Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
David_Hulme
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/07
Loc: Zimbabwe
A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope
      #76559 - 15/04/07 05:38 AM

Good day to you all

I write to tell you of a terrible tragedy, and of a little ray of hope which resulted from that tragedy. Once you read the gist of this note, I’m sure you’ll all appreciate that I cannot tell you half of what I’d like to, due to the ongoing investigation that is taking place. I shall tell you what I can.

As some of you will already know, we in the Save Conservancy have lost several rhino to poaching in recent times. It is believed that all the killings have been the work of one man – a highly efficient professional rhino poacher. Over the Easter weekend, this bastard struck again, killing a female rhino on Humani, where I work.

Due to various factors (including the professionalism of the poacher), the rhino carcass was only discovered 4 or so days after the incident took place. I was off Humani at the time and therefore did not attend the scene on the day the discovery was made. But I conducted a follow-up operation the following day with some of our gamescouts, to thoroughly scour the area for evidence. Unfortunately, rain had long since washed away all traces. Whilst the scouts searched in the immediate vicinity of the carcass, I walked further into the mopani, hoping to come across I knew not what, but praying for a clue of any sort. I found no clue that may help lead us to the killer, but I did find something very special.

After walking a large semi circle through the vast mopani forest for about 30 minutes or so, I decided to return to the carcass and see how the other guys were getting on. On the way back, a few hundred meters from the carcass, I walked onto a baby rhino. We were well aware of the fact that the poached rhino had a very young calf (roughly six weeks), but the general consensus was that the calf had long since been eaten by lions, which are plentiful in that area. An abundance of fresh lion spoor strengthened that reasoning.

Of course, I was greatly surprised when I rounded a clump of bush and discovered the calf, lying on its side, staring wide-eyed up at me. My first thought was that it was dead, but then it blinked. Hardly pausing in my stride, I walked on, soon picking up pace and reaching the scouts in a fairly breathless state. The reason I did this was that I didn’t know how strong the calf was and didn’t want to lose it in the dense forest. It had already been alive about 5 days and I knew it wouldn’t last many more. As it was, it was an absolute miracle it had survived that long. Returning slowly to the place with two gamescouts, we converged on the calf from all sides. I approached from the front, whilst the scouts covered potential flight-paths to the rear. The little rhino did not stir as I moved in. As I knelt down and reached out a hand, however, it did move. And my how it moved! Up in a flash, the calf charged me at short range and butted me about viciously! Bowled over onto my backside, I managed to grab hold of an ear and then a front leg. The tussle was brief and very one-sided until the gamescouts grabbed the rhino from the rear. Even then, three grown men struggled to restrain a rhino that couldn’t weigh much more than 60 kilograms. What a feisty little fighter!

I sent one of the scouts back for the truck, and when he returned, we loaded the calf and proceeded to Roger Whittall’s house. Although rhino was now trussed up with mopani bark rope and I had its eyes covered with my shirt, it still fought us the whole way. We were all pretty beat up by the time we got home an hour later!

Jimmy is a little ray of hope in the story that is the Save Valley rhino saga and we have all fallen hopelessly in love with him. After only a few days, he has calmed down a great deal and I am now able to spend much time with him. He is feeding well and thriving, and we have high hopes for him.

I shall keep you posted on Jimmy’s progress, if you wish. I shall also keep you posted on developments with the poaching case, as and when I can. This write-up is simply to keep you informed.

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope [Re: David_Hulme]
      #76598 - 15/04/07 05:27 PM

Well done David!

I knew your story would run to the rhino calf not coming easily if it was still alive. Little wild beasts with a bit of muscle behind them "come alive" very well when they are grabbed!

It would be much appreciated if you could give us more information when the investigation and the case allows you to do so.

And keep us informed on the progress of little "Jimmy". Now all you need is a raven haired, beautiful "Dallas" (Ava Gardner from the movie "Hatari" to help you tend to the little rhino!).

Very interesting little story, even though the circumstances are unfortunate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope [Re: NitroX]
      #76608 - 15/04/07 11:04 PM

Dave,

Please keep us up-to-date on Jimmy's progress. I think baby rhino are amongst the most "cute" of baby animals out there. A photo journal, since you are a journalist, would be awesome. Publish the story some day too!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #76647 - 16/04/07 10:27 AM

David, please keep us posted on the recovery of the youngster, and also if the SOB poacher is caught.

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #76768 - 17/04/07 02:23 PM

The heck with catching him (the poacher), use him for lion bait.

scott

gmsemel
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: East Haddam, CT
Re: A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope [Re: Scott]
      #76987 - 19/04/07 03:49 PM

Seems that you need a Marine Sniper to go where the Rhino are and when this germ shows up, put a 172 gr bullet thru his forehead. You really need to kill this guy and what is worse it the Chinese that buy the horn for poentecy when the dumb jackasses could just go to the store and buy the sure thing Viraga.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #77028 - 20/04/07 02:24 AM

Good thing that you took that walk....Well done David!

Sad state of affairs that the paocher isnt yet being fed upon, but one day soon hopefully.

And now the camp has a mascot in "Jimmy" glad to read that he is alive and well and he has you to thank.

Updates on both fronts will be read with great interest.... as always thanks for the post!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #77869 - 02/05/07 07:08 PM

Dave

Although your post is born of sadness at the loss of a rhino, the hope that Jimmy brings in some small way goes to lessen the irreplacable loss. Good luck with the hand rearing, please keep us infomred of progress on that and the hanging out to dry of the poachers.

I have a friend in Norhtern Kenya who has now over a 100 rhinos at the Conservancy where he works (Lewa), they have hand raised a number of rhino in recent years and all appear to have thrived, so I am sure with the help of oyour able team this will also be a success story. The longer term issue of poaching however must I am sure remain a worry.

Good luck

Jonathan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1808

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com