Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nepal reopens hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Nepal reopens hunting
      #69516 - 15/01/07 05:37 PM

I received an email extra from Don Causey's Hunting Report stating that Nepal was reopening its hunting program. Top animals to be offered are Blue Sheep and Himalayan Tahr, if I remember correctly. Rates seemed very reasonable. If I weren't so stove up right now, I would certainly be giving this some serious consideration. Seems like a great opportunity to lands that have been closed to outside hunting for years. I suspect rates will rise to as interest does.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: DPhillips]
      #69522 - 15/01/07 09:05 PM

Is the Marxist insurgency in Nepal over yet, do you know?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #69548 - 16/01/07 06:04 AM

The report I read said things had calmed down. There wasn't a definitive claim one way or the other, and anyone planning to go should contact their travel or state department (that's what it is called in the U.S.) for more information on security of the region. If things have calmed and the area safe for the visiting sportsman, it does appear to be a fantastic opportunity for the mountain hunter in wonderful area of the world.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #69594 - 16/01/07 04:58 PM

Are there any Markhor in Nepal?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: AdamTayler]
      #69601 - 16/01/07 06:21 PM

I don't think so. For Markhor, right now, your only bet would be Pakistan, is my understanding. Prices running around 100K to 250K USD. Even if you have the coin, from what I understand, it is still pretty much an invitation type hunt, isn't it?

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #69619 - 17/01/07 01:09 AM

i don't think its that expensive.It used to be 25K a couple of years back.Actually all permits are picked up by the outfitters and resold at a profit.However I think it would be available for around 40K.If you are really interested I could find out.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #69651 - 17/01/07 10:55 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the marxist terrorists, but I would try to check out what the game population is like. With the problems Nepal has had these last years, I'd think there probably has been quite a lot of poaching.

FWIW, everyone I know who has been to Nepal has found it a very interesting country to travel in.

Erik

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: iqbal]
      #69677 - 17/01/07 06:08 PM

igbal,
If you find a firm price for Markhor, for the sake of conversation here, I'd love to know what Markhor are going for these days. I have seen two quotes, one which required an application to be "invited" or so the story went, was $85K before trophy fee or tips. The other was a quote on another hunting website, which may have been an auction price (likely) as it was $220,000. One was for Astor, the other was for Kashmir.

I'm not sure what the CITES permitting issues are for bringing back to USA are now either. I know at the prices I've seen, it doesn't matter to me, I cannot afford that.

I do believe, based on my mountain hunting blood and the currently "rarity" of hunting opportunities for these Mountain Kings, the area they are hunted and difficulty getting there and terrain hunted in (unless you shoot them out of the trees), the Markhor just might be the #1 game animal in the world right now. Just a mountain hunter's opinion, of course.

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: EricD]
      #69678 - 17/01/07 06:13 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the marxist terrorists, but I would try to check out what the game population is like. With the problems Nepal has had these last years, I'd think there probably has been quite a lot of poaching.

FWIW, everyone I know who has been to Nepal has found it a very interesting country to travel in.

Erik

Erik,
I think it will be very interesting to hear what the first intrepid hunters that venture into Nepalese Himalayas after Tahr or Sheep have to say about their experience on their return. I know I'd sure like to be one of those souls. Unfortunately, timing is all wrong for me.

Speaking of timing, how's the leg?

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #69682 - 17/01/07 09:01 PM

Alas, the ankle progress is going very slowly.

I'm going in for a new operation to have the metal removed in the end of March, and then they think I will probably need another operation to do some adjustments later in the year. So hunting in Nepal will not be on my menu for quite some time...

I'm hoping that getting the metal out will at least lessen the pain, and make me more functional. I'm getting kind of impatient with the whole thing.

Erik

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Nepal reopens hunting [Re: EricD]
      #69737 - 18/01/07 05:31 PM

That's very understandable. You've been down for a long while. As active as you are, that really has to hurt. I hope the rest of the recovery begins to speed along. I do hate to hear about the additional surgeries though. That is quite disheartening. Hard to keep your trust in the docs when the recovery doesn't go as well you hope, but I'm sure they do know what they are doing.

I certainly have been questioning mine. Determination is key, is guess. I'm using a Marco Polo sheep hunt as inspiration. I have no idea how in the world I'm going to make it happen, but if I can make myself physically able, I'll find a way...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #69801 - 19/01/07 12:59 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. For Markhor, right now, your only bet would be Pakistan, is my understanding. Prices running around 100K to 250K USD. Even if you have the coin, from what I understand, it is still pretty much an invitation type hunt, isn't it?

Five years ago we were selling WWF Permits for $7500. How times have changed.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com