Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Comment from African-Hunter Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: Bakes]
      #7686 - 29/01/04 08:26 AM

Bakes,
I will try. however that was said with humor but the internet does not always portray ones intention...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: atkinson6]
      #7718 - 29/01/04 11:55 AM

In reply to:

but the internet does not always portray ones intention

Thats true Ray, I think I have what is a strange sense of humor (sarcastic) by some peoples standards and sometimes I wonder if people get what I say. Which is why I make use of these little buggers alot

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #7733 - 29/01/04 02:38 PM

Ray

What you said though was very true ie really it is irrelevant to talk in generalities as to what loading to use in a double, as the specifics of any situation change it so much.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: NitroX]
      #7735 - 29/01/04 02:50 PM

Trigger selection with a double should become automatic with enough practice.

Dave

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: nopride2]
      #7794 - 30/01/04 09:22 AM

If one has to practice trigger selection with a double I suspect he has trouble chewing gum and walking at the same time...that should be easy for a 10 year old to accomplish..the rt. trigger shoots the right barrel the left trigger shoots the left barrel, the left trigger is the rear trigger, now repeat after me! the right ..................................................andso fourth.

OK, now I am going to put one or two of thoes little icons in here so no one gets ticked at my rather dry, sick, hostile, insane, since of humor

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #7804 - 30/01/04 09:56 AM

I feel left out.... my double only has one trigger...

oh well, such is life.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: NitroX]
      #9614 - 20/02/04 03:45 PM

I don't know about having the choice of shells, or the reliability advantage of a double, but I know several bolt action shooters who can work their actions unbelievably fast. There is nothing like using what you know best in tight situations. I am a guy who used only double shotguns for years until finally got a pump last year. It is hopeless for me. So I would hate to have a PH protecting me who grew up shooting affordable bolts, but now had reached the point where he could own a double. If you tell me that the PH is a professional and will be cool when a problem arises, well sounds good, but how much experience does a typical PH really have with rescuing a client in trouble? How many times in a year of working does a PH find he actually has to fire to protect a client?

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: jgttechjunkie]
      #9620 - 20/02/04 04:09 PM

Most PH that are involved in the shooting of 40 or more Buffalo every year along with elephant, Lion and Leopard, get experienced pretty quick and about every year they have an incident or more...Most get mauled, several times in a lifetime and some get killed every year..

The simplicity of a double is one of its big assets, one does not have to be life time trained to pull a trigger twice up close and personal and that is what the PH and his double is all about...Another advantage is you have the instant option of a soft or a solid with a double and that is a real plus hunting dangerous game.

You just cannot apply logic that applies to pumps, auto and bolt guns to the double rifle...

I do believe that any professional hunter should be able to operate as well with one type of gun as another, he should be well versed in all manor of hunting rifles just like a soldire should be well versed in his military weapons to survive..I cannot imagine otherwise...I, personally can pick up any hunting rifle and operate it with the same effeciency and my pet Mauser...I never have bought off on beware of the one rifle man, all that means is he is not well trained, does not like guns as much as I do and probably hasn't hunted much....

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #9622 - 20/02/04 05:06 PM

atkinson6
Good posts all.
Being well aware of the advantages of a soft/solid in a double I have practiced it here in the US while hunting with my doubles in preperation for my Africa trip. No I did not use solids for US game but applied the thoery in a different manner. Many time I carry a "soft" soft point in the right bbl and a "harder" soft point in the left. If my shot is broadside I shoot the soft soft first, if the angle is bad I shoot the hard soft first. By doing this I have trained LIVE FIRE in the "soft/solid" application of the double rifle. I can assure you that choosing the correct trigger is not a problem. When I walk I have two legs, when I hunt I have two triggers.
I do feel that this soft in the right bbl and solid in the left is one of the advantages of the double [the soft soft and hard soft works pretty good too ]. Another Big advantage is to be able to SILENTLY, and quickly change the rounds in your bbls to what ever is best for the situation at hand.
The double rifle has several very good advantages for the hunter who will use one.
All you BRT People step away from the Dark Side....Use the FORCE....Get a double.

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
      #9636 - 20/02/04 11:36 PM

That is what I suspected. One or two "incidents" a year is not enough to develop or keep up skills, there has to be more. Well trained professionals in any endeavor lose their performance edge if they don't continue to practice.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: NE450No2]
      #9715 - 21/02/04 09:58 AM

NE, there ya go calling us names again. BTW, good info.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: Bakes]
      #10161 - 26/02/04 05:26 AM

Wilbur,
I would have to challange the statement that a soft is 100 percent sure on a brain shot with Buffalo..

I have seen on several occassions wherein a soft failed on Buffalo with brain shots for a varity of reasons, but mostly bullet destruction was the culprit, but also by changing course, even richocheting off the skull due to the angle and by keyholing, thus stopping.....solids never do this on Buffalo, sometimes on elephant they will if they are round nose solids..I don't think you can stop or deflect a flat nose solid..

I have seen the same on spine shots,where they distuct the very best of super premiums, however the spine shots always put them down long enough to get in a couple of more....

All of these instances are rare and are the exception rather than the rule, but happened never the less..

That has been my reasoning for useing solids in my double. In the past I always used a soft and a solid, I usually had a soft up in my bolt gun and solids underneath, but I never had the right one in it when I needed it..A big buff facing North and me trying to quitly get a soft out and a solid in, that just never seemed to work for me, so to hell with it I use FN solids and take whatever shot I get....it works for me.

But, I prefer to hunt the dagga boys as opposed to herd hunting, when herd hunting a soft is recommended or an amount of patience to get a clear shot..

atkinson6
.375 member

#10244 - 27/02/04 09:33 AM

jgtechjunkie,
What in the world are you saying, if a PH is in on the killing of 40 buffalo, 3 or 4 Elephant, 3 Lions, 3 Leopard, and a host of plainsgame,some of which will get you, not to mention croc and hippo and those litte incidents wherein they jump out of nowhere to stomp, scratch, or bite your client to death....That seems to me pretty much a good training ground for when the real mcCoy happens and that happens to each of them every year on several ocassions, and several of them and several clients get injured or killed each year...Apparantly you are not well versed or experienced in this field of endevor...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Comment from African-Hunter Mag [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #10259 - 27/02/04 11:53 AM

dasMafia,

Just chew your gum... and remember to breathe every once in a while...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11417

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com