Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoing...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
David_Hulme
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/07
Loc: Zimbabwe
The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoing...
      #76745 - 17/04/07 08:08 AM

Hello all

Today was the first official hunting day on Humani, and I think it would be an understatement to say the 2007 season started with a bang. What a day it ended up being, with Captain Bob Kirwan of Cambridge, Maryland taking a super 160 pound leopard only a few hours into his hunt. Let me try and describe for you the sequence of events that led to the taking of that cat.

Captain Bob arrived yesterday with his hunting buddies Brent Sinclair and Rick. I have neglected to find out Rick’s surname which is unforgivable for a journalist. Sorry, I shall post it tomorrow. Anyhow, Captain Bob, Rick and Brent came to Humani to hunt leopard with Roger Whittall Safaris and PH’s Peter Wood, Lymon Chitimela and Guy Whittall. Also on this hunt is professional dog-handler Nico Lourens and cameraman Ryan Neil. Upon arriving in camp, the hunters were pleased to hear that there has been good leopard activity in the area. This was reported by PH Wood who had been doing pre-hunt groundwork and had placed several baits in likely spots. It was agreed upon that Captain Bob Lymon, and Guy would initially concentrate on leopard, whilst Rick and Pete went after buffalo. We don’t like to get in each other’s way when hunting here. Although this is highly unlikely when hunting 130 000 acres and having good coms between parties, we don’t like there to be any chance of it at all. As far as the leopard hunting goes, that is all irrelevant now, as Captain Bob’s cat is down and ‘in the salt’ as I write.

[URL= ][IMG]
Captain Bob Kirwan, Brent Sinclair and Guy Whittall with the Captain's superb leopard

[URL= ][IMG]
Some more team members

Before sunrise this morning, three hunting rigs moved out of Turgwe camp with one major objective: to locate fresh, large male leopard tracks. It wasn’t long before the Captain's team achieved this objective. Crossing the Turgwe River onto Bedford Block at first light, the hunters discovered leopard spoor – both relatively fresh and large. Calling Nico in on the radio, the dogs were soon put onto the spoor. Initially things did not go too smoothly – the spoor was not as fresh as suspected and it led away from the river into relatively open mopani country where the scent was weak. As Nico and his number one handler Marthiens spurred the strike dogs (April and Sammy) on, Lymon, Guy and trackers Jay and Nhamo did what they could to assist in keeping on the trail. This state of affirs lasted for one and a half hours until the spoor led the hunters back towards the Turgwe River. Down in the river valley, real confusion came about as the leopard crossed his own tracks from sometime before. Whilst the dogs worked this way and that uncertainly, the trackers fanned out to try and pick up the fresh spoor once more. A stroke of good fortune led Guy Whittall back to that spoor which led away from the river once more. This time the dogs took up the trail in earnest – it was much fresher now and the scent was heavy on the dew covered, riverine vegetation. Picking up momentum, April and Sammy were soon onto the cat in earnest and Nico released the support group comprising Tasha, Butch and Pepsi. The dogs were really hot at this stage, and trotting alongside them on one flank, Guy and tracker Jay came face to face with the leopard trying to depart the scene along a narrow game trail in the dense scrub! Guy, Jay and the leopard beat a hasty retreat, the cat giving a grunt as it went. Is it a grunt, that BO? Only a few minutes later, the dogs had the leopard treed in the fork of a large acacia tree, and shortly afterwards the hunters arrived on the scene. The leopard descended once but was quickly worked back into the tree by the dogs. The angle presented made it difficult to get a good look at the cat and the hunters worked their way cautiously and quietly into a better position. The different perspective made the men 100% sure that they had indeed treed the right cat and Captain Bob was given the go ahead. The Captain squeezed off a shot with his .375 H&H and 235 grains of Barnes triple shock struck the leopard solidly, a little far back but passing through the back of the lungs. The cat leaped from the tree and got into an almighty scuffle with the dogs in some seriously prohibitive lantana thorn scrub. The battle raged for a few minutes before Nico decided it was time for him to intervene, or to at least take a look. Crawling into the lantana with his shotgun, Nico assessed the situation for a full fifteen minutes, communicating with his incredible dogs the entire time. God knows what Nico really saw in there. In time, Nico decided to call it quits, lest one of his dogs be killed. Although the leopard would surely die from Captain Bob’s shot, there was no point in prolonging the affair, for the sake of the dogs and for the sake of the leopard. Nico crawled in closer, and when offered a clear shot, killed the leopard. It was over.

[URL= ][IMG]
Captain Bob and Guy Whittall with the cat

[URL= ][IMG]
What we commonly refer to as a 'horse' of a leopard

[URL= ][IMG]

Crossing the Turgwe en route to camp

[URL= ][IMG]

What a way to kick off the hunting season eh? Captain Bob Kirwan is not known as first day Bob for nothing. Yes, it has happened to Bob before, a couple of times with other cats. Throughout the chase, cameraman Ryan Neal was on the spot and he got some excellent footage. The hunt ended with the hunters crossing the Turgwe River on foot in order to reach camp, which was not too far from where the action went down. It was a most fitting end to the hunt, with tracker Jay carrying the brute leopard on his shoulders and the hunting dogs fanned out around that man as they forded the river together. When I spoke to those concerned earlier, all any of them could do was sing the praises of Nico’s highly proficient dog pack. I have no doubt that those dogs deserve every accolade.

This has been written in a hurry as I am off to camp now to join this hunt as a number two cameraman. Yes, my season has also started, thank the hunting Gods! I’m sure this write-up is full of mistakes and that there are things I’ve missed, but shall try to brush it up a bit at a later stage. Tomorrow, Pete, Rick, Brent, Nico, Ryan and the hounds will be after leopard, and Guy, Captain Bob, Lymon and I will try our luck with buffalo. I shall keep you posted…….

Dave

PS Jimmy is doing well...

Edited by David_Hulme (23/04/07 07:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David_Hulme
.275 member

Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoing... [Re: David_Hulme]
      #76746 - 17/04/07 08:11 AM

DAY TWO

Thank you all for your comments.

Before I get into day two, a word about yesterday's report. As I mentioned, it was a bit of a rushed report and not done exactly as I would have liked. My one major blunder was that I neglected to emphasize the role that professional hunter Lymon Chitimela played in the taking of the leopard. Lymon has a great understanding of leopard hunting and was present throughout yesterday's action, his input considerable. Lymon will be hunting with Captain Bob's team throughout this fourteen day hunt. We have also been promised the company of our very own Mr Roger Whittall himself, for a couple of days when his hectic workload allows. We are all looking forward to hunting with this African hunting legend, if only for a short while. Still regarding yesterday's report, Rick's full name is Rick Rice.

Well, I officially joined the hunt early this morning, riding with Captain Bob's team initially, and moving onto Rick's team later in the day. I have been signed on as a number two cameraman, which suits me 100%. I couldn't care if I was on the team as a water bearer, I just need to hunt!
Anyway, we did not concentrate specifically on buffalo as I mentioned we probably would - we left camp this morning with open minds. Everyone's primary objective right now is to get a good leopard for Rick, and we headed out in opposite directions before dawn, to check baits and seek out promising spoor. Everyone struck out, and by 8 a.m. we received the information that Pete and Rick were tracking some buffalo on Bedford Block. 8 a.m. is already too late to put hounds on leopard spoor, and the hunters grasped the opportunity when they chanced upon the fresh buff tracks. Whilst Rick, Pete and co tracked the buffalo, we enjoyed a very pleasant drive around Humani proper, through an area known as Jurus which is teeming with plainsgame. Although we saw a heap of game, we are biding our time for there is no rush. Captain Bob took a couple of impala baits for Rick, and whilst we trundled back to camp for lunch, Pete radiod to let us know that Rick had taken an excellent buffalo bull.

[URL= ][IMG]

Rick and his bull

Over lunch, we got the rundown from Rick and Pete, and watched the great footage that Ryan managed to capture. As mentioned, Rick's team had got onto the spoor of a small herd (roughly 15) at about 8 a.m. In that herd was a bull that left a sizeable imprint. The buff had been scared by some lions on the Turgwe and were moving fairly fast. The trail led the hunters away from the river and into a vast fever tree forest, which is one of Bedford's many scenic attractions. The tracking session lasted approximately one and a half hours, and then the hunters came up on the herd. The buffalo were strung out and moving through the trees across the hunters' front. They were walking purposefully, but the wind was okay and they were not unduly alarmed. The men assumed the buff were still trying to put as much distance between themselves and the lions as possible. What they didn't realize was that this was a splinter group and they were en route to joining up with a much larger herd which was not far off. That was only made known when the action began and the bigger herd bombshelled. Anyhow, As the buffalo passed by, Pete scanned them thoroughly until he saw what he was looking for. The bovines had no intention of stopping and so Pete brought them to a halt with a low whistle. Broadside on they stood, at about 60 yards, the targeted bull slightly angled towards the hunters with kill zone unobstructed. Rick was already up on the sticks and did not hesitate, letting drive and striking the intended point, where neck meets shoulder. The slug exited the far shoulder and the bull blundered off with its buddies into the trees. Rick employed the infamous Texas heart shot, and perfectly spined, the bull collapsed like a felled heavyweight boxer. It was a brilliant display of heavy calibre offhand marksmanship - the shot about eighty yards and many trees for the bullet to negotiate its way between. An insurance shot and it was done. The bull measured 40 inches with 15 inch bosses and a typically huge Humani torso.

This afternoon we placed a number of leopard baits in likely areas and we are hoping for a good hit tonight. Relevant toasts were made over dinner this evening. We are doing well, with two wonderful trophies taken in two days. Although everyone present has plenty of hunting experience and we understand that anything could happen during the next twelve days, we are not so quietly optimistic!

I believe that tomorrow is going to be another fantastic day. I shall keep you posted.

Edited by David_Hulme (23/04/07 07:21 AM)

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoing... [Re: David_Hulme]
      #76802 - 18/04/07 01:54 AM

What a lovely putty tat!
And that bull ain't bad either!

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #76804 - 18/04/07 02:31 AM

David:
come on man! get with it! this is no time to be slacking off, it's hunting season damnit! lol
Just funnin' with ya .....two days and two great trophies!
well done! and you gotta just love the nearly live reporting, letting us all in on the excitement on a damn near real time basis.

Thanks Loads and wishing your camp continued success!

stay alert and keep up the great work!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoin [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #76827 - 18/04/07 04:35 AM

Quote:

... and you gotta just love the nearly live reporting, letting us all in on the excitement on a damn near real time basis.

I love these "live" hunting reports.

What will happen tommorrow?!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoin [Re: NitroX]
      #76847 - 18/04/07 11:10 AM

Beautiful leopard and excellent buffalo! Great job everyone!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #76848 - 18/04/07 11:33 AM

Great blow by blow reporting!!

Wonder what heavy caliber Rick was shooting?
A neck shot and a Texas heart shot yet!!

I get excited just reading about it!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

David_Hulme
.275 member

Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoing... [Re: hoppdoc]
      #76961 - 19/04/07 09:56 AM

Day Three

[URL= ]

Morning!!! Tracker Isaac roused us at 4 a.m. and he sounded enthusiastic, as always. It took me a few seconds to orientate myself and then I was wide awake and dressing. It is not very difficult to get myself going on a hunting day.

Coffee was gulped by the cupful and 30 minutes later we were on the road. Obviously, our primary objective remains Rick’s leopard, and we were determined to put in the hours this morning. The plan remained basically as it was the previous day – Rick and Pete would work the Humani side of the river, whilst the other two trucks worked Bedford. The Captain’s team was to cover the top end of Bedford, and Nico’s team would concentrate on the area between the drift and the Save River. The Turgwe is effectively baited on both sides for a long stretch – we are looking for another large river leopard like Captain Bob’s fine specimen.

As with the previous day, we didn’t come upon anything promising enough to even contemplate following. Until about 7.30 that is, when a gamescout reported a leopard spoor sighting. All converged on the loc-stat as fast as possible, to assess the situation. We were already running late – it gets hot early at this time of the year. The spoor appeared promising and the strike dogs were put down. Various handlers, trackers and PH’s spent a good hour scouting about the vicinity, trying to make sense of the erratic jumble of spoor – that of the leopard and that of many, many other animals. As the team set about their work, Roger Whittall arrived on the scene. He had decided to take time out and join us for the day’s hunting. Needless to say, his input was invaluable. In time, it was realized that the scenario was a long shot and last ditch efforts were made to pick up a fresh trail leading from the river. Eventually it was determined that the tracks were not as fresh as initially assumed and Nico called the operation off. All were confused – dogs and people and it is never a good idea to try and follow up when uncertainty prevails. What is needed is a definite point from where the dogs can confidently progress, and that point could not be located in this instance. All was not lost, however, as a gamescout reported seeing two dagga boy buffalo bulls, when scouting about upstream for leopard tracks. Roger joined the Captain’s team and they headed off to investigate the buff sighting, whilst Rick’s crew went in search of a zebra, to replenish our baits and provide a rug for Rick’s home. Leopards cannot resist zebra meat and zebra hides make fine rugs. Though the buffalo hunters lucked out in dense lantana thorn scrub and shifting wind, Rick connected with a zebra, or two.

Rick, Pete, Isaac, Rindai and I made our way towards the top end of Bedford, across the main road and up to the Mokore River. This is a good plainsgame area and is usually teeming with zebra and wildebeest. Of course, since we were looking for zebra, it was only teeming with wildebeest on today! Such is hunting. Rick took a bait impala ram with a fine shot (through stick whilst seated on the ground), but two hours later we were still doing the zebra rounds and running out of steam. It was midday and hot by the time we spotted zebra far off through the trees. Isaac drove the vehicle away and we began an approach, cutting an angle and trying to work with the wind. The zebra spooked and cantered off deeper into the bush. We plugged away, picking up their tracks and moving on those tracks at pace. After a couple of kilometers, we sort of gave up but decided to walk a different route back, hoping to bump another herd along the way. Not fifteen minutes later, this is exactly what happened and we found ourselves in a favorable position with a small herd walking obliviously across our front at about 60 yards. Though the zebra were behind bush, they were headed towards a small clearing and Rick prepared himself for action. First to step out into the clearing was a stallion and Pete gave Rick the go ahead. Bobbing its head jerkily, the stallion walked out into the clearing and stopped, presenting a perfect opportunity. Rick’s .270 Winchester talked and the stallion buckled, before galloping off into cover. There were a number of zebra bomb-shelling in different directions, and from the small thicket that the stallion disappeared into, exited another zebra at full tilt. All of us assumed it was the stallion – the timing and angle were all perfect. Rick once again employed the Texas heart shot exquisitely and the target nosedived in a large puff of dust. There was back-slapping and laughter until we realized that the dead zebra was a mare, and that the stallion lay stone dead about 20 metres off. Then there was even more back-slapping and laughter! A double duba (zebra) for Rick! Sure, a little mistake has been made, but it is certainly not an issue. We have thousands of zebras here and now Rick has two rugs!

Later in the afternoon, we replenished baits and kept our eyes open for exceptional plainsgame trophies. We kept our eyes open, but it is obvious that nobody is going to think of much else until we get a leopard for Rick. There was much positive talk over dinner about tomorrow morning. We know we are going to connect with another large leopard soon – there are many leopards in this area and it’s only a matter of time. We don’t want to hang about waiting though – conditions are ideal and leopard hunting can be extremely difficult when they are not. Ask me, I have accompanied many leopard hunts in my time, with dogs and otherwise. I have seen great cats procured and I have seen failure and disappointment. There is a fine line between good and bad leopard hunting conditions and we want to get Rick’s leopard down whilst we are running hot, early on in this hunt. We retire early. We need to be fresh and alert in the morning.

Edited by David_Hulme (19/04/07 10:03 AM)

David_Hulme
.275 member

#76962 - 19/04/07 10:01 AM

Hello there

I am very sorry, but I have run out of steam and can't get day 4 as I want it right now. I shall take a couple of hours off hunting and post the story tomorrow. In the meantime, I am posting some photos from the day. Believe me when I say it was an action-packed day!

Goodnight
Dave

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Sorry - poor photo taken after dark, will get better ones in the morning

[URL= ][IMG]

Edited by David_Hulme (19/04/07 10:04 AM)

David_Hulme
.275 member

#77011 - 19/04/07 10:31 PM

DAY FOUR

Day four dawned as it always does over the Turgwe River – with unparalleled raw splendor. For various reasons, we left camp 30 minutes later than usual and the scarlet smudge of dawn already capped the eastern mountains as we drove the river road, down towards the drift. I was riding the Captain’s rig which was the last to depart camp. At the main road junction, we came across Rick and Pete parked by the roadside. It turned out that a leopard had hit one of Pete’s baits the night before, and that they were waiting for the light to strengthen before making a spoor assessment. We too decided to wait.

Fifteen minutes later, Pete and Isaac confirmed that the leopard was a big male and Nico was summoned on the radio. At about the same time, a leopard was heard grunting from a kopje not far off. The build-up was electric and I was almost quivering with excitement. Once Nico, Marthiens and the dogs arrived, it was all systems go, with the strike dogs wasting no time and moving quickly on the trail. The leopard’s route took us back to the road, the large pugmarks distinct in the soft gravel. I knew that this was it, and then a spanner was thrown in the works. Although hunting curveballs frustrate us so much at the time, when we reflect I think we are all able to agree that that is what it’s all about. It would be much less fun if there wasn’t an occasional kink in the road, the odd blind-rise, don’t you think? Anyway, this curveball comes in the form of a female leopard, which teamed up with the male at some stage during the night. The spoor was this way and that and Nico called Marthiens and the strike dogs back, so that he could thoroughly appraise the situation and formulate a gameplan. Enough cannot be said about the professionalism of these dog handlers and their dogs. When Nico or Marthiens summon them, the dogs come in, no matter how hot the trail they are on. The communication and understanding between these men and the hounds is absolutely mind-boggling. Hanging around close to Nico throughout the time of temporary confusion, I was witness to this extraordinary relationship, with Nico keeping us regularly updated as to what the hounds were saying and doing! As stated, mind-boggling. I have nothing but praise for this team – they are thoroughly professional in all respects and highly competent.

It turns out to be just as well that Nico called in his strike dogs, because tracks subsequently indicated that they were onto the female. As the trackers worked the roadside trying to pick up a point on the male’s trail from which the dogs could work, a leopard grunted again, from the same kopje as earlier. It grunted from the direction the dogs were initially headed, and after conferring, Nico and Pete were in doubt that the vocal cat was the female. Shortly afterwards, this was confirmed 100% when Jay the tracker found the male’s spoor heading off in the opposite direction, into dense bush, back down towards the river. All of this did not take very long – 30 minutes max – and then April and Sammy were onto the male in a big way, moving fast into the thick stuff. PH Wood, Marthiens and trackers Isaac and Rindai disappeared into the scrub after the dogs and were soon swallowed up and out of sight. Although they obviously didn’t move as fast as the dogs, they were just as determined and Pete’s shredded legs would later tell the tale fairly effectively! Though the rest of us followed at a more sedate pace, we still had a hard time negotiating the clinging riverine. But that was the difference you see – we were actually negotiating whilst negotiation was far from the minds of the forward runners. Striding along in single file behind Nico, we were kept up to scratch (no pun intended!) as Marthiens and the dogs informed the boss of progress. It was not long before Marthiens told Nico that April and Sammy were onto the leopard – really onto it and needing support. David the number two handler and PH Lymon released the back-up dogs and they streaked in to lend their support. The dogs bayed the cat for a few minutes in a large sausage tree (kigilia africana) and we moved in as fast as possible, Rick at Nico’s shoulder, rifle gripped firmly. Just as we arrived on the scene and hooked up with Pete and Marthiens, the leopard emitted a spine-tingling snarl and flashed from the tree, evaporating into the lantana. The dogs were onto it again in seconds and forced it up into another tree. We moved in purposefully but quietly, keeping low and no longer feeling the thorns tearing our flesh. The situation was far too exciting for pain or discomfort to enter the equation! Led in by Pete and Nico, we sneaked in as close as possible, adrenaline pounding. Though the leopard was no further than thirty yards from us, it still took the hunters a little time to pick it out, flattened out on a limb and growling at the dogs below. Nico pointed the cat out to Rick and two seconds later, Nick shot it perfectly through the shoulders. The leopard dropped from the tree like a sack of potatoes and was dead before it hit the ground. Rick Rice is an incredible rifle shot – though the shot was hardly a long one, there was much brush and stick to contend with and Rick placed his bullet impeccably.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGWE!!!!! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGWE!!!!! The cries echoed through the bush as the trackers and handlers let it be known that the cat was down and out. Jubilation ensued, with Rick receiving almost as much praise as the dogs. What an amazing pack of hounds this is. Within the space of 4 days they have brought two big leopards to book and not one of them suffered a scratch. And it’s not as if they’ve held off at all – both encounters involved baying the cat for extended periods in seriously prohibitive bush. This is a smoking hot unit, perfectly synchronized. Nico Lourens says that it is all about control – if a handler has complete control of his hounds, mistakes and injury are kept to a minimum.

As a result of this hunt, I intend to write a very pro dog hunting article in the near future. I have been meaning to do this for a long time, as I know that dog hunting has received a bad rap from uninformed writers in recent times. I believe it is important for people to understand the truth about hunting leopard with hounds and I am determined to do my bit as far as that is concerned. To say that I was impressed by the way operations were carried out on these two leopard hunts would be a gross understatement. I have received a real education, of that there is no doubt. I hope to hunt again with Nico, Marthiens and their awesome pack, but I know that it will not happen again until next year. We have finished dog hunting on Humani for 2007 and we wrapped it up in 4 days. The rest of our leopard quota will probably be taken from blinds. We have accounted for 2 huge river cats that have eluded hunters for some time, and that, as you well know, is a very good thing. More males will now move into those territories. Control is what it is all about.

Late in the evening of day 4, Captain Bob and his crew placed a sweet cherry on proceedings by taking a great dagga boy at last light. After an hour long follow-up through mopani forest away from the river, the hunters came up on two dagga boys along a wending little sand tributary of the Turgwe. The captain made an excellent lung shot on one of the bulls and, mortally hit, it did not go far before stopping. Whilst following up, all that concerned the hunters was the waning light. Fortunately, they were able to espy the bull before darkness descended completely, and the Captain administered a flawless coup de grace. I was not there when the Captain took his bull and still need to brush up on a few details, but apparently it all went like clockwork. We are a really content group of hunters right now and who wouldn’t be? Today is the fifth day and we have taken two typically hefty Humani dagga boys and two fantastic leopards. All is well at Turgwe Camp and we are looking forward to more exciting hunting in the 10 days to come. I have no doubt that we shall procure some excellent plainsgame trophies during that time. I shall keep you posted.

[URL= ][IMG]

The Captain's 'bruiser' dagga boy

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Two grizzled dagga boys

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Captain Bob and Brent Sinclair rubbing up our orphaned rhino Jimmy the right way

[URL= ][IMG]

Oh no, he's not going to beat me up again is he?

Edited by David_Hulme (21/04/07 05:34 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoin [Re: David_Hulme]
      #77022 - 19/04/07 11:45 PM

Quote:

I am very sorry, but I have run out of steam ...

Hey David. Don't apologise, you are a dynamo. Lots of good stories in the last few weeks. Take your time to get it right. You can always edit later as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoin [Re: NitroX]
      #77026 - 20/04/07 12:53 AM

are you kidding me ,,,, if these things arent spell checked dont post them!!! LMAO!

just kiddin' David ,,,,, this stuff is GREAT! hell I think I have scratches on my shins from following along through the thick stuff!

Please keep up the reporting whenever you can, you have to know that a lot of us are living vicariously through you and your camp....I told one of my friends that we bagged a leopard and buff and he looked at me like I was nuts until I explained that by "I" I meant a fellow member of a board I frequent is keeping us up to date on a real African Safari! he thought it was a pretty slick deal,,,, he has no idea !

keep it up please!

thanks

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

David_Hulme
.275 member

Re: The first hunting day of 2007: 160 pound leopard. Ongoin [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #77161 - 21/04/07 06:27 AM

Good day

Lunchtime, Day 6

I was going through day 4's post last night and saw how badly it was done. I'm sorry - writing is not priority 1 at this point in time! Anyhow, I have brushed it up a little and got the tenses right this time, I think. On to the hunt.....

Day five was a very relaxed day, as has been day six, so far. We have been scouting about all over Humani - driving and walking - and have seen a lot of game, but nothing has been taken since the last leopard. It is a good thing - everyone is having a wind down after all the excitement. There is still work to be done but there is now plenty of time at our disposal. Advised by his PH's, the Captain turned down several kudu bulls yesterday evening, and Rick did the same this morning. The biggest seen by Pete and Rick was about 54 inches and they are holding out for something better. In Pete's words - 'that is a second last day bull!' Rick has also passed up a couple of decent waterbuck bulls. We haven't seen a really great bushbuck yet, but it is bound to happen at any time. This morning I hunted with Pete and Rick, and we spotted two kudu bulls sparring at a waterhole. The fight had everything to do with a small herd of young girls that were hanging around close by. It was a grand sighting and I managed to get it all on video. We also saw a python whilst walking through the bush. It was not overly large, probably about eight foot. I must head off back to camp now, I'm sure things are going to hot up again sometime soon.

An aside: Two buffalo and two leopard have just become available here in the Save Conservancy. Another operator who we sometimes deal with has had a big cancellation. If anyone is interested in hunting one or more of these animals, please email me or send a private message and I'll give you more details. The deal is very reasonable and I think it's a great opportunity. The area is A1 and there would also be plainsgame available.

Cheers,
Dave

I enjoyed a super afternoon hunting with Rick Rice, PH Peter Wood and tracker Isaac. Getting the wind just right, we walked a fair distance throught the remarkable block of land that is known as Bedford. Starting at a point close to the middle of Bedford, we worked our way through fever tree and mopani forest down towards the Save/Turgwe junction. Along the way, we surprised a massive waterbuck (Pete reckons 30" plus), and that buck played cat and mouse with us till sundown. Three times we bumped the buck, and three times he gave us the slip. We were treated to a remarkable display of tracking by Isaac and Pete, over hard, grass-covered and imprint unreceptive earth. It was quite a spectacle I must say.

An inquistive young elephant bull disturbed the tracking session later on this evening, and I managed to get some cool footage of the hunters in the foreground and the elephant in the background with ears splayed. Time ultimately called the shots and we were forced to abandon pursuit of the waterbuck at sundown. We shall be taking up where we left off early tomorrow morning and I just know we are going to get this buck. He is a very worthy specimen and well worth the effort. We could go out and find another, but we are all determined to get this particular trophy.

The Captain and his team got onto some kudu bulls once again, and the Captain very nearly took one of them. Circumstance dictated, however, and a shot was not taken. We shall see what the morrow brings on the kudu/waterbuck front.

Goodnight. I don't know about any of you, but I am going to sleep well. I shall send you some more pictures tomorrow - just general photos of the camp and area, and maybe a trophy pic or two, depending on how the day pans out...

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#77162 - 21/04/07 07:09 AM

David:

Thanks for the update, I will look forward to reading your posts and viewing the photos when I return to the board on Monday AM. Sounds like you are having a great time.

GET THAT BUCK!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

David_Hulme
.275 member

#77249 - 23/04/07 12:01 PM

DAY EIGHT

[URL= ][IMG]

Hello Again

We have been hunting fairly hard the past couple of days – starting to build up momentum again. Whilst the captain’s crew has been working the Humani side of the river (south), Rick, Pete and company have spent all their time on Bedford, searching for the monster waterbuck and keeping an eye out for a good kudu or bushbuck. Frustratingly, the waterbuck in question has remained elusive and the plan is to hunt another area tomorrow.

I have spent most of the time with the waterbuck hunters, whilst Ryan Neal has been the journalist on the Captain’s truck. Pete Wood and tracker Rindai have kept Rick and me on the move and we have covered a lot of ground. We have been working a rugged chunk of land close to the Save/Turgwe junction mostly, with a couple of forays up the Turgwe today. The bush is super dense due to the late rains and nowhere is it denser than in the area we have been hunting. It makes it challenging and that is good.

The waterbuck ended up leading us on a merry chase for what eventually amounted to almost 3 full hunting days. This buck resides in a particular area, and as we worked that area over thoroughly, we came across his tracks often. We never did see him again though, since the last sighting on the afternoon of day 6. I guess he didn’t become a monster by being blasé. We spent about 4 hours in a giant jackal berry tree yesterday afternoon, in a location which the bull’s tracks crisscross and which he appears to frequent often. No joy but plenty of discomfort for Rick and me. PH Wood and Rindai seemed to be in their element (natural habitat!). Wood in the woods. Anyway, the ambush was in vain and after a short skirmish about the vicinity this morning we decided to give the buck a break for a couple of days and go walk the Turgwe in search of a kudu or bushbuck, or giant waterbuck bull….

The walk yielded no trophies but we saw a fair amount of game and almost took a kudu bull once again. As was the first bull we turned down, this bull was about 53 or 54 inches. It was a difficult decision to make, but we still have a week’s hunting time remaining and are holding out for something bigger. The kudu are in rut at the moment and the bull we got the drop on was a most impressive specimen – in his prime with wide-splayed horns and a heavily engorged neck. He was feeding off some scrub not forty yards from us – senses dulled and defenses lowered because of girls on the brain. Many of us know what that’s all about, right? It was very tempting but temptation was resisted and after a few minutes enjoying the spectacle, the bull noticed our presence and disappeared into the bush, barking loudly as he went. Rick gave a wry smile. Heading back to camp at lunchtime, we came across a 35 pound lone elephant bull and got some good footage and pictures. I have not yet downloaded the elephant pictures but will post them soon.

We saw two more kudu bulls this afternoon, but both were smaller than the one seen this morning. We also spotted a couple of bushbuck rams but one had a broken horn and the other was a spiky. Other game seen included nyala cows and a magnificent bull, waterbuck cows and young bulls, several female bushbuck, and the usual wildebeest, zebra, impala and kudu cows. Driving slowly through Bedford this evening, we came upon a herd of approximately 80 buffalo, wallowing in a pan close to the roadside.

Captain Bob, Lymon and Guy have turned also turned down kudu bulls – a few more than us actually. As they tell it, most have been between 50 and 53 inches. By turning down these bulls we are not trying to suggest that a 52/53/54 inch kudu is not good enough. No way – a 50 inch kudu is a fine bull and we all know that. The thing is that the Captain and Rick are only after a few select plainsgame trophies and we are all striving to get them the best trophies possible. As stated, we have time. We don’t want to leave things too late, but believe that there is still no need to rush events. Essentially, we have 2 kudu, 1 bushbuck, 1 waterbuck and 1 warthog to account for, and we have one week to achieve this.

This morning, Lymon and Guy took the Captain to a very special gomo (kopje) on Humani known as Chifanurgwe. This kopje is the highest on Humani and is held dear by the Whittall family for a number of reasons. When James Whittall (Roger’s father) passed away, the entire Whittall clan (dozens of them) ascended this kopje to honor that man. Walking around the base of the Chifanurgwe, the hunters came across a large kudu bull with a most impressive rank. Captain Bob turned that kudu down, not his PH’s. Everyone was somewhat confused as it was pointed out to the Captain that the bull was a fine specimen – probably the best seen so far. I guess the Captain has his own reasons for turning that bull down. He did mention to me this evening that it was eerily quiet around Chifanurgwe Kopje…..

From Chifanurgwe, the Captain’s crew drove to the Jurus plains to seek out a zebra for their skipper. Bumbling around the acacia sprinkled grasslands for a while, it was not long before the hunters bumped into a small herd of zebra and initiated a stalk. The stalk became prolonged as the wind was jinxing about a bit and the zebra were on the move, alerted to the presence of pursuers. Eventually the Captain took a very long shot at a stallion – about 200 yards. The stallion raced off over the open ground and collapsed stone dead after about 30 yards. It was a great shot and all present were suitably impressed.

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

When I joined this hunt on the second day, I signed up as the number two cameraman. Grateful thanks to the Captain and Rick who have since elevated my status to hunting journal writer/producer. Now I am truly in my element….

I hope you are all having a good day

Dave

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #77250 - 23/04/07 12:18 PM

Excellent report!

Is Lymon the fellow who was working as a driver for Roger and had previously worked for Pete Wood as a tracker? His English is the best of any tracker that I have met. Does he still carry that ratty .404 by Cogswell & Harrison?

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#77276 - 24/04/07 03:22 AM

Too bad about that waterbuck David, but from what we read in your great reports, I am sure that there will be a nice trophy being photographed and written about very soon.

Please keep us up to date,,,splendid reading material!

thanks,
DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

David_Hulme
.275 member

#77368 - 25/04/07 06:41 AM

DAY TEN

Good day

We have been hunting kudu and bushbuck the past couple of days. The kudu are coming into rut now and bulls are beginning to materialize from the woodwork – we are seeing more and more each day. A kudu bull is an impressive sight at any time, but right now they look most spectacular, all puffed up with engorged necks and acting hard. On a couple of occasions, we have observed bulls dueling over cows – pitting pushing strength and clattering horns. We have seen many kudu bulls but not as many bushbuck rams as we would have liked. Yesterday evening, however, Rick connected with a fine bushbuck that measured 15 inches. Unfortunately, the picture that I am posting was taken by me back at camp after dark. Rick took photos with his camera earlier, but I cannot download from his memory card. I’ll make a plan and send the better pictures ASAP. Rick was using his .270 again, and made a perfect lung-shot on the buck.

[URL= ][IMG]

I went out hunting with Captain Bob’s team this morning. As we were crossing the Turgwe drift at sunrise, the Captain spotted spiral horns in amongst a small group of young waterbuck bulls, on a sandbar about 500 metres upstream. It was confirmed that the horns did indeed belong to a big kudu bull and a stalk was initiated. Stalking through the head-high reeds that line the riverbank, we closed the gap rapidly. The kudu and waterbuck were across the river from us, and given no other choice, the Captain was forced to take a long shot over the water. Later we ranged it at 197 yards. The lone kudu bull knew that something was amiss and began walking towards the bush-line as Lymon set up the shooting sticks. Guy called out over the river and the kudu stopped, looking back over its shoulder at us. With the bull quartering away, the Captain let drive, hitting exactly where intended – just in front of the hips. Propelled by 300 grains, the Swift A Frame slug angled through the bull’s length, exiting the left shoulder. The bull hunched tellingly before leaping off into the brush and dying within 30 yards. In fact, that bull died as the Captain’s bullet hit it. It just didn’t realize it was dead until it covered 30 yards. It was a great shot and the Captain was deservedly rewarded – the bull measured an excellent 55 inches. Captain Bob is well pleased with his classic shape kudu trophy and so he should be. We too are well pleased with the Skipper’s trophy. I am posting a few pictures of the Captain’s kudu, from different perspectives.

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Monster waterbuck are laying low but nobody is overly concerned about it at this stage. After being led on a merry dance by that huge waterbuck a few days ago, Rick is only interested in taking something similar and something similar will be hard to find. No matter – as stated nobody is under any pressure to do anything right now. We are just cruising along, picking off the few plainsgame trophies that the Captain and Rick want. Rick took a wildebeest bull this evening with another perfect shot and high spirits are the order of the day. Actually, high spirits have been the order of this entire hunt. Rick does really want a kudu bull and the Captain may take a bushbuck if we come across a big one, but other than that and possibly a warthog or two, the hunt is concluded. There are still 5 days remaining and it is highly probable that we spend at least one of those days fishing. The Captain is the only one not too keen of the fishing. Earlier on today, he growled that he has spent 35 years at sea on a fishing boat and doesn’t really feel the need to be in another boat at this stage! The Captain is a funny man and great fun to be around. We are having a fantastic hunt.

The elephant bull taken by Richard Tabor’s client in Chewore weighed in officially at 66 and 60 pounds respectively! Think about that, all those who say Chewore no longer produces big elephant. I shall get details and photographs when I begin a hunt with Richard in about a week’s time. Probably only be able to get the photos to you a couple of weeks after that, as the hunt is in the Zambezi Valley and there is no broadband internet there! Hang on – the chances are I’ll team up with Rich in Harare the day before we drive out together and I’ll try to post the ele pictures then. And the lion pictures of course.

Throughout this thread, I have failed to mention that the Captain, Rick and Brent have another hunting buddy named Jeff who is also hunting with RWS at this time. He is hunting with PH Magara Dirapenga in Chewore. News from Chewore has been erratic and I have only had a thorough update recently. The news is that Jeff has taken a buffalo, leopard, kudu, waterbuck and bushbuck, and that they are all good trophies. Again, I shall post pictures ASAP.

This hunt is winding down, as is this thread. I shall submit another update or two and then I shall take you across the country, to the Zambezi Valley, where I will be accompanying an elephant bull hunt. Unforunately, I will only be able to post the report of that hunt upon its conclusion. I hope you are enjoying these hunt reports - I am trying to make them as bearable as possible. I should get better as time goes.

Good hunting friends

Dave

Edited by David_Hulme (25/04/07 06:54 AM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#77369 - 25/04/07 06:52 AM

Great Report David and the Captain took a great looking Kudu!.... Compliments and Congatulations are in order!

So we are off for Elephant next....better pack a bag and get ready.

Looking forward to more great photos and reports.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

David_Hulme
.275 member

#77528 - 27/04/07 02:04 PM

DAY ELEVEN

[URL= ][IMG]

Good day

You guys thought you’d lost me eh? No such luck I’m afraid. Did I write that this hunt was winding down yesterday? My apologies – nothing could be further from the truth, if the events of today are anything to go by.

Later than usual this morning, with no pressure whatsoever (as if there ever was any), the hunters set out with nothing particular in mind. Rick still wanted a kudu but that was about it, unless a monster waterbuck or hog put in an appearance. And, well, with five days still to go as of this morning…..

Anyway, a monster hog did put in an appearance and the Captain dispatched it with an incredible offhand shot through brush. What a trophy it is, with one tusk going 15 inches and the other just shy. The warthog was encountered whilst the Captain and his guides were making a slow stalk down the Turgwe River, along a stretch where much warthog sign has recently been observed. The hog was in relatively thick bush and heading into thicker stuff. The Skipper knew he didn’t have any time to waste, and not even waiting for the sticks he shouldered his rifle and let fly, hitting the huge hog flush on the shoulder. What a rush and what a monster warthog.

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

Rick and Pete also stayed at the party today, taking a fine 53 inch kudu bull. Rick has been holding out for something a little bigger, but who in his right mind is going to turn down the bull he took this morning? I don’t know whether Rick will be pleased to know that he has been adjudged right of mind by this somewhat unbalanced scribe! The taking of the kudu bull meant more than taking another great trophy to Rick, for it was trailed from the very same pan that the hunters tracked Rick’s buffalo bull from about a week ago. At midmorning today, Rick, Pete and co found themselves in fever tree alley not far from said pan, and decided to detour slightly and check spoor at the pan. The detour resulted in the discovery of extremely fresh kudu bull spoor, and even though the tracking was not going to be easy, they decided to give it a bash. With Rindai and Pete working together, progress was made on the lone bull and they came up on him within two kilometers. From sixty yards the bull stared at the men, presenting a full frontal, his chest exposed above brush. Pete informed Rick that it would go 53/54 inches and Rick’s .270 had its say again, the bullet striking the bull where neck meets chest. Done and dusted and another excellent trophy was added to those already taken on this fantastic safari.

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

This afternoon, chill mode really set in and the hunters enjoyed a leisurely afternoon tea session with Roger and Anne Whittall, and Jimmy the rhino. Earlier on, the Captain, Rick and Brent were introduced to another orphan – buffy the buffalo. Yeah, I know the name is not very original but I am not to blame for that one!

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

I wonder what will be in store tomorrow. Something, I’m sure….

Goodnight
Dave

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#77543 - 28/04/07 02:11 AM

Great photos and copy!
that warthog is teh real deal!

thanks for the report,,, good to see you back!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#77831 - 02/05/07 03:42 AM

David:
long time, no report!
Hope all is well in camp and the trophies are all being packaged for shipping.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4465

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com