Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2003 Safari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
2003 Safari
      #64 - 29/12/02 02:50 AM

I am going to Zimbabwe with Swainsons Safaris in June of 2003. It is a 14 day hunt. I am going for buff, leopard, kudu, sable, zebra, chobe bushbuck, waterbuck, etc. I fly into Harare and then take charter plane to camp. I am using a Ruger M77 in .416 Rigby for the buff. I have handloaded 400gr. Swift A Frames at 2385fps, and Hornady 400 gr. solids at the same vel. I am using a .300 Weatherby with 200gr. Nosler partition factory loads for the rest.

I would like to hear any comments, suggestions, etc on gear, loads, getting through customs, how to interact with the natives, what to do on a 14+ hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg and anything else that comes to mind, like if Zimbabwe will even exist as a country next year. This is my first and probably last trip to Africa due to costs. So I want to make the best of it. I have land that I am practising with the .416 on. I have already fired 40+ rounds in practice.

Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Safari

That sounds like a fantastic hunt you have planned. I haevn't hunted with Swainsons but what I have heard of them has been good.

Buff, leopard, bushbuck and sable! Plus kudu, waterbuck and other plains game. You have some very nice animals there in your 14 day hunt. Sounds like you got a very good deal. I received an email today about end of season specials and I can tell you there are fantastic deals available (eg buff hunts available for almost only the trophy fee)

As you may be aware I will be over in Zim in a couple of weeks time after a weeks hunting in Northern South Africa, so I will be able to provide you with first hand knowledge on how things are going over there. I won't post much in answer to your post until after I get back, but I think you won't have to worry much about Zim "existing as a country". I was over there in October 1988 (and also Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya) and again in September 1994. Now again in 2002. 1988 was a little rough some places. 1994 was a big improvement. Probably 2002 will show major steps backwards. Time will tell what 2003 holds in store.

Your 300 Wby Mag load sounds a great load for plains game. I had great success with a 30-06 shooting the same bullet. Your 416 loads sound like they are loaded with effective bullet choices. And a great cartridge for the job.

I don't believe your statement "This is my first and probably last trip to Africa due to costs." I think if you are still physically able you will enjoy it so much that you will scrimp, save and beg to go again.

What concession or area does Swainsons operate in? Without looking it up I seem to remember it is either the Save Conservancy or is it Dande in the North East Zambezi Valley?

And when you come back you must tell us here all about it and post some photos.

Will correspond some more.

Nitro

Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Nitro, thanks for your response. Swainsons is in the Dande area in the Zambizi valley. The reason I am going now, is I turn 50 in a month and I wanted to treat myself to something I have wanted to do for years. I have successfully hunted big whitetails in Saskatchawan, black bear in British Columbia , Caribou in northern Quebec and Pronghorn in Wyoming. I have no wives or kids to worry about and I ended up refinancing my house to afford the trip. Because of the newer mortgage rates, it worked out very well.

I remember seeing something on the State Department site about having to fill out a long multi-part export form to take guns to Zim, even for just hunting. Is this true?

The best of luck to you on your upcoming trip I look forward to hearing from you upon your return.

Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

I have attached a target that I just shot today. All the relevent data is on it. Now all I need is one more session to get it exactly centered at 100 yds. As you can see, it is basically accurate load.

.416 Rigby Target.jpg

Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Safari

Great small group. I can see 4 holes. Is it a 4 shot group or 5? Pity about the flier but its often the case. But no flies on that group for a 416!

Co-incidently I shot some more groups from my 375 yesterday and was surprised by the results. Previously I have been getting fairly average results (1 1/2 to 3 inches - OK for actual use of course) - which could be my shooting as I am not so patient nowadays. But yesterday with slightly windy conditions I shot a number of excellent 3 shot groups from less than 1/2 an inch to 1 1/2. Will post the graphics at a later date.

Dug some bullets out of the soil too. The Woodleigh RNSPs were a picture of mushrooms and broken. Not surprising from sandy soil with some solid matter. The Barnes Xs and the Winchester Fail Safe factory loads were classic X point petals. The factory loads shot well too with 1 1/2 group and good velocity. Faster than I have got so far.

As you can guess I am a year behind you in load development! Pushing it for this trip and need some good weather. Have had plenty of practice though in the past with lighter bullets (ie 220 / 235 grainers).

Nitro

PS Unusual target shape on your posted target

Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Nitro, I have a CD with 300 targets on it. When I want to go shooting, I decide which one I want to use for that occasion, and I just print it out. I then paste a 1" bright orange sticker in the center to help my sighting. It is called "Click -n-Shoot and it was less than $20US over the net. The group on the target is 4 shots. They were my last 4 rounds of that load. I have to make some more to finish sighting the gun. Even with a PAST recoil pad on my shoulder, I can take only 10 rounds of that .416 before I start flinching.

Like you, I tried to find some of the fired bullets, but my backstop is very dry, hard soil bulldozed out of the side of a large hill. All I have been able to recover is chunks of lead, and pieces of copper jacket. The next time I go out, I will take a pic of my range and attach it.

On a non-hunting note, how are things in Australia for gun owners these days. I seem to remember confiscations of auto-loaders, pumps, etc. Even shotguns. How hard it is it to own a gun over there?

Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

I took some digital photos during my last range session. For once I was doing the shooting at a sensible time in mid afternoon with good light and great weather (except for some wind). Usually it is the last 1/2 just before dark. Enjoyed that session but ran out of prepared ammo. And it was too windy for lighter calibres. Didn't affect the 375 much.

I usually limit my shots to about 15 rounds at the bench for the 375. I usually notice it around 10 to 12 and give up soon after. Better not to develop bad habits eg flinching. Its good to use plenty of padding as well and setup your bench so as to sit as upright as possible. People that shoot the larger big bores often also use special "post" rests so they are fully standing but still have firm rests for accurate shooting. Sounds a good idea for the .45s and much larger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gun laws here aren't that bad but as you are aware there were some ridiculous changes. However the Government has a strategt to reduce the number of privately held firearms (ie legal ones) and is working to that ultimate goal. For example everytime your licence comes up for renewal they make it hard or tedious to reapply eg you need to supply full documentation yet again - letters from clubs, employer letters etc etc. A pain in the neck. And I have to do EVERY YEAR because the licences types I have (ie restricted firearms). I'm sure that when some new nutter goes on the rampage they will try something again eg ban pistols, or demand firearms be held in "central repositories". Then the laws will be absolutely ridiculous.

The main requirements is you need a genuine reason to own a firearm eg hunting, club use, farming, etc. Self defence is not a valid reason for a firearm. Pump action and semi-auto shotguns are banned. Semi-auto rifles are banned. You can get one rimfire and one shotgun in these types but only if you can justify them for eg agricultural reasons. Large capacity centrefire magazines are also not allowed. Pistols are only for target shooting. etc. All firearms have to be registered

So far there is no restriction on the numbers you can own, but I am sure this will come. Thereby a good strategy is to build up numbers NOW.

During the "gun buyback" I had to surrender a 7.62x39 SKK semi-auto, but was compensated and bought a much better rifle - a .308 Browning lever action. Far more powerful, more accurate and more effective! The SKK was really only a "play" rifle. Used to setup plastic drink bottles with coloured water and rapid shoot them with 30 round clips. Could go through 150 rounds quickly when it would be a major session for me to shoot 40 rounds through the 30-06. Still have 4500 rounds of 7.62x39. Will have to buy a Chinese bolt action to shoot those. Be good for snap shooting practice. I used to grind off the tips of the bullets and use them on goats and pigs as well, but pretty variable results fom that.

Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

I have a set of Stoney Point V style shooting sticks that telescope to any hight you want, and I have been firing the .416 offhand with those. You are right, the felt recoil is much less than from the bench. I also had the gun Mag Na Ported, as I live only 5 miles from their world headquarters, and that has helped as well.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2079

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com