Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester 1885 High Wall Copies?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Maine USA
Winchester 1885 High Wall Copies?
      #78152 - 07/05/07 08:16 AM

Question for the pros: For financial reasons (and to help finance my homebuilt outside hammer double rifle projects) I just sold my Browning 1885 LoWall Hornet and new Win 1885 HiWall 25-35 rebore, and will be selling my last 2 Brownings HiWalls - 30-40 rechamber and 50-110 rebore. Though I like the thrubolt and factory D&T for scope, what I really wanted was a Win 1885 HiWall copy (w/original John M. Browning style internals), double sets, PG w/shotgun butt but couldn't really justify a Meacham or Ballard, C. Sharps didn't offer set triggers ... and the Brownings just kind of happened.

Last year instead of my new style Miroku HiWalls, I almost bought a Cimarron w/then new DST option, but neither Uberti nor Cimarron could promise a delivery date (for DST & PG) at that time. Now Buffalo Arms claims they can get one from shelf stock, and for a $1,000-. If I don't now buy a 30-40 replacement for my Brownings, it'll never happen, and for a $1,000- I like the look of the Cimmarons (especially the colorcase), and at moderate recoil levels can live with crescent butt I guess, but how are the new double set triggers? Everything I've read about the Ubertis has been positive, more so through Cimarron, and at that price ... if the double set triggers are decent, any experience?

Thanks, Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Winchester 1885 High Wall Copies? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #78166 - 07/05/07 10:19 PM

Joe, Just rebarreled a Uberti H/W to 30 Super. The action was a standard trigger model with about a 25lb pull. The originals were designed with a flat spring mounted forward of the action. The later H/Ws had a coil "mousetrap" spring. For whatever reason, Uberti chose to use both springs...hence, the Uberti design differs from the originals. My customer supplied a 22" Remington 30-06 barrel for the job, and when complete the rifle is almost tiny and weighs under 6 lbs.

Otto

KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
Re: Winchester 1885 High Wall Copies? [Re: Otto]
      #78249 - 09/05/07 04:03 AM

As Otto mentioned, the Uberti internals are a hybrid. The Meacham is also not per the originals; it is similar to the coil spring internals. I believe the Ballards are close replicas of the early flat spring models. I don't know about the C. Sharps, but the guys at the ASSRA most certainly will.

By the way, none of the original Winchester 1885's--except perhaps for the very first ones made--use "original John M. Browning style internals." Winchester engineers modified the design purchased from JMB, to make it easier to mass produce. I recall only a few hundred were made by JMB.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2556

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com