Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jumbo Kills Two British Tourists

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Jumbo Kills Two British Tourists
      #74716 - 27/03/07 05:29 PM

Zimbabwe: Jumbo Kills Two British Tourists

The Herald (Harare)
March 26, 2007
Bulawayo

TWO British tourists were killed and another seriously injured when an elephant charged at them while on a safari hunt in the Hwange National Park on Saturday, police said yesterday.

The Officer Commanding Matabeleland North Province, Senior Assistant Commissioner Edmore Veterai, confirmed the incident.
Africa 2007

"I can confirm that two people were killed and one was injured. We are investigating to see if there was an act of negligence on the part of the tour guides. The company is assisting the police with investigations," he said.

The injured tourist was rushed to United Bulawayo Hospitals where he is receiving treatment.

Parks and Wildlife Management Authority Matabeleland North provincial warden, Mr Tawanda Gotosa, would not provide details, only saying the two were killed when an elephant charged at them.

"They were in the company of a tour guide. I do not know yet how they were killed as I am still gathering more information," he said.

Mr Gotosa said although tour guides are supposed to move around with weapons to protect tourists, the incident could have happened so fast that the guide could not take action. "I am not sure what action was taken by the guide but it is possible that the elephant could have charged so fast and suddenly that there was no chance for the guide to react," he said.

Mr Gotosa said his department had launched an investigation into the attack.

The names of the deceased had not been released by last night.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200703260902.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Jumbo Kills Two British Tourists [Re: NitroX]
      #74719 - 27/03/07 05:36 PM

Elephant kills tourists in Zim
26/03/2007 15:15 - (SA)

Harare - Two tourists died when an elephant charged them in western Zimbabwe, said the British embassy on Monday. A third one was admitted to hospital with serious injuries.

The identities of the tourists were being withheld until their families were informed. No further details were made available.

The Britons were on a game-viewing trip in the Hwange National Park on Saturday.

Police in the western provincial capital of Bulawayo and wildlife authorities reported investigations were under way to see whether the tour group's armed local guides had been negligent, though guides are often taken by surprise by the speed of such attacks.

Last year, Gianpaolo Tarabini, husband of Italian fashion designer Anna Molinari, was killed in an elephant attack in Zimbabwe.

Incidents go unreported

Elephants are the second most dangerous animals for humans in Zimbabwe, after crocodiles.

According to official figures of reported incidents, in 2005 elephants charged and trampled 12 people to death, including villagers trying to protect their crops from the giant herbivores that eat an average 300kg of fodder a day.

Other incidents go unreported in remote areas. No tally is available for last year.

Conservation groups say the elephant population in the western Hwange Park, the nation's largest nature reserve, has soared in the absence of regular culling measures to control the population and avert further damage to the habitat of elephant herds foraging for diminishing food sources.

Poaching, erratic rains and breakdowns of pumping equipment at manmade watering holes have affected elephants - notoriously skittish under stress - in the Hwange Park.

News24.com

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #74739 - 27/03/07 10:46 PM

Thanks,but I don't think I am going to trust ANYONE completely with my life in Elephant country.Thats ultimately my responsibility.

Thats why the good Lord gave us a brain and the ability to use firearms and Doubles in particular.

How many out there would trust their lives and the lives of loved ones to some hired tour guide??? Not me---

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Jumbo Kills Two British Tourists [Re: hoppdoc]
      #74743 - 28/03/07 12:58 AM

The gentleman was a qualified Professional Hunter of good reputation.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

#74764 - 28/03/07 04:39 AM

""Killer" elephant was wounded" per the Herald

Killer elephant 'was wounded'
27/03/2007 09:53 - (SA)

Harare - A British woman and her 10-year-old daughter were killed by a rogue elephant while her husband escaped unhurt during a hunting tour in southwestern Zimbabwe, state media reported on Tuesday.

The state-controlled Herald quoted an unnamed parks and wildlife authority official as saying Veronica Poker, 47, and her daughter Shallot died on the spot when they were attacked by a lone elephant which is believed to have been wounded, during a guided tour in the Hwange game park on Saturday.

It happened on Saturday mid-morning "when the three tourists who were accompanied by a tour guide were watching a lone elephant while they were hiding behind an anthill," the newspaper quoted the official as saying.

"It is reported that the elephant could have seen the people and started charging towards them."

He said wardens were deployed following the tragedy to track the elephant believed to be wounded.

"Wounded elephants are those that are normally aggressive," the official told the newspaper.

The official said the guide fired a shot to scare away the elephant but it kept on charging towards the touring party and trampled the guide who suffered a fractured pelvis before turning on the tourists.

National police spokesperson Wayne Bvudzijena referred questions to the police commander for the Matabeleland north province who could not be reached for comment.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1263

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com