Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best Buffalo shots--

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Best Buffalo shots--
      #83912 - 12/08/07 06:13 AM

Reviewed this on a Safari Outfitter site--

http://www.safaribwana.com/MEMBERS/buffalo%20shot%20placement.htm

Who disagrees with any of the shots??

I have never shot a Buff but---

Agree with all the shots except maybe the top right--I would shoot a bit more forward to between the angled two legs,although actually whacking the opposite shoulder will certainly work. The wide shot "spot" localization raises concerns of hitting to far back on this apparently ? slowly moving animal and getting just one lung(and getting into deep Sh*t tracking this fellow into the thick stuff).

On the lowest picture it would seem shooting a bit more forward would anchor the animal better although a heart lung shot will certainly kill it.

Mickey mouse criticism I guess--
But when I shoot one of these guys I want him DEAD on his feet and out for the count.

Any thoughts from you Buffalo hunters out there??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Best Buffalo shots-- [Re: hoppdoc]
      #83918 - 12/08/07 11:05 AM

They all look fine to me.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Best Buffalo shots-- [Re: ozhunter]
      #84156 - 17/08/07 08:37 PM

I agree, they would all work fine, although my experience is with Asian buff. For preference, I would shoot a little more forward on the side-on shots too, and perhaps a little higher. With the larger NE chamberings, the emphasis is more often on smashing the shoulders and spine, rather than slipping behind the on-side shoulder to be sure of holing the pump.

With a decent calibre, middle of the front half.....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Best Buffalo shots-- [Re: Marrakai]
      #84163 - 17/08/07 10:59 PM

Be careful about hitting too low in the chest, as there is lots of skin, muscle and rib below the vitals and a bullet through that stuff will result in lots of tracking. Likewise, be careful not to hit too high in the chest as the bullet may pass over the lungs but below the spine without lethal effect.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Best Buffalo shots-- [Re: 500grains]
      #84190 - 18/08/07 09:18 AM

Showing my ignorance--

It would appear that the top right would be easiest shot to screw up vs the anterior angled head on shots--

If you shoot abit back and too far ABOVE the top 1/3 of the chest or BELOW the "mystical" 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest to the opposite shoulder there could be problems. I assume there may be trouble with not getting the vital cardiopulmonary structures.Hopefully both lungs would still get hammered but how far up or down the actual shootable margins extend could be is a guess for me.

The question arises how low is too low or high is too high??
A buffalos lungs are a large area to shoot at.
Don't think I want to find out in Africa.

Obviously whacking the middle 1/3 of the chest through to the opposite shoulder to break 'em down as shown is the money shot!

On the anterior angled shot the trick is to angle the shot for both lungs/heart.Years ago had a friend shoot at an elk's middle chest on an angled anterior shot and only ONE lung was hit.
That was a long day-- With a cape buffalo that would be a disaster.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Best Buffalo shots-- [Re: hoppdoc]
      #84199 - 18/08/07 11:30 AM

Hoppdoc:

Grab a copy of Robertson's "The Perfect Shot", and Boddington's "The Perfect Shot North America". Both pretty good books. Robertson's is really excellent.

If you are really interested in a further education {other than killing game}, find a meat packing plant around and wheedle your way in somehow and study the critters on the hoof and on the hook. Every time we kill here on the ranch {any critter} I get the kids out and we use it for a "science project" of sorts. Studying this stuff even on paper does help if you can't see dead critters in person.

An example of all this I can point to is from last November when my daughter shot her first deer. We practice on the range at various targets, shooting from field positions, and I won't let anyone, my kids and me included, hunt on my place till they have past a rudimentary shooting skills test.

In the event, of course and naturally, the critter gave her a presentation she had never seen exactly in books or on targets. But all her years in 4-H ag club and the hanging around the meat hooks watching critters get carved up paid off; she knew where to place her shot and she put it where it belonged. Prehunt study does pay off.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1862

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com