic days in Africa! [Re: lapua]
      #107457 - 15/06/08 10:47 PM

Great safari! That lion is awesome.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6446

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com